2016 Highland Trail (group start)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Calzzak

Re: 2016 Highland Trail (group start)

Post by Calzzak »

NewRetroTom wrote:Just been comparing the old Torridon section against the new one. I reckon the new one is ~ 2.5 hours faster based on Liam's time and mine from last year.

Alan's definitely made the route too easy now.

I hadn't realised the Torridon section had changed! Is there a reason why? The route they're taking is way faster, and definitely not as much fun...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Calzzak wrote:
NewRetroTom wrote:Just been comparing the old Torridon section against the new one. I reckon the new one is ~ 2.5 hours faster based on Liam's time and mine from last year.

I hadn't realised the Torridon section had changed! Is there a reason why? The route they're taking is way faster, and definitely not as much fun...
Alan posted on here a while ago about the changes:

On day 1, after just 3 miles on the WHW the new route will take a right turn at Auch. There follows 65 miles through all new territory. Scenic double track up past Loch Lyon, down Glen Lyon on tarmac to Bridge of Balgie (café/shop) and then off road north past Loch Rannoch, Loch Ericht and Loch Pattack until it re-joins the current route just before Laggan Wolftrax. A big thank you to Phil Clarke (Fat Bike Phil) who suggested this new section. I rode it a few weeks ago and was very impressed, only a couple of miles of pushing and a superb 10 mile singletrack on the flanks of Ben Alder. Going this way avoids the relatively busy Tyndrum to Kinlochleven section and misses the boggy trail across to Loch Treig.

The second change is the exit from Fisherfield. It will go to Kinlochewe via Letterewe on the Postman’s Path, an historic track that goes down the east side of Loch Maree. This is mostly singletrack, not all of it rideable. The disadvantage with this track is that parts of it will disappear under bracken by the end of June. Hopefully it should be fine in May. Going this way avoids the “horse sh*t bog”, the Tollie Path and the main road to Kinlochewe but on the downside also the fantastic last 5km of flowing singletrack out of Fisherfield. By missing Poolewe and with no services at Letterewe you’ll need to leave Ullapool with plenty of food to make it to Kinlochewe.

The last change is the Torridon crossing. I have decided to avoid the carry over the Coire Lair and go an easier and more rideable route via Loch Coulin and the Easan Dorcha to rejoin the current route at the top of the slabby descent to Achnashellach. I made this change as the Coire Lair track is getting badly eroded now Torridon has become the must do big mountain venue. To be truthful I was also worried that someone might come to serious harm up there with the grim weather we had this year.

These three changes mean the route is now 23 miles shorter at 535miles. Most of the missing miles were either tarmac or pushing. If you’d like a gpx file of the provisional route contact me at the email address on the Highland Trail website. Feedback welcomed.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've just heard on radio 4 that pandas are no longer considered to be an endangered species ... let the floating begin :-bd

May the bridges you burn light your way
Chew

Post by Chew »

Si wrote:Surely his time will be from when he crossed the start line to when he crosses the finish, as with an ITT's time ?
Depends on how you want to classify yourself?
An ITT time against all other times?
Or X position in the 2016 event?

The event started at 9am on the Saturday, so that's when the clock started regardless of when people set off.
Chew

Post by Chew »

:geek:
Liam at the shop in Dornie at 13:05
Stopwatch running for when the others arrive........
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Don't say that, he might make it harder again!
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

ITT rider yellow - group start blue/pink/purple.

Pretty certain if you turned up to an XC race 2hrs late and started, but rode the course faster than the leader you'd not get 1st place after.

Now...turn up late and pass the leader....sure, now you're leading.

My 2c.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Chew wrote::geek:
Liam at the shop in Dornie at 13:05
Stopwatch running for when the others arrive........
Given that Liam got the jump on the others when he didn't stop in Kinlochewe, then he's going to need refuelling. Given the speed he's going at, the others have a real challenge to catch him
Thinking about Ian's effort from the other year : It might take an all night stint from here to the finish without sleep to get in front of him ..... but that would clearly be mad given how far that would be

Going to be interesting tactics to the finish
2924 miles per Gallon
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

Looks like Liam stopped for about half an hour in Dornie, and is now about to start the Glen Lichd climb.

There is maybe ~16 hours riding time left to the finish for Liam. If he doesn't stop I don't think anyone can catch him. If Javi/one of the other 3 in the chase group pulls an all nighter and Liam stops for a sleep they may have a chance.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

NewRetroTom wrote:Looks like Liam stopped for about half an hour in Dornie, and is now about to start the Glen Lichd climb.

There is maybe ~16 hours riding time left to the finish for Liam. If he doesn't stop I don't think anyone can catch him. If Javi/one of the other 3 in the chase group pulls an all nighter and Liam stops for a sleep they may have a chance.
It's quite an exciting finish isn't it. One also has to remember that the flat section along the Cal. Canal is going to suck on a SS - assuming Javi has geared for climbing. That could give Liam a small margin for sleep.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

It's not an ITT - this is definitely a race :lol:
Last edited by ScotRoutes on Tue May 31, 2016 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I've just heard on radio 4 that pandas are no longer considered to be an endangered species ... let the floating begin :-bd

It seems Panda's won't be required this year and the crossing isn't being much of an issue this week. :cool:
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Should be a tail wind down the canal section so could see some fast times FA to FW.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Mariner wrote:Should be a tail wind down the canal section so could see some fast times FA to FW.
One of my favourite bits in 2013 - tail wind - early and empty canal. Zooooom....
Mart

Post by Mart »

Javi's stopped in a funny place where he should be zooming along ..... Looks like he's been caught and passed by the two lads
2924 miles per Gallon
Chew

Post by Chew »

There's a petrol station where he's stopped.
More cake?
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

reasonably sharp tailwind though judging by the weather here ..... ergo a headwind down glenafric.

Liam made great time up to camban
Bert

Post by Bert »

Anyone knows what the condition of the tracks is this year? Dry and well ridable?
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

oops read phone wrong while being distracted by a meeting.....

hes not at camban yet hes just climbing up to it and is on the steep bit below the waterfalls.

with STuart and phillip just at glen licht house.
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

wow, this is riveting. There's not going to be much sleep going on with the front runners tonight.
There should be more than one that'll break 4 days at this rate.

The pace at the front coupled with the lack of scratches whose placing bets that it'll be the HT700 next year! :shock:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Scratch Update: Confirming Matt Orton - all well. Is eating ice-cream.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Javi's rockin a bigger gear than last year (and new wheel). The canal will still suck more for him than others.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

boxelder wrote:Javi's rockin a bigger gear than last year (and new wheel). The canal will still suck more for him than others.

Any idea what he is running?
atk

Post by atk »

boxelder wrote:Javi's rockin a bigger gear than last year (and new wheel). The canal will still suck more for him than others.
Bigger beard too! https://twitter.com/JoeChupacabras/stat ... 3787472896
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

No update from Andy Lawrence since 2pm, hope it is just batteries in his spot?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer