HT550 2016 ITT starters

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

touch

Re: HT550 2016 ITT starters

Post by touch »

He's still pushing on and has started the really steep climb over to Carnmore. If I remember correctly, there isnt much opportunity to pitch a tent up there until he gets right down to the bothy. Could be a late one tonight!
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I'm just worried that he does one of the best descents of the course in the dark.
Javi

Post by Javi »

...and he's going to miss one of the most breathtaking views
touch

Post by touch »

Javi wrote:...and he's going to miss one of the most breathtaking views
Que the one and only photo that I took last year in 5 days of riding:
Howard

Post by Howard »

He's at the climb I did with my wife last August also by torchlight after a very long day walking in the hills. We got back to our tent at about 11:30pm. I'd quite like to see that bit in daylight this time! One thing's for sure - he's going a lot, lot faster than I'll manage :mrgreen:
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

That new section on the postie's path along the side of Loch Maree must be tough! Huw's done just over 2 miles in the last hour.

He'll be looking forward to a good breakfast in Kinlochewe!
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

NewRetroTom wrote:That new section on the postie's path along the side of Loch Maree must be tough! Huw's done just over 2 miles in the last hour.

Possible he's been hit by the rain that passed through here last night too - we shall see :)
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

NewRetroTom wrote:That new section on the postie's path along the side of Loch Maree must be tough! Huw's done just over 2 miles in the last hour.

Some years ago there was an article in The Fellrunner magazine about the postman's path. I'll try and dig it out and then see if there's an online version. Even from a fell runner's perspective it sounded "interesting"
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
AlanG

Post by AlanG »

NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

Took Huw about 5 hours from Carnmore to Kinlochewe on the new route.

Took me about 4.5 hours last year on the old route, so it looks like the route change hasn't made a great deal of difference in time even though the new route is much shorter!
Howard

Post by Howard »

My guess is a lot of walking. Suits me - I can walk for hours :lol:
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

The new Torridon section clearly saves a chunk of time (or he's on the 'Belgian mix').
With an earlier start from the 'cowshed' at Carnmore last year, several of us only made Strathcarron for tea time (crappy weather that day I guess). He's made up around 4-5 hours. Good going. He's approaching the apparently unassailable gate is he not?
The guidance has always been to 'make safe and wise choices when crossing the river'.
I'd always read the 'rules' to be that there is one option - if you follow the route to the river crossing and decide it is too deep, then back track to the road and go to Poolewe (a big time penalty). Huw didn't go to the crossing on the route, but cut across earlier. I can't see that the river level would have risen any time soon, with the dry ground and huge store (loch) upstream.

Hopefully he's not bothered about whether his time stands or whatever and is (as I would be) just out to enjoy the experience. If he is after a time though, it puts Alan in a difficult position, as I'm sure he hates making the decision not to recognise/list people's efforts.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

boxelder wrote: I'd always read the 'rules' to be that there is one option - if you follow the route to the river crossing and decide it is too deep, then back track to the road and go to Poolewe (a big time penalty). Huw didn't go to the crossing on the route, but cut across earlier. I can't see that the river level would have risen any time soon, with the dry ground and huge store (loch) upstream.
I personally think the answer is slightly more complicated. Approach the river at the mouth of the loch, attempt to cross, double back, cross somewhere else, and then ride down to the other side of where you should have crossed and continue from there.

This then gets very close to the "you must rejoin the course where you left it" rule and also ensures no shortcut.

However, irrespective of this, he's fairly smashing out the miles at the moment. Do you think he'll aim for the finish in one go or stop at maybe Fort Augustus?
Ian

Post by Ian »

I understood, and based on past precedents, you needed to go to the mouth of the loch first to justify any deviation from crossing at that point.

In 2014, Aidan went from the bottom of the Tollie Path to the finish in ~ 36 hours with no sleep. I did Fisherfield (Larachantivore) to the finish in 41 hours with 1.5 hours sleep. It's doable :)

Didn't Fraser McB pulled his all-nighter from Carnmore last year?
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Ian wrote: Didn't Fraser McB pulled his all-nighter from Carnmore last year?
Yep, it was flipping vaguely exciting
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

That was a long shift yesterday! By my reckonning the Post path saves about an hour on the old route plus he's saved nearly two hours on the torridon section (based on my times which were fairly steady I guess) Looks like he's now having tea. In my last post I said maybe a 6 days and a few hours as a finish time - I'll revise that to sub 5 days I think! The weather looks crap over that way and there will be easterlies for a time tonight and tomorrow :???:
Ian

Post by Ian »

The easterlies won't help him through Glenaffric, but might be handy down the Great Glen
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Just checked the weather again - the easterly is to swing to the north then the north west then south west so if he times it right he'll get a tailwind from Fort Augustus all the way back - he's need a break from the weather....
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I'll revise that to sub 5 days I think!
Would that not mean finishing in 13 hours from now? That would require a tail wind........

Affric YHA or bothy for the night?
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

boxelder wrote:
Why would you stay in the YHA when the bothy is basically the same thing but free?
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

AlasdairMc wrote:
boxelder wrote:
Why would you stay in the YHA when the bothy is basically the same thing but free?
Because the climb up to the bothy is a bastard at night solo and tired. Having arrived very late, with poor lights, I can most definitely say it's not fun.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

GregMay wrote:
AlasdairMc wrote:
boxelder wrote:
Because the climb up to the bothy is a bastard at night solo and tired. Having arrived very late, with poor lights, I can most definitely say it's not fun.
Isn't the YHA just a little bit after the bothy?

Stunning effort of Huw :-bd
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

GregMay wrote:
I've done exactly the same thing. I was using a headtorch as part of my 'ride during the day only' philosophy, and knew I had to get to the bothy as it was getting pretty damn cold with nowhere to bivi properly.

You've actually just reminded me how much of a bastard that climb was - I'd blanked it out until now!
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

GregMay wrote: Because the climb up to the bothy is a bastard at night solo and tired. Having arrived very late, with poor lights, I can most definitely say it's not fun.
I didn't find it that bad, but it was in the daytime on a day ride. I'll report back how it is after 400+miles with a laden bike :cry:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

boxelder wrote:
I'll revise that to sub 5 days I think!
Would that not mean finishing in 13 hours from now? That would require a tail wind........

Oops I meant sub 6 days.....

The glen Lichd climb was a bugger despite being half the height of the climb up to Corrie Lair the previous day. I think it was because I was totally wasted by that point...