HT550 Lift sharing thread

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ianfitz

HT550 Lift sharing thread

Post by ianfitz »

While sending out the links for my maps a few people have mentioned the need for lifts tot the start. Especially people travelling from far and distant shores...

I'm still waiting to confirm my own travel plans but can possibly give Eric +1 a lift.

Is anyone else in need of a lift. Or can you pick people up?

Post below if so!
Nikk

Re: HT550 Lift sharing thread

Post by Nikk »

I plan on traveling from Edinburgh to the start on the morning of the race, leaving Edinburgh at 6am sharp. I can take at least two other people and bikes, 3 at a push.

I'd be happy to take anyone so let me know, the only caveat is I will be leaving sharp and would expect anyone getting a lift to be at mine and on time, as there will be no time for waiting. I am near Leith.
mt_high2000

Post by mt_high2000 »

Hi all,
I am coming from the United States, arriving in Glasgow May 26th. I would be interested in a lift if someone has room and is coming from that area. Or else I was considering taking the train. Is the train a good option traveling from Glasgow to Tyndrum with a bike? Any information would be greatly appreciated!!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

There are several threads about taking and booking bikes on to trains, let's just say it's an inconsistent mess.

The train to Tyndrum requires advanced booking for bikes, I've only ever done it in person at a UK train station that has a ticket office. This site http://www.cyclingscot.co.uk/taking-you ... train.html suggests that it is possible on-line but the operator's site http://www.scotrail.co.uk/plan-your-jou ... ns/cycling says the system is down and to make the reservation by phone. If you do this then you are travelling from Glasgow Queen Street to Tyndrum Lower.

Getting back might be more of a problem as any reservation is for a specific service (it's not a busy line, only a few services a day in each direction) and of course you won't know until you've finished, though you could call at the station in Ft William and book from there as you'd have a better idea then. No fee for booking or taking the bike on the train itself.

Good luck, both for the travelling and the Highland Trail.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Karl

Post by Karl »

I'm looking like needing a lift from South East Manchester (Mottram/Hyde area). Only need a lift there not back as I'm meeting friends for a weeks holiday after the event.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

mt_high2000

By train from Glasgow.
You need to get to Queen Street Station which is being altered and has part of it closed.
I think the airport bus drops off there or close by.
You will need the Dundas Street entrance and looking for trains to Oban/Fort William/Mallaig.
If you have your bike in a case ie just as luggage you can probably blag your way on to the train with a large bag.
If it is in bike form you will need to book in advance and not have any bags attached to the frame.
As far as I can work out there are four trains per day direct to Tyndrum and you want Tyndrum Lower station.
Not sure how you can book from overseas as they need to send out the tickets but they may have a collection facility.
Also you need to speak direct as online booking will not cover your bike if you need to book bike space as opposed to just traveling with a large piece of luggage.
Usual caveats apply and sure if I have got anything wrong others will put it to rights.
Good luck.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Javi

Post by Javi »

On Thursday evening I'll be around Glasgow airport and then driving to Tyndrum, aiming to sleep there same Thursday night. Let me know if anyone interested
deft punk

Post by deft punk »

@mt_high2000

Call 00443448110141 for tickets & bike reservations. You can collect the tickets from any manned station & possibly the ticket machines. Easy :-bd

Also, if you're dumping your bike box at the airport your nearest railway station* is Paisley Gilmour Street (<2 miles), that'll take you to Glasgow Central, then you're a couple of minutes push/pedal from Queen Street for your train to Tyndrum.

*Unless of course you're landing at Glasgow Prestwick which is nowhere near Glasgow :lol:
mt_high2000

Post by mt_high2000 »

Thanks all for the information!!
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Just for reference is Tyndrum Lower manned or have ticket machines?
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Mariner wrote:Just for reference is Tyndrum Lower manned or have ticket machines?
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/TYL/details.html
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I'm almost certainly travelling up from Keswick, via Penrith, Carlisle, Glasgow on Fri 27th. Leaving Keswick 7am, Carlisle 8am, Glasgow approx 10am. Can offer lift possibly. PM me here.
liamg

Post by liamg »

I'll be driving up to Tyndrum from Bristol on the 27th. I'll be in a Berlingo-type van (hire) and can give 1 person and kit a lift. Visiting family on the way back down so wouldn't be able to provide a lift all the way back to Bristol, but could potentially drop someone off in southern Scotland or Northern England
honkonbobo

Post by honkonbobo »

thanks for starting this thread Ian!

i was looking at a Scottish Citylink bus from the Glasgow airport to Tyndrum May 26 but bags make that a little difficult. if Ian (or anyone else) would have room for 2 anytime after 11am or so thursday May 26 that would be much appreciated! i am holding off booking the bus for another week to see.

Eric
Javi

Post by Javi »

Eric,
I have space for 1 person and 2 bikes. It's a Renault Kangoo type van. Happy to take one of you and all the stuff.
I don't know what time I'll be at the airport but it's some time late evening.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

OK, I'm picking up one rider from Glasgow Airport Holiday Inn on Friday morning. Will have room for one more if anyone is short (of a lift, though in stature may be useful too.....).
philipft

Post by philipft »

KBRPro wrote:I'm looking like needing a lift from South East Manchester (Mottram/Hyde area). Only need a lift there not back as I'm meeting friends for a weeks holiday after the event.
just sent you a message Karl if you are still after a lift
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

I could pick up one person and a bike from Glasgow airport area on Friday morning if anyone is still looking for a lift.

Andy
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
honkonbobo

Post by honkonbobo »

Javi wrote:Eric,
I have space for 1 person and 2 bikes. It's a Renault Kangoo type van. Happy to take one of you and all the stuff.
I don't know what time I'll be at the airport but it's some time late evening.
thanks for the offer Javi... i think i may have a ride for the both of us now. if it falls through i will get in touch.

Eric
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I could pick up one person and a bike from Glasgow airport area on Friday morning if anyone is still looking for a lift.

Andy
There are 5 riders (3 from US and 2 from Canada) being picked up from Holiday Inn at Glasgow airport on Fri around 10am (probably - Eric +1 to confirm). This is doable in car + van, but if you were around Andy, taking a passenger may be useful)
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

No problem, unless I hear differently I will be there at 10am Friday
Andy
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
Karl

Post by Karl »

Lift sorted :-bd. Thanks phil