2016 Highland Trail (group start)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

AlanG

Re: 2016 Highland Trail (group start)

Post by AlanG »

I sent out the final details to the group start riders this morning. If you haven't seen it, check your Junk folder.

I wouldn't dream of not taking a headnet! Are you mad Gian?
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Ian wrote:Yes, defo take a headnet. I tend to keep mine accessible at all times (and in the same small zip bag as my Smidge)
Took one '13 but never used it. I might bring one to Tyndrum and decide then.
ianfitz wrote:
Alpinum wrote:Came to think of midges.

Anyone else who's not going to take a head net?

I like to think it's a smart thing. If there are are midges, I'll have to shorten my stops = more riding/movement :-bd

Next to the bike bothering me a bit, I've developed a cold (but no fever) :|
Gosh I'm looking forward to getting everything out of my way and start biking...
Eeerrrr, no chance! They can fly faster than hike-a-bike speeds so for that reason I'm out.

:-bd
I included 11.24 % hike a bike in my training and am stupid enough to believe I can outpace them.
:wink:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

AlanG wrote:I sent out the final details to the group start riders this morning. If you haven't seen it, check your Junk folder.

I wouldn't dream of not taking a headnet! Are you mad Gian?
During last years trips I refined my 'take some battering from insects' capabilities.
deft punk

Post by deft punk »

AlanG wrote:I wouldn't dream of not taking a headnet! Are you mad Gian?
Ach, he'll probably be fine as long as he doesn't need to stop & fix a puncture without one. Closest I've ever came to spitting the dummy & launching my bike away to [fornicate] :oops: :lol:
Callander Steve

Post by Callander Steve »

htrider wrote:I'd thought the new route would be quicker - apart from one 2k bit of boggy path and one 2k bit of slightly boggy track its all on good surfaces and there is 200m less climbing. No horrible HAB climb up the devils staircase, no slow rocky descent down to KLL followed by a massive climb on a loose rocky track and no 5k bog rock and tussock fest down the Abhain rath. Huw had a headwind all day on his first day and last year we had a mega tailwind for all but the corrieairack. Yous'll get to the pizza shop nae bother on day 1! Plus you should also catch the cafe at Lagan wolftrax.
I from Tyndrum to Laggan the other weekend. It took slightly longer on the 2016 route than last year, but I was taking it easy so there may be some time to make up. The pizza sprint is very much on for me. :|
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

deft punk wrote:
AlanG wrote:I wouldn't dream of not taking a headnet! Are you mad Gian?
Ach, he'll probably be fine as long as he doesn't need to stop & fix a puncture without one. Closest I've ever came to spitting the dummy & launching my bike away to [fornicate] :oops: :lol:
:lol:
oops... my plan seems a bit sketchy...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Callander Steve wrote:
htrider wrote:I'd thought the new route would be quicker - apart from one 2k bit of boggy path and one 2k bit of slightly boggy track its all on good surfaces and there is 200m less climbing. No horrible HAB climb up the devils staircase, no slow rocky descent down to KLL followed by a massive climb on a loose rocky track and no 5k bog rock and tussock fest down the Abhain rath. Huw had a headwind all day on his first day and last year we had a mega tailwind for all but the corrieairack. Yous'll get to the pizza shop nae bother on day 1! Plus you should also catch the cafe at Lagan wolftrax.
I from Tyndrum to Laggan the other weekend. It took slightly longer on the 2016 route than last year, but I was taking it easy so there may be some time to make up. The pizza sprint is very much on for me. :|
Currently looking like south / easterlies so should be fairly favourable - don't loose your maps this year Steve!
Nikk

Post by Nikk »

deft punk wrote:probably be fine as long as he doesn't need to stop & fix a puncture without one.
Scientists actually found a new species of highland midge which they named Culicoides impunctatus ventosalius that senses whenever air is let out of tubes, and swiftly congregates around the poor being trying to fix the hole / pack away the raft and bites them half to death, thereby insuring double the mystery. Closely related to Culicoides impunctatus mechanicalia and Culicoides impunctatus lovelysunsetius.
Ian

Post by Ian »

If you fill your tyres with CO2, when you get a puncture the CO2 escapes and it attracts midges. Fact.

Anyway... :roll:

Just planned my strategy for the route. Think I'm happy with it. Might all go tits up by the time I reach Ben Alder Cottage, but hey, who said it would be easy? :wink:
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Culicoides impunctatus lovelysunsetius

Someone must sell an extra lightweight headnet.....for proper bikepacking aficionados?
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

boxelder wrote:
Culicoides impunctatus lovelysunsetius

Someone must sell an extra lightweight headnet.....for proper bikepacking aficionados?

I weighed two that I found in the kit room... :oops:

one was 46g the other 28g! Slightly smaller and with an elastic rather than draw cord at the base. Quite happy with a 41% weight saving :-bd
Yorlin

Post by Yorlin »

Try and make the midges a positive - if you ride with your mouth open it's a free protein boost! :-bd

PS after spelling smidge wrong I found http://www.midgie.net/ who sell lengths of midge netting if people want to make a home-brew headnet, or jumper, or a MYOG bivvy bag upgrade...
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Ian wrote:
Just planned my strategy for the route. Think I'm happy with it. Might all go tits up by the time I reach Ben Alder Cottage, but hey, who said it would be easy? :wink:
My strategy is that there is no strategy! :-bd Other than ride bike for as long as possible each day, eat when possible, sleep in the most sheltered place available. Also would like to drink a beer on the Monday, third day of the ride, when I will turn 40!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Guys - I take it you have checked out the weather forecast for the weekend and into next week?? :cool: :cool: I'm so gutted I'm not going to be there this year.... your all going to have a ball
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

htrider wrote:Guys - I take it you have checked out the weather forecast for the weekend and into next week?? :cool: :cool: I'm so gutted I'm not going to be there this year.... your all going to have a ball
Having just now checked the forecast again and seeing how it's sticking with what it was a couple of days ago I was going to write the same, only difference - I'm going this year :cool:
:-bd

Things are looking rather good too for my kaputt bike :-bd
Nikk

Post by Nikk »

Test rode my serviced bike today, feels funny with bouncy forks on it again, but feels good!

I'm as ready as I'll ever be this year. Kinda itching to get going now TBH.
Ian

Post by Ian »

htrider wrote:Guys - I take it you have checked out the weather forecast for the weekend and into next week?? :cool: :cool: I'm so gutted I'm not going to be there this year.... your all going to have a ball
Bought new waterproofs last week. £200 well spent me thinks :-bd
AlanG

Post by AlanG »

The group start riders have been loaded up on Trackleaders. Only 3 days 10 hours to go!
Can everyone please transmit a location point and check that they appear on the map.
kbrembo

Post by kbrembo »

Good Luck everyone!

Weathers looking pretty fab and the trails will be dry and rivers low!

Midgies have been out though.....
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

If you're using Twitter and you want me to follow and forward your mid ride waffle - pop a tweet to @ht_550 if you haven't already.
larsmars

Post by larsmars »

Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere. In rare case of emergency, is there an emergency service in the Highlands that my SPOT contact should get in touch with? Just wanting to allay her worries.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

larsmars wrote:Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere. In rare case of emergency, is there an emergency service in the Highlands that my SPOT contact should get in touch with? Just wanting to allay her worries.
Pressing the bad button on the SPOT contacts emergency services through it's own channels - only use the emergency button if you're having a life threatening issue. Not cold, hungry, tired, scared, miserable. Only when you've a high chance of death.

If you are talking about the other, not direct emergency contact button - 112 or 999 on a phone gets you to emergency services in the UK. Don't count on having signal yourself though. You're covering a large area with many SAR teams. No one number.

As the point of scratch - be aware that I am NOT your go to in emergency. I'll be about 300. miles away. I will not be able to help. Nor is Alan, he'll be racing and have his own ride to deal with no doubt.

You are responsible for you.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

A note for those not familiar with the UK emergency services. The 999 & 112 numbers get you to police, ambulance and fire services only. To get mountain rescue, you ask the initial operator for police then mountain rescue. It helps if you have your GPS set to UK grid references so that you can give them your precise location which will determine which of the teams gets called out.

Also, on your smartphone, have location services enabled and allow your default browser to use them. MRT may text you with a link that when followed informs them of your position.

On the jennride the other weekend I had to call MRT out for a Saudi couple who didn't know about the above. They would have asked for an ambulance despite being a Km from the road.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Karl

Post by Karl »

I setup my spot messages to let my loved ones know what to do.

OK message is obvious

Custom message is..... I have had a failure, could you collect me at the nearest road section if possible? Do not rush!

Help Message is......I am in situation requiring non-emergency assistance. Could you alert mountain rescue?

Then the SOS message is preset to the emergency services

Hope that helps.
larsmars

Post by larsmars »

GregMay wrote:
larsmars wrote:Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere. In rare case of emergency, is there an emergency service in the Highlands that my SPOT contact should get in touch with? Just wanting to allay her worries.
Pressing the bad button on the SPOT contacts emergency services through it's own channels - only use the emergency button if you're having a life threatening issue. Not cold, hungry, tired, scared, miserable. Only when you've a high chance of death.

If you are talking about the other, not direct emergency contact button - 112 or 999 on a phone gets you to emergency services in the UK. Don't count on having signal yourself though. You're covering a large area with many SAR teams. No one number.

As the point of scratch - be aware that I am NOT your go to in emergency. I'll be about 300. miles away. I will not be able to help. Nor is Alan, he'll be racing and have his own ride to deal with no doubt.

You are responsible for you.
Cool, thanks Greg. Figured as much, just wanted to make sure, as I've not used a SPOT before. It's mainly to help relieve my contact's worries.