Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ScotRoutes

Affric Kintail Way on a chubster

Post by ScotRoutes »

ianfitz

Re: Affric Kintail Way on a chubster

Post by ianfitz »

Enjoyed reading that Colin. During the ht550 I saw signs for it and wondered where it went. I also wondered how 'that' descent that we were pushing up would ride the other way.

If you saw my tyre track there I was still on it at that stage. Only later in the great glen did the suffering really get started...
adrianwr

Post by adrianwr »

I opted for the ride west out of gleb affic heading down kintail. The bike was loaded with the standard alpkit luggage. After setting off from fort william by the time u went past the youth hostel at tbe top of glen affuc I was tired but pressed on planning to get to morvick. The route down kintail was tough. I ended pushing cos couldn't hop bike over the many many waterbars. Maybe if some of the luggage was on my back and not over the handle bars I could have zipped down the steep trail but I'm not sure. The lesson i learnt was to distribute my gear equally around the bike when there are steep descents on trails that are footpaths.
Attachments
20160527_183112.jpg
(3.24 MiB) Downloaded 331 times
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

It would certainly make a difference to be on a full-sus and have no luggage (and be in company!!!!)
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

...just around the corner... looks like great riding and scenery. Cheers
adrianwr wrote: of glen affuc
Sorry for pointing this little slip of the pen; that's what I thought after I had enough of the lovely landscape roughly a month ago. Ahh fuc :lol:
adrianwr wrote:The lesson i learnt was to distribute my gear equally around the bike when there are steep descents on trails that are footpaths.
Exactly what I thought when I started bikepacking (in a place full of hiking paths). I'll go with a rucksack too when things get a little techy. And when I'm planning only mostly only tech stuff, gear on the bike is about a pound. Rest is all in 20 L rucksack.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Nice Route Colin, photos look great - Might have a go at this when I'm up nth in a few weeks time
Notice the website only has maps - do you know if there is a GPX file?
Cheers
Martin
2924 miles per Gallon
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I could send you a GPX file in a couple of days? Not at home at the moment....
Mart

Post by Mart »

That would be cool thanks :-bd
2924 miles per Gallon
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've added a download link to the foot of the trip report.