Borders 350 ITT. Group Start Date Set.

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

johnnystorm

Re: Borders 350 ITT.

Post by johnnystorm »

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese August mass start else there's no chance of me taking part! :wink:
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I have been looking at the route with regards to facilities and apart from the obvious towns I think you will find very little apart from -
Broughton NT112366 - probably a pub, possibly a shop and cafe.
Kirk/Town Yetholm NT823280 - pub, probably a shop, possibly a cafe.
Alwinton NT920063 - pub, campsite which probably has a shop with limited hours, possibly a shop.
Looks like food stock ups will need to be carefully planned.
I will still take notes on my way round though.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I can see a detour to wooler happening tbh. its nice there anyway ;-)
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

ianfitz wrote:I can see a detour to wooler happening tbh. its nice there anyway ;-)
I agree with that. 75 miles from Newcastleton to Wooler (which is not far off route) with nothing in between apart from Kirk Yetholm but if you have got that far then it's not much further to Wooler which has a lot more to offer, (you could divert to Kielder but I can't see anyone doing that unless they have a real problem, 4.5 miles each way) followed by 60 miles to Jedburgh with nothing unless you detour to Alwinton ( 1 mile each way) but again, not much on offer there (the pub does do food though).
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Broughton has a cafe (just at the start of the Biggar road) and garage with a small shop. There is no pub - it got flattened for housing years ago...
Including Kielder in the route may be worth a thought as it has a good shop, a pub, a cafe in the forestry visitor centre and a campsite for those looking for a night of luxury.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

htrider wrote: for those looking for a night of luxury.
Now, now, there will be none of that sort of thing thank you. :wink:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Ray Young wrote:
htrider wrote: for those looking for a night of luxury.
Now, now, there will be none of that sort of thing thank you. :wink:
I reckon it should only go on if you at on the entire keilder 100 route. That should negate the luxury fairly effectively :-bd
Karl

Post by Karl »

Has a date been set for the group start? Looking forward to riding this soon and was hoping to join in on the group start if it fits in.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

KBRPro wrote:Has a date been set for the group start? Looking forward to riding this soon and was hoping to join in on the group start if it fits in.
OK. GROUP START 9.00 AM Saturday August 29, 2015. That's the weekend of the English/Welsh bank holiday. The start/finish is Peebles in the Scottish Borders.

Max 50 riders, first come, first served. For entry email me at borders350ittATgmailDOTcom with your name and I will reply to confirm receipt of your email.

Final route gpx will be sent out no later than four weeks prior to the start date but probably much sooner.

I'm hoping to set up a blog page but don't hold your breath.
johnnystorm

Re: Borders 350 ITT. Group Start Date Set.

Post by johnnystorm »

Argh. Clashes with the Tywi ton!
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

If you want I'll do that for you.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Richpips wrote:
If you want I'll do that for you.
Hi Rich, I am currently playing with a google blog page but may well take you up on that, thanks. I'll let you know.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Hi people, you may have read Stu has mentioned the Borders350 in his news letter which is great but he has said the start is Moffat which is unfortunately wrong. Originally it was going to start there but I changed the start to Peebles. Thanks all and thanks again for the heads up Stu :-bd .

Max 50 riders, currently 10 signed up, email your full name to me at borders350ittATgmailDOTcom if you want in, thanks.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sorry Ray, I just looked at the first post for my info ... I did see the mention of a route change but rather stupidly didn't think to check whether that might actually include the start.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

No probs Stu, sure people will still be along :wink: .
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Looking forward to this already. Hmmm, Ice Cream Truck or Krampus....
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Was out riding a chunk of this over the last three days and I must say that it's coming together very well. The Wheel Causeway through Wauchhope Forest is now out due to too many fallen trees, this has been replaced with Kielder Forest. This makes resupply a bit easier and puts Spithope Bothy on route. I also found what looks to be a another on route bothy at NY343977 which comes after Greensykes. It's an old mobile home done out with bunk beds and a cooker but no gas in the bottle when I passed. No lock on the door, just a latch with tent peg to secure it. Only got a small section to check near Wooler now then it's complete.

Spithope Bothy, 18 feet by 10 feet and one of the cosiest bothies I have slept in.
Imagecheviots 002 by youngray50, on Flickr

Imagecheviots 001 by youngray50, on Flickr

The Cheviot Hills.
Imagecheviots 010 by youngray50, on Flickr
Imagecheviots 003 by youngray50, on Flickr
Imagecheviots 009 by youngray50, on Flickr
Imagecheviots 013 by youngray50, on Flickr
Imagecheviots 015 by youngray50, on Flickr
Imagecheviots 016 by youngray50, on Flickr

Cheviot Hills wild goats, they normally run a mile when they see you but this lot let me ride straight through them. No Billy goat in evidence so maybe that was why.
Imagecheviots 008 by youngray50, on Flickr
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Excellent Ray, I'd been doing a bit of research on geograph and had the wheel causeway section pegged as a bit of a death march so I'm glad its out in favour of the pub in Kielder!
Look forward to getting the final route
Phil
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

htrider wrote:Excellent Ray, I'd been doing a bit of research on geograph and had the wheel causeway section pegged as a bit of a death march so I'm glad its out in favour of the pub in Kielder!
Look forward to getting the final route
Phil
Yes, the Wheel Causeway was really the only section that I had any major concerns about. When I originally started planning the route I was trying to incorporate as many ancient highways, Roman roads etc that I could. After the route started taking shape I became less concerned with that element of it so I am not particularly bothered that it has gone and as you say Kielder pub is a bonus. Does good basic pub grub too, :-bd .
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Just rode the last section of this today and glad I did cos it needs changing. Some unexpected bikehike, bogtrotting and fence jumping, what was once lovely moorland track now boring hardpack and a huge kennel right next to a farm that you would pass. What a bloody racket, anyone passing at night would not be popular. The good news is I already know the alternative routing so look forward to the full gpx tonight or tomorrow :-bd .
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Capital trail route perchance? Or up through Cardrona??
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Sorry, no where near, Ingram/Alwinton area :wink: . Maybe I should have said the last section I had not ridden (in a long while).
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Hi Ray

I have a plan to drive to Moffat next Tuesday, park there somewhere, and set off after lunch-ish...

Here's an overview showing bothies and distances from Moffat.

I will probably exclude the eastern loop (I calculated it at about 78 miles and nearly 15000 feet ascent), because I have limited time...
ImageBorders350Part by Eric Robinson, on Flickr

In total it's about 250 miles (ascent is probably 15k less than your total of 38k = 23k feet)

Good luck to all setting off tomorrow :-bd
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Just packing the bike up now for an early drive down to Peebles in the morning. Good job I checked the route on the GPS, it didn't have the finalised route on it :oops: :roll: .

Liking your map Ericrobo, the bit of bog you have marked as big is not actually big, just awkward to get through as it is very bitty. Just keep skirting right to get past it, only takes a few minutes.

I think I will be back sometime Tuesday but what time on Tuesday is anyone's guess.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Who did we speak with at Kielder campsite on wed 2nd who was in the group start then?