Highland Trail 2016 Recce

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Nikk

Highland Trail 2016 Recce

Post by Nikk »

Hi folks. Another blog post, this time a 148 mile Highland Trail 2016 Recce i did last weekend!

http://niksbikingblog.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... recce.html

Overall, I'd recommend this route for sure, some quality riding in it!
Blair512

Re: Highland Trail 2016 Recce

Post by Blair512 »

Enjoyed reading that, might be a good route for me to get a wee taste of what the HT terrain is like.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Mark and I recced the southern loop at Easter plus a bit extra over to cannich for breakfast.

It was a bit more weathery when we rode it. Still some snow on the ground, especially the steepness after the second col past Ben Alder cottage. It is a lovely loop to ride in its own right.

Really enjoyed your photos :-bd
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Nice one Nick!
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Ace. Extremely useful. So the last few Kim's approaching Ben Alder cottage from the south were rideable too? Remember this being fairly boggy underfoot in the past.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

padonbike wrote:Ace. Extremely useful. So the last few Kim's approaching Ben Alder cottage from the south were rideable too? Remember this being fairly boggy underfoot in the past.
When we went through at Easter much of it wasn't. But it was dark and we may have missed some lines.

It was easy pushing though
Nikk

Post by Nikk »

padonbike wrote:Ace. Extremely useful. So the last few Kim's approaching Ben Alder cottage from the south were rideable too? Remember this being fairly boggy underfoot in the past.
ianfitz wrote:When we went through at Easter much of it wasn't. But it was dark and we may have missed some lines.

It was easy pushing though
Those 4k were maybe about 40% ridable, but it was really quite dry, and was still boggy enough to make riding a bit futile unless you wanted to make a point! At that stage, you have had 46 miles of good riding, a bit of a break and a walk is not a bad thing. The ground is mostly flat and the scenery is amazing. Not a bad section at all IMO and certainly helped by the fact that the Ben Alder singletrack that comes after is lovely.
ben-alder-preamble.jpg
(779.6 KiB) Downloaded 297 times
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

The times I've done the Loch Ericht route the boggy bit takes around 20 mins or so (plus scenery viewing stops!) so as Nikk says no big deal and nice breather from pedalling. I rode most of it on the fatbike last September however! This route is also a good way of getting from the West highlands to Speyside - from Loch Patack head over to Ben Alder lodge then follow the big track to Dalwhinnie. From there you can head over a track to phones and then follow the military road to Tromie and into the woods above the Feshie - nearly all off road and some really nice riding.
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Thanks Nikk. You're right it's not too much of a walk and all rideable after. Only time I've done it, it was on foot, after midnight and the ground was frozen solid.
Htrider, I know every inch of what you're talking about. My highland expeds have tended to start getting off the train at Dalwhinnie ....