Garmin backlight question.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ctznsmith

Garmin backlight question.

Post by ctznsmith »

Is there a way to make a Garmin (Oregon*) light up when you get to a turn/junction on a route?

*I reckon if you can do it on a Dakota or Etrex it'll be similar on an Oregon.
Taylor

Re: Garmin backlight question.

Post by Taylor »

On a route when you approach a waypoint it should beep and light up but if your following a track it'll stay dormant.
wildgecko

Post by wildgecko »

Not quite answering the question but.....if you're following a track and set 'off track alert' it will beep and light up letting you know you've left the track. I use this as a compromise. Not quite early warning of a turn but I don't go very far wrong before I realise.

Si
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Thanks, both solid answers.

(Adds helmet light to packing list :roll:)
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

hmm need to have a play wit hthis.

currently i just usb wire into a 10000mah battery pack that lives in my frame bag.

garmin etrex uses next to none of it to stay lit all day - how ever approaching a waypoint light up would be a fair compromise.
tanadog

Post by tanadog »

I've been playing around with these options too and have come to the conclusion it's easiest to run a helmet light. I use an etrex 30 and don't "follow" (GO function) the track, just keep the track on screen. I played with having the backlight really low, but as I'm not running a dynamo I found that used too much battery power.

I've got a BD Spot headlamp that I run on it's lowest setting and this allows to me to just glance down at the screen while riding and see that the triangle is on course. (I use a handlebar light also). I'll have a play with the off track alert function too. Could be a good option in areas of tricky nav or times of low lucidity
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I normally run my screen with a low back light but also have the screen switch off after 15 seconds.
A quick tap of my screen and the thing lights up. No headlight needed.
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Taylor wrote:I normally run my screen with a low back light but also have the screen switch off after 15 seconds.
Yeah I tap it at the moment to light it up which is fine unless you require both hands on the bars e.g. on a tricky/bumpy descent with a turn/junction.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Same as Taylor for me. I often have the battery saving function on too

a set of batteries will usually last 2 days, I usually carry back ups just in case anyway

(Oregon 550t here)
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

ctznsmith wrote:
Taylor wrote:I normally run my screen with a low back light but also have the screen switch off after 15 seconds.
Yeah I tap it at the moment to light it up which is fine unless you require both hands on the bars e.g. on a tricky/bumpy descent with a turn/junction.
I find that if I need both hands on the bars on a technical descent I won't be looking down at my gps until I've finished the section.
tanadog

Post by tanadog »

the advantages of a touchscreen eh.