HT550 2016 ITT starters

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

padonbike

Re: HT550 2016 ITT starters

Post by padonbike »

Bad luck for Hugh at Carnmore. I feel for him.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

padonbike wrote:Bad luck for Hugh at Carnmore. I feel for him.
Having seen the state of the barn, I'd prefer to camp (and have done!) :shock: There's not much in the way of built shelter in the Fisherfield Forest so there's a definite concentration of people at those spots.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I see he has a blog so hopefully he'll have a good write up coming soon. Must have been gutting to get to Carnmore after that epic day and have to sleep outside. It is scuzzy but when I got there last year It was like a palace! Bloody good effort, looking forward to spot watching Howard and Alastair now :-bd
Howard

Post by Howard »

htrider wrote:I see he has a blog so hopefully he'll have a good write up coming soon. Must have been gutting to get to Carnmore after that epic day and have to sleep outside. It is scuzzy but when I got there last year It was like a palace! Bloody good effort, looking forward to spot watching Howard and Alastair now :-bd
It was a good effort indeed! - Hard act to follow, which I'm sure Alasdair could, but whatever he get's up to, he's doing it by stealth. So the only dot showing is mine and I don't think it's going to be quite as entertaining - There's no way I'm going to go that fast anyway! Hugely looking forward to it with equal measures of apprehension and anticipation. Number 1 objective is to come back safe. After that I want to have fun and then, in an ideal world, finish in time to see the group start. I do like my food stops which works well with the first two objectives - just not the last :lol:
If I don't make it to the group start - you all have fun and ride safe too :-bd
Javi

Post by Javi »

Good luck, Howard.

Huw also found some people at the bothy in Glenn Affric but could find some space on the floor. He's strong guy.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Great effort Huw - thanks for the entertainment.
He's strong guy.
bet he smelt strong.......... :wink:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Looks like we have another for to watch. Howard just started. Good luck :-bd
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Decision made ! Driving up tomorrow with a view to starting Monday 23rd... Don't bother watching me, you might fall asleep, and besides no spot tracker, just me, the bike, about a thousand tea bags, and (hopefully) enough fuel to keep me going over several days. So I'm not going with a view of limited sleep, and going as fast as true ITT'ers, but hoping to get some long days in and really enjoy the adventure.... Fully retired senior citizen (plus quite a bit :roll: ) with nowt better to do ! :mrgreen: :-bd
(last May that bloody awful gale force weather beat me going up Glen Golly etc and at Achfary I did a Dave Barter and sought sanctuary in a 3* Hotel in Lairg)
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ericrobo wrote:Decision made ! Driving up tomorrow with a view to starting Monday 23rd... Don't bother watching me, you might fall asleep, and besides no spot tracker, just me, the bike, about a thousand tea bags, and (hopefully) enough fuel to keep me going over several days. So I'm not going with a view of limited sleep, and going as fast as true ITT'ers, but hoping to get some long days in and really enjoy the adventure.... Fully retired senior citizen (plus quite a bit :roll: ) with nowt better to do ! :mrgreen: :-bd
(last May that bloody awful gale force weather beat me going up Glen Golly etc and at Achfary I did a Dave Barter and sought sanctuary in a 3* Hotel in Lairg)
Good luck, I like your style :-bd
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

All this chatter is giving me itchy feet to ride my bike off road!

Bravo to Huw, that was some impressive riding :cool:

Bravo mr ericrobo - that's the spirit :-bd
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

ericrobo wrote:Decision made ! Driving up tomorrow with a view to starting Monday 23rd... Don't bother watching me, you might fall asleep, and besides no spot tracker, just me, the bike, about a thousand tea bags, and (hopefully) enough fuel to keep me going over several days. So I'm not going with a view of limited sleep, and going as fast as true ITT'ers, but hoping to get some long days in and really enjoy the adventure.... Fully retired senior citizen (plus quite a bit :roll: ) with nowt better to do ! :mrgreen: :-bd
One day there will be a positive verb associated with my cycling ability .. one day ;-)
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Fully retired senior citizen (plus quite a bit :roll: ) with nowt better to do ! :mrgreen: :-bd
I suggested to Mrs M that there should be a Senior Bears group.
She immediately replied more like Grizzley Bears. :lol:
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

ericrobo wrote:Decision made ! Driving up tomorrow with a view to starting Monday 23rd.
Looks like a decent weather window; very tempted to do the same, but can't start earlier than Tuesday.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

My ITT is over in Fort Augustus. My knee objected to pushing up the Corrieyairack so I'm spinning out to Fort William today.

Beware the fords in Glen Lyon - there's one in particular that will be treacherous after heavy rain. Other than that and the push around Loch Ericht, the new stuff is good. The Ben Alder descent is sublime.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Bad luck Alasdair :sad:

Hope the spin back to Fort Bill isn't too uncomfortable.

Looks like Howard got to Melgarve last night and is over the top of the Corrieyarrick already today.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Hard Luck Alisdair, I was thinking about a shot during the second week of July (if my backs up to it) if you fancy another go.
I rode Glen lyon back to the WHW last july after some seriously wet weather and the rivers were OK - all rideable. So unless there is some apocalyptic weather this week it'll be fine :cool:
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

Oh no! :-(
Hope you get back ok Alasdair
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Unlucky Alastair, hope the knee isn't too bad..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

It's a recurring injury that I thought had healed. Looks like it's a doctor's appointment and some likely rest time.

Scotrail have excelled again on my trip back though. 12 bike spaces on the train, and the conductor has let 21 bikes on (mine included)
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

AlasdairMc wrote:My ITT is over in Fort Augustus. My knee objected to pushing up the Corrieyairack so I'm spinning out to Fort William today.

Beware the fords in Glen Lyon - there's one in particular that will be treacherous after heavy rain. Other than that and the push around Loch Ericht, the new stuff is good. The Ben Alder descent is sublime.
Sorry to hear. I'd rather have a broken bike than a broken body. Hope you get well soon.
Javi

Post by Javi »

Next time better, Alisdair.
Hope you sort it out quickly
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Alisdair, damn shame, but if you fancy a run in September let me know as I need to get this one out of my system
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Nikk

Post by Nikk »

AlasdairMc wrote:It's a recurring injury that I thought had healed. Looks like it's a doctor's appointment and some likely rest time.
Ah dood :cry: Sorry to hear this. Heal fast!
Dave Barter wrote:Alisdair, damn shame, but if you fancy a run in September let me know as I need to get this one out of my system
Oh yeh.

Do the ride with Dave, Alasdair! Make sure to take a video camera (with a windshield on the mic!) and film him when he is tired and pissed off. :-bd
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Howard wrote: It was a good effort indeed! - Hard act to follow, which I'm sure Alasdair could, but whatever he get's up to, he's doing it by stealth. So the only dot showing is mine and I don't think it's going to be quite as entertaining - There's no way I'm going to go that fast anyway! Hugely looking forward to it with equal measures of apprehension and anticipation. Number 1 objective is to come back safe. After that I want to have fun and then, in an ideal world, finish in time to see the group start. I do like my food stops which works well with the first two objectives - just not the last :lol:
If I don't make it to the group start - you all have fun and ride safe too :-bd
Doing well Howard. Looks like you're enjoying your food stops :-bd
I did the same in '13 and had a great time and was a full day faster than anticipated. Probably due to all the good food I had on the way :wink:
Dundonnell is a good place a little of route should you look for a good rest and meal before the Fisherfield Forest.

Keep it up.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Looks like Howard's in to the hike-a-bike section of the Northern loop. Forecast is fine for the next few days with a few showers possible tomorrow afternoon, perhaps just as important there's a light to reasonable breeze to keep the winged death at bay :-bd