UCI adopt Gravel?!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Re: UCI adopt Gravel?!

Post by jameso »

I'm really boring with food stops but that helps avoid faff I think. Staples include cold ravioli in a can (x2) or rice pudding to be eaten outside the shop or bread, ham and cheese for dinner sandwiches, squashable/packable stuff. Soreen straps to the bars once the packet has a small hole in it. If I see something nice on the way round I grab it, usually just a bonus savoury something.
Taiwan 7-11s may be the best touring food stops, you can get little packs of rice and fried chicken or fish like a sushi roll. Dense and great bike fuel, cheap. Sometimes you get a filling that is mystery-WTF as a sort of bonus. Bento boxes are good too. They have indoor seated areas facing the street and microwaves for noodle bowls, interesting alternative to cafe culture on a France or Italy tour.
chapter including
race prep,
feeding stations
and showers & bike washes,
Thinking of how gravel riding in many ways originated in the US with the DK200 and other races, this makes sense? I know 'cross and tracker bikes in the 70s came before all that but a book about Gravel as a 'thing' can't skip the USA day-race roots (routes).
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Thinking of how gravel riding in many ways originated in the US with the DK200 and other races, this makes sense? I know 'cross and tracker bikes in the 70s came before all that but a book about Gravel as a 'thing' can't skip the USA day-race roots (routes).
You're absolutely right - a book about gravel racing can't and shouldn't skip those things at all. My objection is that in this case, two things are combined which are actually quite dissimilar, yet seemingly pushed as being one and almost the same. Petty? Probably but I've come to dislike the assumption that gravel is bikepacking and bikepacking is gravel :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:44 am
You're absolutely right - a book about gravel racing can't and shouldn't skip those things at all. My objection is that in this case, two things are combined which are actually quite dissimilar, yet seemingly pushed as being one and almost the same. Petty? Probably but I've come to dislike the assumption that gravel is bikepacking and bikepacking is gravel :wink:
Very true.
You may as well have a book about Grand Tour racing and include some chapters on touring.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
jameso

Post by jameso »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:44 am
I see. I know what you mean about the mainstream association. That helps sell this book, I'm sure. And there's certainly riders out there struggling on 'UK gravel' on under-capable bikes which make great road and occasional byway tourers. The bike industry calling drop-bar 40mm tyred bikes 'Adventure Bikes' for off-road use while MTBs were seen as needing 150mm suspension etc (rather than some 29ers being sold as perfect adventure bikes) probably responsible for some of this. A debateable chicken-egg thing.
My take on it is the industry reacts to what takes after testing the waters rather than really controlling or directing any of this, marketing influences us but rarely dictates the path. 'people like us do things like this' and movements grow as a kind of bubble where most people opt in rather than look to the niches. That thing they opt into gets reflected back to them by anyone looking for sales. (not telling you anything you don't know, just explaining my take generally). So to present the other side, the experience as a balance to the presented ideal, is valuable.
jameso

Post by jameso »

You may as well have a book about Grand Tour racing and include some chapters on touring.
A book titled 'Road Cycling' could feature GT racing and touring, so 'Gravel Cycling' could include DK200, Badlands and bikepacking/touring, plus the UCI Gravel Worlds whenever that happens?

I'm just not reading that sub-header as meaning it's the complete guide to Adventure Bikepacking, rather that the main title sets the context. But I do see you and Stuart's point if you read it that way. And I'd never claim to be a first-time bullseye level comprehension type of reader either.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Similarly, I watched that STW film about the birth of British MTB and was struck by the fact it was all about racing. I can see that there would be little film involving tussocks and mountains right enough, but still...
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:45 pm We did once run a winter event where all the GR were Spar. I actually find the Coop more dangerous as they usually have a greater choice ... I once came out with a full cooked chicken, 4 muffins, a big block of cheese, 2 pints of milk and a box of cereal :-bd
Wow!
This is proper snacking.
I did once toy with the idea of constructing a mini-pork pie dispensing bandolier, kind of like one of those gilets (?) That runners use to store their gels.
How much of your haul was consumed on the spot?
Grubby little urchin.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Kumquat wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:08 pm I did once toy with the idea of constructing a mini-pork pie dispensing bandolier, kind of like one of those gilets (?) That runners use to store their gels..
what a Brill idea....
perfect for colder clims.
but too cold, you loose ya dentures. :lol: that toothless laugh gif sums it up perfecktly :o
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..