2016 Highland Trail (group start)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ScotRoutes

Re: 2016 Highland Trail (group start)

Post by ScotRoutes »

GregMay wrote:Someone spiked the weather I believe.

:-bd
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

The weather was and is still lovely in Scotland. If I'd have known it was going to be this lovely, I'd have taken 8 days, got a perfect tan and saved myself a ton of pain! :???:
Ian

Post by Ian »

Whilst being much more pleasant to ride in, the sun does create a different set of problems; dehydration, sunburn/stroke etc.

And I'm sure the dust was so thick in places it slowed me down :lol:

Seriously though, even when it's dry, it's still a hard route!
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

ianfitz wrote:I'd echo what phil said. And would add that there's no right way.

You need to find what works for you. Out of the first 5 of us to finish the HT550 I'm (by far) the slowest rider. Philip is super quick, Javi is as strong as anything, Lee is two years out of being an elite level racer, Liam was a pro roadie until recently...

Out of 101 hours total time I was only off the bike for 17 hours. That includes eating, sleeping, faffing, gates. That's only reason I was able to finish so high up the field.
I hope you're going to write up your observations on this fantastic ride. You have clearly thought a lot about this and ridden a very smart race. I am really interested to know what you learned; preparations, kit, strategy and tactics: what worked, what did you modify, and what would you have done differently?

Massive congratulations on a cracking result.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote: what worked, what did you modify, and what would you have done differently?

Amusing - I asked Ian to think about almost these exact things when we spoke on the phone last night, slightly different way of phrasing it, and something I do after every big thing I do:
* What did you do well?
* What did others do that you could adopt?
* What did others do that you avoided?
philipft

Post by philipft »

WOW! Did that really just happen? A truly unbelievable few days, once Ive come back down from the ceiling I might actually do a write up this time, so many inspirational people and places, I spent most of the last day back to Tyndrum in floods of tears, then more of the same in the car driving home on Thursday morning. So many highlights I'll cover in my write up, but one sums it up, got caught by Bryan Singleton going up the hill from Kinlocheven to the Devils Staircase he offered to ride to the line together, I declined, he'd worked so hard to get there he deserved whatever place he finished in anyway I was spent and wouldn't have been able to keep up, he reached the top of the climb about 20m ahead shouted 'wow! look at that', and disappeared off down the swooping ribbon of singletrack to finish in 6th. I was left 'looking at that', the huge glacial valley that is Glencoe, the sky stained red from the sunset and no sound other than the echoes of the history that had taken place in the valley in centuries past. Its been a privilege to just have been a part of it.
Nikk

Post by Nikk »

Echoing philipft... I can't believe what just happened. Feels like an out of body experience now sat back at home with a few glasses of bubbly in me and every inch sore and tired. 6 days outside, riding all day every day, sleeping for 4, 5, 6 hours in my tent, then riding again. Weather was amazing, too hot and dusty if anything. Company was magic. I don't think I'll be able to top that experience in my lifetime, the hardest and most epic thing I have ever managed. And third attempt,I completed. Pressure off, 3 years of trying, endless training rides paid off. It is going to take a while to come down from that.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Well done everyone, was great to watch and great to hear the stories trickling in :-bd
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I love it. Nice job guys. :)
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

What's happening with smiling Zane? Come on Zane, you'll miss your flight home..... :-bd

Chuffed for you Phil - you looked gutted at Drumbeg stores last year.
Scott L

Post by Scott L »

I'd like to echo the sentiments of Ian, Phil and the other finishers.

This was my first HTR and first ever bike packing event and was like nothing I've ever experienced before and I'm not sure if I will be able to ever put into words quite how I feel following the event. It was very special.

It was an absolute privilege to be a part of and to every rider who I shared it with, thank you.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Great post to read philipft .. wow. Congratulations to you and ScottL! And nikk, 3rd time paid off and what a year to complete it. Imagine missing it this year after 2 attampts : ) Well earned.
atk

Post by atk »

Looks like it's a 25 mile push to the finish for Rich and Shona :(

https://twitter.com/keep_pedalling/stat ... 2086640641
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

atk wrote:Looks like it's a 25 mile push to the finish for Rich and Shona :(

https://twitter.com/keep_pedalling/stat ... 2086640641
That'll polish out :wink:

What a nightmare situation, 25 miles doesn't sound far but in the mountains with broken shoes, well, that's sole destroying...

I'll get my coat!
Karl

Post by Karl »

I'm not sure what to write as I'm still taken back by the whole event and what has happened over the last week.

Not sure we'll get a weeks riding like that again for a long time. Alan's route is a masterpiece, alot of care and attention has gone into producing a world class route.

I've learnt alot about myself this week and how if you give yourself a little time and use your head you can overcome any problem.

Along the way I've had a laugh, had a cry, and met some of the nicest crazy people you could ever hope to meet........thank you Alan G you are a legend.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Bummer for Shona and Rich. There will be a few bits they'll still be able to ride I expect to make the final passage easier.

--

Great to read posts from Scott, Phil, Nik, Karl and others. Finishing the HT is a genuinely moving experience, and I saw Lee Craigie described her ride as life changing. These are not over exaggerated statements; the level of commitment required mentally and physically can be so consuming and intense, that when you finish it takes a while for the mind to catch up with the scale of what's been achieved.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Great to read posts from Scott, Phil, Nik, Karl and others. Finishing the HT is a genuinely moving experience, and I saw Lee Craigie described her ride as life changing. These are not over exaggerated statements; the level of commitment required mentally and physically can be so consuming and intense, that when you finish it takes a while for the mind to catch up with the scale of what's been achieved.
Very true Ian. I believe that even shorter / easier trips can be a catalyst for 'life changing', so it's no surprise that something like the HT has a profound and long lasting effect on people.
May the bridges you burn light your way
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Agree with Ian, something like the HTR is always going to do something to you deep down. It's how willing you are to accept that and then adopt that into your life that makes the biggest change. Something I've tried to do anyway.
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

A proper adventure, in stunning scenery with great people, a true classic :-bd
The very special Fisherfield experience will stay with me for some time.

Andy
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Looks like Zane is on the move again after a long stop over in Kinlochewe. Well done to all and good to catch up with a few folk the other day - I'll look forward to the write ups. If someone can post links on this thread to peoples write ups that would be great so us armchair racers can re-live the experience all over again :-bd
Karl

Post by Karl »

Was this one of us lot getting too hungry this week?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-h ... s-36447792
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I must say, whilst the ride as a whole scares the sh*t out of me... reading about it here has made me really want to give it a go.
JamesR

Post by JamesR »

So these are looking a little large, sorry about that. I can put up smaller ones if it makes the thread too slow...

I spent last week trying to follow the Highland Trail through a combination of driving, riding and walking. I wanted to do two things - not get in the way and spoil the isolation/self-supported nature of the ride and secondly to try and capture how it feels. I wish I'd be able to get a few more remote shots, but just didn't have time to get into Fisherfield while covering everything else I wanted to.

All the edits are through my phone, so there's a bit more noise and grain when viewed at this size.

Ian

Post by Ian »

Great one of me at Oykel Bridge there James :-bd
Sums up the cumulative pain up the that point with the realisation of what is yet to come...
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Biggest smile competition....

A group of us where at the finish line to see Marshall Bird (US visitor and veteran of the TD, CTR & AZT) complete the route and part of the conversation between Alan G and Marshall is worth repeating ;

Alan G - So how does the HT550 compare to the TD, CTR and AZT Marshal ?
Marshal - The HT is much, much harder, the CTR has one section you couldn't ride this has fifteen !
Alan G - No response in words just a huge smile :grin:

I think its fair to say that Alan has created one of the hardest and most scenic routes in the world :-bd
"What is man but the sum of his memories"