Foam mats

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Foam mats

Post by jameso »

Got a ride in mind, would like to try something more minmal/quick. But needs to be compact, ideally fitting an Alpkit 8l drybag with a couple of mytimugs worth of space inside the roll.

Any recommendations for foam roll mats that don't take up a lot of space? I guess thin means uncomfy but on the right ground for a couple of hours it could be OK .. maybe ..
whitestone

Re: Foam mats

Post by whitestone »

What I've used in the Alps and also Mountain Marathon type fell races is three sections of Karrimat or similar cut to a size that they fit inside the sleeve in the back of a rucksack. A sack like the OMM sack already comes with one so it's a case of cutting two more. Tape the three bits together so that you can fold the whole lot up. Total weight is about 100g. Probably won't fit inside an 8L drybag (haven't tried) but if you use a bar harness you could fit it behind the dry bag.

I don't have photos but could grab some when I get home.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Si

Post by Si »

If it was only for a couple of hours on the right ground I would not bother taking one
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Go outdoors sell a fairly thin and very light, blue coloured mat.

A trimmed torso length one is about 70g and folded in thirds then rolled up will leave enough space in the centre of an 8l bag to fit a down bag and small bivy.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Si, true, but it keeps things clean and a bit warmer than just grass. It'd be used with a half-quilt open bag so I'd like something for the upper 3/4. Difference in comfort between a bench and a foam mat on a bench is enough for me to take it if it's compact enough!

Good point on fitting it between harness and bag. Could just use a 4l drybag inside for the sleeping bag + bivi with a cut or gaffer-tape seam folded section mat around it. Has to fit between some drops. TK Maxx sell a few cheapies to try out. tbh all a bit pointless over my Neo-Air 3/4 at 250g, just to try something simpler and save 150g off the bar weight while I'm at it.
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

Get the cheapest foil backed one you can from ebay and chop it down to torso length, trimmed corners etc. The foil makes a surprising amount of difference for me personally. Don't bother punching holes in it to lighten it, I saved 5 grams but wasted 2 hours :oops:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Ben98 wrote:Get the cheapest foil backed one you can from ebay and chop it down to torso length, trimmed corners etc. The foil makes a surprising amount of difference for me personally. Don't bother punching holes in it to lighten it, I saved 5 grams but wasted 2 hours :oops:

I've also used that twin foil wrapped bubble wrap which is surprisingly warm too. Think I have a roll of it in the cellar if you want me to look James?
jameso

Post by jameso »

Ben98 wrote:I saved 5 grams but wasted 2 hours :oops:
Classic .. :grin: and there was me worrying I was getting weenie.

Thanks Ian. I'm after something that can be used on ground with thorns etc, something totally reliable. But pre-flatted might pack well and have some insulation ..? Basically it's for quick kips in bus shelters or in woodland where there's often soft yet a bit spiky undegrowth. Might be good to try it if you have enough to spare a bit for swaps + post etc.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

jameso wrote:
Ben98 wrote:I saved 5 grams but wasted 2 hours :oops:
Classic .. :grin: and there was me worrying I was getting weenie.

Thanks Ian. I'm after something that can be used on ground with thorns etc, something totally reliable. But pre-flatted might pack well and have some insulation ..? Basically it's for quick kips in bus shelters or in woodland where there's often soft yet a bit spiky undegrowth. Might be good to try it if you have enough to spare a bit for swaps + post etc.
Happy to. Email me a postal address and I'll send some over.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Thanks Ian, will PM. Got a multimat for a fiver in Millets this am, 180g for full size, will try both or a combo.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Talking of the foil lined ones,I've been using a winter car windscreen cover,
It's not a really cheap one (they fall apart), I think it was from Costco,folds
Very flat,use it under my tent(s) as a groundsheet and as a top layer on a foam
Mat,makes a real difference to body temp at night :-bd