Edinburgh Capital Trail 2016 - ride report

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Nikk

Edinburgh Capital Trail 2016 - ride report

Post by Nikk »

Hi folks,

I just did this ride yesterday, you can read my blog post about it here

Anyone else done it this year? Any plans to do it? It is a great route IMO.

Just had a pampering recovery day of lots of sauna time at Leith Victoria, a little swim, and now settling down to cleaning up and savoring a selection of fine stouts, triples, and IPAs from my fridge :-)
Ray Young

Re: Edinburgh Capital Trail 2016 - ride report

Post by Ray Young »

Nice write up and a good time set, well done. Beers well deserved :-bd .
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Good effort!

I'd planned on touring it this weekend but had to cancel my train tickets after crashing and picking up a knee injury a couple of weeks ago.
I'd planned to do it over 2-3 days so nothing like your crazy schedule. Will probably wait until September now...
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Is there any ride that you do that doesn't feature a cheese baguette?
Nikk

Post by Nikk »

AlasdairMc wrote:Is there any ride that you do that doesn't feature a cheese baguette?
It is now a tradition. My main preparation for the Highland Trail Race is selecting the best brie and bread to take. I have enlisted Valvona & Crolla in my quest, and await their report...

:mrgreen:
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Interesting write up. Sounds like a good option to ride next weekend if the weather makes the CL too risky.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Might head up next week sometime and ride it as was looking to do the cairngorm loops but rather wait till the weather is a bit nicer tbh. The capital trail is my next best option and closer to get to.

Where is best to leave a car for three days? And best starting place I was thinking near the bottom if the route?
Nikk

Post by Nikk »

Mike wrote:Where is best to leave a car for three days? And best starting place I was thinking near the bottom if the route?
I think if you want to do the ITT Capital Trail, you need to start and end at Portobello Promenade. There is a car park on the West end of the promenade that is free.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Sat in a cafe in Peebles having decided to abandon this route! No doubt the weather will now clear up but it was brutal last night and this morning, making progress agonisingly slow! Riding through cloud in the dark, I went right past the Bothy without seeing it and had an interesting red-eye bivi as a storm tried to destroy my lightweight tarp...

Also lost a chunk of time in the Sidlaw hills with snow making the trail a push-slog, followed by several knee deep river crossings! It doesn't take a lot of bad weather to really bugger natural trails. The route is good, and I will come back again, once it has dried out and with a decent forecast.
Javi

Post by Javi »

Nice write up, Nikk. One day I'll have to ride it.

I was browsing your blog a little bit and found some pics of the HTR '15 and put a big smile on my face. Can't wait for this year!