Yr Elenydd

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

atk

Yr Elenydd

Post by atk »

Not quite bikepacking, I did sleep in a tent, get soaked, my cleats started to freeze and I saw several Stu-approved bridleways (signed posted, not visible on the ground, mostly tussocks) so figured I'd cross-post this here...

Yr Eleyndd - Part 1

In short Yr Elenydd @ 30 was fantastic. It's the first 300km audax I've ridden and I don't think I could have picked a better organised or more interesting route, I can see why it's run for 30 years! Incredible and varied scenery throughout, really helped keep the kms ticking away all day.

Arrived about 10pm on Friday, chatted with a few people in the village hall, seemed like most people were down the pub. Opted to get the tent pitched as it had started to drizzle and crawled into my sleeping bag as the rain came in. About half 3 when the sky cleared and the temp dropped rapidly below freezing, woke up shivering about 4:45, pulled some extra layers on and thought about trying to squeeze 15 minutes of sleep in before the alarm went off but quickly sat that off and set about getting some food and packing things up for the day.

Must have been close to 100 riders at the start. Plenty of chat from those who'd seen the most recent weather forecasts mixed in with talk of great climbs, winding descents and magical tailwinds in previous years, a few people even discussing strategies for the Tregaron mountain road (bringing mtb shoes to walk the first set of switchbacks!). We were set off in waves, I was faffing a bit and I missed these completely, but wasn't quite the last person to leave.

The controls are well spaced on this ride, dividing it up into 6 fairly even chunks. The first section to Shobden airfield was easy going, relatively flat and the sun was shining. Chatted with several riders including Paul from Audax Club Hackney. The airfield was pretty cool and was well timed for a second breakfast. Paul and others set off while I made use of the facilities and had a quick look at some of the planes...

The weather began to turn on the next section, drizzle at first, some heavy showers and a few glimmers of sunshine. Passed a few riders and eventually ended up in Bulith Wells for the free control. Pleased with my pace at this point, 5 1/2 hours in, 100km down and 1/4 of the climbing done, keeping things nice and steady before the mountain roads...

Somewhere along the A483 Paul caught up (having stopped for more coffee) and just as we turned off the main road, I met a couple of riders I recognised from the Radway 150 earlier in the year. The climbing started through the woods and along the edge of the valley towards the control in Abergwesyn was where I'd say the ride really gets going, unfortunately it was also when the weather started to come in and we descended to the control in a hailstorm. As we waited for brews to cool and one slightly underdressed rider lined their helmet with a spare brevet card bag the hail thankfully turned to snow.

The mountain road to Tregaron was breathtaking (literally from the effort taken to get up it and figuratively from the views and quality of riding!). Reduced visibility from the snow hid the Devil's Staircase and it's 25% switchbacks until I crossed the Irfon. Glad to have my 30x28 gear I managed to grind my way up and was greeted by clear skies at the first summit. There were several fire roads leading off either side and it was tempting to deviate from the route, maybe on a drier day... Descending into the next valley required concentration, 25% gradients on a damp and shaded road, the new Compass tyres gripped well, their price almost justified on that stretch of road alone.

The next two climbs were equally steep but with the sun ahead and the roads drying fast, felt a little easier. Stopped part way up to take jacket off and took a couple of photos (and an accidental selfie as my phone objected to being used with soggy gloves)

Desolate is probably the only way to describe the surroundings at Nantymaen and token photo of Wales most remote public telephone

The final climb of this section was a freshly surfaced strip of tarmac followed by a 13km descent into Tregaron, arriving at the control just as a huge hailstorm pulled in.

Staff at the bowling club were incredibly friendly and in great spirits, with food being forced on me before I even made it to the hatch to order! I took my time to eat as gloves dried on the radiator and everyone was peering out the windows hoping for a glimpse of blue sky on the horizon. The hail eventually died off, but not before a dozen riders dragged themselves in looking thoroughly beat up.

Set off from Tregaron still in good spirits, 9 hours in, 150km and the steepest climbs out of the way, mostly dried out, a gentle tailwind and one hilly section to go...

Part 2 tomorrow!
atk

Re: Yr Elenydd

Post by atk »

Yr Elenydd Part Deux!

Will try and keep this fairly brief...

Leaving Tregaron the roads were covered in slush from the hail and snow, again the sun graced us with an appearance and we rolled along steaming roads towards Ysbyty Ystwyth. The next section was easily the high point of the ride, following the River Ystwyth in glorious sunshine we climbed through Hafod Forest and flew down the lanes towards Cwmystwth. At some point my jacket flew out of the elastic on my saddlebag, thankfully retrieved and returned by a rider from Saddleworth Clarion when I realised and stopped in the village.

Continuing to follow the river we rode along the edge of the valley, past the abandoned mining remains, before reaching the Elan valley and starting a series of stunning climbs.

Two riders had stopped for a picnic under Glan Fedwen, then sun was shining bright up the valley at this point and if I'd had more food I'd have probably joined them!

The road levels out until it crosses Monk's Trod and meets the hairpins featured in the scenic BCM. Dry roads meant a fast descent into Rhaydar and the 4th control. 12 hours down, 200km ridden, most of the climbing now out of the way. Several riders had opted for full meals, I didn't feel too hungry and a lack of cheese-free veggie options saw me getting toasted teacakes and a brew. The picnic-ing riders arrived as I finished eating and promptly order double Jamersons, leaving several riders pondering why they hadn't thought of that too!

As I went to refill bottles I saw Paul again and we went on to ride the remaining 100km together. The remainder of the ride was pretty straight forward, with easy navigation and gradual climbs to the penultimate control - Old Wheelwrights cafe. Opening late especially they served a choice of stews, pudding, hot drinks or cans of coke. The room itself was a little surreal, the lights dimmed as the kettle went on, they'd put dust covers on everything and had a stand full of wedding cakes on display...

Getting back on the bikes, the temperature had dropped to 0. Primaloft gloves went on and after an half an hour or so we started the final climb up Long Mynd. This helped generate a little heat, but didn't do much to help the final descent into Shrewsbury. I could feel the heat being sucked out of my feet as cleats started to freeze.

Rolled back into the village hall at 11:30pm. 17 1/2 hours out, just over 3 hours of that spent at the various controls. Handing cards in we received commemorative mugs, I promptly filled mine with hot Ribena! Several riders were sat with beers and tucking into plates of cottage pie or apple crumble, after a bit of a chat I ambled down to the tent, clambered into my sleeping bag and was asleep shortly after.

Woke early on Sunday and spent an hour or so wriggling around in my sleeping bag trying to muster the energy to get moving. The field had frosted over and there was a fair bit of ice on the tent outer,. Thankfully the sun was out early and this started to thaw. I was glad to have taken the tent rather than a bivvy. It kept me warm enough, despite the optimistic choice of sleeping bag, and dry. I packed my stuff back into the front panniers, had a quick chat with a few people loitering in the village hall (some tucking into leftover cottage pie for breakfast...) and eventually set off. I'd hurriedly plotted a route back to my parents on Friday, ~100km or so and relatively flat. Legs were a little grumpy to start with but soon got into the swing of it. My route back was pretty crap. The first chunk was on busy A-roads, a start contrast to Saturday's ride... despite the sunshine I began to lose interest in riding the whole way back, diverted to Crewe and hopped on a train. Still an extra 60km in the legs with some extra weight on the bike. Just short of 380km over the weekend in total.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I enjoyed that. I know most of the route judging by the pics and description ... reckon the route would actually make a nice 2-3 day tour.
May the bridges you burn light your way
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Brilliant - enjoyed that :grin: :-bd
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
atk

Post by atk »

For completeness, this year's route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/12275510 :)
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Really enjoyed that write up Andy. Been up and down the Devil's Staircase a few times, not least on this ride in 2009, so I know what that section in and out of Tregaron is like. :-bd

(I must start taking my camera with me again on some rides.)
Chew

Post by Chew »

Good to see people out and about.
My first Audax out from Hebden on Sunday. Amazing scenery with a cloud inversion in the valley, with Heptonstall church poking out and a good covering of snow on the higher ground.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Great write up. Should really enter into an audax ride, keep putting it off