SouthLakes100#Jennride

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ianfitz

Re: SouthLakes100#Jennride

Post by ianfitz »

whitestone wrote:That was a tough route :o Just about all the South Lakes quality riding packed into one ride :-bd

Thanks Rich and to Sascha for holding fort whilst everyone was out having fun.
Totally agree Bob, superb route and, but for the fact I was there, unbelievable weather and trail conditions. Only saw about three puddles all day!

I rode with all of the kit I'm planning on taking to scotland the the HT550, it all stayed on the bike well and I could still peddle it so all good :-bd
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

got to agree, nice one Rich, we had a great time (mine was cut short on day two with a busted back mech :| had soooo much fun tho, Great weather and superb trails :cool: oh and Fatbikes RULE! :mrgreen:
atk

Post by atk »

Good to put faces (and real names!) to a few people on Friday night, spent most of the day wishing I'd been riding off road this weekend!
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

yep, I remember speaking to you over the weekend, didn't you ride it then?
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Bloody good times.

May have had a few too many (for me) on Friday night - aka a pint and two halves. May have rode a little bit giddy on a bike designed for the Tour Divide. May have, at times, regretted riding with full water and normal food capacity at times.

Probably one of the best single loop rides I've done in that part of the Lakes. Nothing too far out of reach for anyone if they aimed to take two days. Just enough to make it a challenge to smash around fast.

Great to put faces to some names as well. John and co. looked liked they'd found possibly the worlds best bivi sight as well when I found them - wonderful spot.

Next time - light bike and try it fast.

To double up - I rode back from the start to home, some 16 hours, and another 90miles off road. Felt like it 's what Jenn would have expected of me. Good times.
atk

Post by atk »

Lawmanmx wrote:yep, I remember speaking to you over the weekend, didn't you ride it then?
Yeah, I spoke to you Saturday morning while you waited for John to get up, think we'd both been up earlier than planned...

I was road riding, which all sort of went to sub standard but nevermind, these things happen...!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

GregMay wrote:Bloody good times.
Indeed.
GregMay wrote:Great to put faces to some names as well. John and co. looked liked they'd found possibly the worlds best bivi sight as well when I found them - wonderful spot.
The one by the tarns on Claife Heights? Yeah, felt nice. My wife bivvied on the ridge above Parkamoor which is definitely a room with a view.

GregMay wrote:To double up - I rode back from the start to home, some 16 hours, and another 90miles off road. Felt like it 's what Jenn would have expected of me. Good times.
Ruddy hell!! Good effort. :-bd

I think you mentioned in a thread somewhere about using recovery drink at regular intervals when riding. Tried it at the weekend as I tend to get bad cramps and it *seemed* to work - a bit of a twinge when getting in my sleeping bag but no out on the trail swearing at everyone and everything type cramps :roll:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

whitestone wrote: Ruddy hell!! Good effort. :-bd
What did your little sticker say? >> yeah, that.
whitestone wrote:I think you mentioned in a thread somewhere about using recovery drink at regular intervals when riding. Tried it at the weekend as I tend to get bad cramps and it *seemed* to work - a bit of a twinge when getting in my sleeping bag but no out on the trail swearing at everyone and everything type cramps :roll:
Yes, I used two portions of Peronin over the day as it happens - one about 8 hrs in, one an hour before I finished - so I knew I was finishing with fuel in body before sleep - was quite tasty at 23:30pm :)
Despite it being a hot day I didn't really take on any electrolytes that were not in the food I ate - Sunday though, was hotter through the morning and afternoon and I took on some - I think only two electrolyte tablets.
postierich

Post by postierich »

I rode the route :-) no holding the fort Seems as though everyone enjoyed the route and beer :-bd
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

you seemed to be 'Enjoying the Beer' for sure Rich :wink: :lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

GregMay wrote:Yes, I used two portions of Peronin over the day as it happens
Where do you get this from? Just found it on Amazon at a ludicrous price; works out at about £40 per 1000 kcal; a bit much for me!
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:
GregMay wrote:Yes, I used two portions of Peronin over the day as it happens
Where do you get this from? Just found it on Amazon at a ludicrous price; works out at about £40 per 1000 kcal; a bit much for me!
You can get it from shops that deal with Lyon Equipment - or from here: http://www.facewest.co.uk/Trekn-Eat-Per ... -Food.html
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Some words and photos from my day here: http://www.gregorymay.ie/?p=2912

Flickr album here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskAh3F3h

ImageDSC02387.jpg by Greg.May, on Flickr
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Very nice Greg, makes me wish I hadn't been working.

BTW, how you getting on with the Helium bivvy? Any condensation issues (above the usual)?
May the bridges you burn light your way
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Very nice Greg, makes me wish I hadn't been working.
It was good - it'll be there - you could do it later!
Bearbonesnorm wrote:BTW, how you getting on with the Helium bivvy? Any condensation issues (above the usual)?
Had a bit on Sunday morning - woke up to frost - under a bush - in the shade - but I had the thing nearly fully sealed when I was sleeping out of "I wonder if.." wonderment. I was trying to do something to push it so even got in while I was "moist". Wasn't anything I was worried about TBH - dry day and it would have dried in 15 mins or so in the sun.

Size and weight of it are ace though...