Winter Bivvy Cymru - details

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Taylor

Re: Winter Bivvy Cymru - details

Post by Taylor »

KBRPro wrote:What was the winning meal last year? The misses is up for having a crack at the title.....I'm up for eating whatever is made. :-)

From Daves blog,

Ian laid out a three course meal upon wooden planks consisting of full cheese board, petit fours and a fresh curry type construction upon fragrant rice. His attention to detail was admirable, with the cheeseboard foreshortened to save weight on the bike. However, the clear winners had to be Matt and Taylor. Between them they’d baked a camembert for starters, ate a main course of cooked vegetables and moose, prepared layered chocolate mousse for desert and washed it all down with a dubious champagne that probably should not have been pink. Their meal was documented in paper menus and they wore dinner jacket and tie as well. Admittedly the clothing was a tenuous 2D imprint upon a t-shirt but the effort was commendable. Remember this was all carried to the barn upon their bikes.

There's other pictures kicking around on here but I'm trying to get the kids dressed as super heroes for children in need today at school.
custardfeet

Post by custardfeet »

I fancy this if I can get my pass stamped. Have just looked at the map and if I can make it could offer a lift to Birmingham Shrewsbury way folks, have a van, so can fit in five. Scott if you could stand my company.
Karl

Post by Karl »

My misses (Cat) rang me up tonight to let me know she's trialled the main course tonight and loved it. Only got to decide starters and dessert then we'll be ready for the winter bivvy.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Okay ... seeing how every other part of the nation seems organised, I thought maybe I should make a bit of an effort. Mike and myself shall be setting off from BB Towers on Thursday and winding our way northwards via numerous bogs and tussocks to hopefully reach Llanndrillo late Sat morning. The route for the Sat / Sun is still 'fluid' and I thought it best to see who turns up and what the conditions are like ... this state of affairs is also known as 'winging it'.

Come prepared for a roofless night, bring some lights and we may or may not get to visit a public house, so bring food.

Seeing as I won't be around to man the BB hotline from Thursday morning onwards, can we have a final show of hands now, just so no one gets forgotten, left behind or what have you.

So far, I believe it looks like this.

Me
Mike
Scott
Burty
Steve
Karl
Cat
May the bridges you burn light your way
Stevemorg

Post by Stevemorg »

As long as I've shifted this bug that's kept me in bed since Friday I'll be there
burty

Post by burty »

one here sir ,
no pub and a roofless night :shock: , what kind of a outfit are you running .
I had better pack proper stuff then instead of fluffing it :-bd
custardfeet

Post by custardfeet »

Would love to be joining you, but have gone an organised a local bivvy entitled 'The Twelve Pubs Of Christmas'. A gruelling 40 mile off-road ride & twelve pubs, well it will be gruelling with all that beer on board!

Have fun, we will.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

@Andy - I want pictures of the bivvy site once you all land after the 12th pub...any wagers on how much of a disaster that could be in a photograph? :)

@Stu - yeah...I'll be there...maybe even a touch earlier now I have the nod from werk to bugger off before Sat.

Greetz

S.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Me and Cat will be there so...........correct and present SIR!
custardfeet

Post by custardfeet »

Scott, being able to take a photo after the twelth pub would be amazing in itself. Staying at my Forest Schools site & will be stashing kit in my lock up. A bit of luxury riding with unloaded bikes & the bivvy site has a large tarp shelter and fire pit. But we still need to get there & set up after all that beer.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

12 pubs + fire ... what could possibly go wrong :wink:
Mike

Post by Mike »

I'm not sure after 12 pubs I'd be bivying a pint a pub I'd be in the intensive care unit!
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

custardfeet wrote:Would love to be joining you, but have gone an organised a local bivvy entitled 'The Twelve Pubs Of Christmas'. A gruelling 40 mile off-road ride & twelve pubs, well it will be gruelling with all that beer on board!

Have fun, we will.
I confess to organising a similar event a few years ago, albeit not so tough.We called it "The Gallon Ride". Started and finished in Shrewsbury, eight pubs, eight pints, eighteen miles. We actually had nine because we were having so much fun at the last one. After the ride, one of our number crashed into the Welsh Bridge (on his bike), another fell asleep in the grass alongside a path on the river bank and one wiped out in the centre of Shrewsbury, dislocating a collar bone.

Good times.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
custardfeet

Post by custardfeet »

This is the second we've done, shorts & halves are the order of the day to ensure we survive. With 40 miles riding over 9 hours, should burn a lot of it off.
Stevemorg

Post by Stevemorg »

Can't seem to shift this bug so it looks like I'm out
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sorry to hear that Steve ... looks like we're low on numbers compared to last years bumper turnout :wink:
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I'm still cleaning up after Desmond decided to dump a load of water on Carlisle at the weekend.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Easier to shoehorn smaller numbers into abandoned buildings in the middle of nowhere ;)

Lois is back from the shop and rarin' to go. Should be a good 'un.

Greetz

S.
Stevemorg

Post by Stevemorg »

Disappointed not to be coming - rooster and Lunar Solo LE not yet used on an overnighter but if I'm just not up to it ATM - hopefully I'll get out more in 2016!
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: ... looks like we're low on numbers compared to last years bumper turnout...
I was hoping to make a last minute nod that I'd be there but the Mrs is on one at the mo so I'm defo out :oops:
Have a good one
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
burty

Post by burty »

Do you know whereabouts your stopping on Friday night stu ?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Do you know whereabouts your stopping on Friday night stu ?
In all honesty, I've got no real idea. I have seen a couple of spots on the map but whether we'll reach either of them ........

You can always give Mike a call Fri afternoon as we'll probably have a much better idea by then.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Looking at the weather forecast I think we may get wet this weekend :grin:
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

The participants of the Welsh winter bivi that have already been out for a couple of nights want to know if anyone else is bailing - they are currently sat in the cafe in Bala . . . Very soggy . . . Sounds like decision time for some as to whether they continue
Last edited by adjustablewench on Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Post by Mike »

For those coming we r soaked it's hammering it down and cold but we r in the cafe so all is good. Interesting night last night at an old farm house. Shot guns at midnight :o