Utterly, utterly crestfallen.....

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Pickers

Utterly, utterly crestfallen.....

Post by Pickers »

So said the expression of the young lad and his female accomplice when they arrived (by some sort of mini-moto device...) at the location chosen by yours truly as being a suitably quiet spot for a bivvy. Since there were still shelduck, oystercatchers and cormorants about I assumed they were planning a spot of ornithology; or perhaps they were hoping for the other bird that looks a bit like a cormorant. They departed pretty smartly. Forgotten his binoculars, obviously.

I'd had a decent afternoon's riding. Parked up near to Tywyn and followed the WRT route we'd used through Tonfanau and up over the hill to Dolgellau, passing the WRT shanty town site on the way. On the WRT we'd talked about the likelihood of a decent view down towards the Mawddach estuary on a better day - well this was a better day and the views were indeed spectacular - well worth the revisit.

P1050327 by Richard Picton, on Flickr

P1050329 by Richard Picton, on Flickr

After a spot of food and stocking up in Dolgellau, I meandered along the Mawddach Trail to one of the little picnic areas to settle down for the night. Didn't think I'd have any company on a Tuesday night.

P1050342 by Richard Picton, on Flickr

The following morning a quick trip was planned into Barmouth for breakfast. Duly arrived outside the cafe, where there was a sign saying open at 9:00am, great I thought, that's not too far off. Glances at watch. 7:18am. Bollocks.
Back over the bridge and off to Dolgellau, into the wind this time. Breakfast done and it's into the woods again. This time up towards Dyfi, a long road climb and then back down through the trees.

P1050347 by Richard Picton, on Flickr

P1050349 by Richard Picton, on Flickr
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Utterly, utterly crestfallen.....

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You certainly had the weather for it :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Lucky you Pickers! Yeah, quite a weather contrast to WRT ;-). Am still "on" for our hoped-for Peaks ride in June.... the triplicate pass has been signed and I've filed the green copy so she can't claim she didn't give it to me....

"Reg"

PS> If DocNick and Scotty are reading, would love to do a Black Mountains job in summer....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
scott of the woods

Post by scott of the woods »

RIP wrote:Lucky you Pickers! Yeah, quite a weather contrast to WRT ;-). Am still "on" for our hoped-for Peaks ride in June.... the triplicate pass has been signed and I've filed the green copy so she can't claim she didn't give it to me....

"Reg"

PS> If DocNick and Scotty are reading, would love to do a Black Mountains job in summer....
Great write up Pickers!
Yeah I'm up for a black mountain adventure!
DrMekon

Post by DrMekon »

A lovely image you paint, and great pictures too.