HT550 2016 ITT starters

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Howard

Re: HT550 2016 ITT starters

Post by Howard »

AlasdairMc wrote:
I personally think the answer is slightly more complicated. Approach the river at the mouth of the loch, attempt to cross, double back, cross somewhere else, and then ride down to the other side of where you should have crossed and continue from there.

This then gets very close to the "you must rejoin the course where you left it" rule and also ensures no shortcut.
Alan is definitely in a difficult position on this one. It's one thing DQ'ing someone for missing out some part of the track to take the road instead, but there is a huge safety implication when it comes to river crossings. The last thing anybody wants is for a rider who is so knackered that their judgement is clouded, to push through an unsafe crossing for fear of being DQ'd. Much better to know that as long as you don't give yourself an advantage by taking a shortcut, you can be safe and still record a completion. I know everybody is out there because of the "pleasure" of being out there - but let's not pretend - most people are also pretty competitive too.

Alasdair - I'm not liking the weather forecast for the weekend :cry:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

ianfitz wrote:
GregMay wrote: Because the climb up to the bothy is a bastard at night solo and tired. Having arrived very late, with poor lights, I can most definitely say it's not fun.
I didn't find it that bad, but it was in the daytime on a day ride. I'll report back how it is after 400+miles with a laden bike :cry:

Try it after a few days, hungry, tired, and at night. We can chat then Ian :)
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

GregMay wrote:
ianfitz wrote:
GregMay wrote: Because the climb up to the bothy is a bastard at night solo and tired. Having arrived very late, with poor lights, I can most definitely say it's not fun.
I didn't find it that bad, but it was in the daytime on a day ride. I'll report back how it is after 400+miles with a laden bike :cry:

Try it after a few days, hungry, tired, and at night. We can chat then Ian :)

It must be tougher than I remember as it looks like Huw has had to stop for a sleep after that section. :lol:

Like I said - day ride, light, unladen bike. Was ok. But I'm expecting it to feel a bit different in a few weeks. :???:
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Fort Aug for brunch and finished tonight ? Sterling effort Huw.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

boxelder wrote:Fort Aug for brunch and finished tonight ? Sterling effort Huw.
Definitely possible - IIRC it was a 21hour stint from the Bothy to the end for myself and Tom in 2013
Ian

Post by Ian »

Bothy to the finish is pretty much a 100 miles. Think it took me 18 hours in 2014, but I was being pursued by Alan Sheldon at the time...
touch

Post by touch »

Looks like he is now level with my position at this point last year (to within 10mins). I finished about 3am but he has been travelling faster than me, particularly on the hike sections. If all goes well, I guess he'll be finished around midnight in a time of 5days14hours.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

He's in Ft William now. Roughly 6hrs of daylight left but "nautical twilight" is up to midnight. To those who've been in this position, doable tonight?
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

:-bd
whitestone wrote:He's in Ft William now. Roughly 6hrs of daylight left but "nautical twilight" is up to midnight. To those who've been in this position, doable tonight?
I've ridden all the bits between FW and tyndrum but not after doing the rest of it! over to KLL on the WHW took longer than I thought, has some pretty tasty sections of trail and some steps! up and down... then theres the big old clinb up to devils staircase, that always feels like a long way. Looking at our recce trip we took 3 hours FW to KLL and 4:30 KLL to Tyndrum. It was wintery so we had more stuff and didn't have an 'on-it' mindset but guessing had fresher legs than Huw could reasonably be expected to have just now!

Looks like he is in the morrisons/MacDonalds area of town. Plenty of fuel available there :-bd
touch

Post by touch »

whitestone wrote:To those who've been in this position, doable tonight?
Yep, I was in almost exactly the same position last year (his stop at mcdonalds has now put him about 30 mins behind me). I had daylight over the 2 big hike sections: out of fort william and over devil's staircase and had to stop at King's House hotel to put my lights on. The WHW section from there is easy going though and wont cause him and problems riding in the dark - assuming he still has lights.
I'm still expecting him to make much better progress than me to the end and finish somehwere around midnight.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Yes, quite possible. I was similar time of day - was back by 2am - including stopping in Kinlochleven for sit down food.
Javi

Post by Javi »

I forgot how long it takes to do the last bit from Devils staircase. Arrived now rom F. Augustus to Tyndrum. Wet, cold and hungry!!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Looks like he avoided stopping at the Ice Factor cafe and is pushing on - about 4-5 hrs of riding left? :-bd

At the start last year Alan said of the Strath na sealga to cross by any means but the GPX line was the best. It was last year as although the river is shallower upstream its a complete swamp between it and the 2 bothies - OK in the dry but not in the conditions then.
KamelTrek

Post by KamelTrek »

Howard wrote: Alasdair - I'm not liking the weather forecast for the weekend

I'm off to do the CL this weekend......in rain gear it seems.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Huw musn't be far off finishing but his spot isn't updating. Last point was just before the top of the devils staircase and that was 2 hrs 15 ago. its 2 1/2 hrs from the top to Tyndrum so he should just get back before full dark. Good effort!
Javi

Post by Javi »

Bridge of Orchy 10:08pm. Finish about 11pm.
I'm going to meet him
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

He's at Bridge of Orchy now, 6 miles left? He'll be done before I'm in my bed! :-bd
Howard

Post by Howard »

Javi wrote:Bridge of Orchy 10:08pm. Finish about 11pm.
I'm going to meet him
Good for you! Please tell him what an inspiration it's been watching him all week!
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Yep, what a great effort, so well done Huw...

Should be nice for you to lie down tonight !

Inspiring ride !
Howard

Post by Howard »

KamelTrek wrote:
Howard wrote: Alasdair - I'm not liking the weather forecast for the weekend

I'm off to do the CL this weekend......in rain gear it seems.
Have fun, but just be careful of this wee rock step along Glen Feshie if the burns are high.... the "path" is by the pink bits of rock..
ImageRock Step! by Heatherstalks, on Flickr
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Congrats Huw :-bd
Stellar riding. Hope all's good and wishing good and fast recovery.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

looks like he's finished now. impressive ride!

slightly ironic that the tracker zoned out for long periods but now so accurate it looks like we can see where Huw parked his car!
Javi

Post by Javi »

Huw didn't look tired at all. He retired to sleep and tomorrow we'll have a chat.
Had to sleep outside Carnmore bothy with a crappy bivy in the rain because it was full!
Top effort!
Mart

Post by Mart »

Followed the spot all the way - great ride Huw :-bd
2924 miles per Gallon
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Bloody good result.