Knoydart Misadventure

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

vorlich

Knoydart Misadventure

Post by vorlich »

Didn't accomplish my original plan, not even a wild camp, but might make for interesting reading if you're heading to Knoydart.

TL;DR My advice: if you are wanting purely to ride, give it a miss, if you want a bit of an adventure starting with a train/ferry to a remote west coast start point, as part of a longer multi day ride, go for it, it'll make you appreciate actually pedalling all the more.

https://mcalisterium.wordpress.com/2016 ... noyed-art/
whitestone

Re: Knoydart Misadventure

Post by whitestone »

Nice one.

Being flexible in your plans is, to me, key to getting the most out of trips, no point in forcing yourself in to having to stick to your initial plan if weather and conditions dictate otherwise.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Ian

Post by Ian »

Liked that - a good read and photos (the one of the deer especially).

Sometimes trips are like that, rolling with what the route/ conditions will permit is the only way.

I do find Knoydart tempting (even before your post). Maybe with a fat bike things would run a bit better?
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Great pics and write-up. I'm jealous, despite the weather you had. Sounds like you made all the right choices to me.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Good write up, I enjoyed that. Mates have done most of the trails around Knoydart including the gruesome Kinlochourn path. There are some good ones (Sourlies bothy to Glen Dessary being one) but its all pretty hardcore - they too had horrible weather (and midges)....
vorlich

Post by vorlich »

Ian wrote:Maybe with a fat bike things would run a bit better?
I'd been debating this very question myself during the push up Mam Barrisdale, and I think it would, at least up that section, but not really for the rest of it.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

vorlich( :oops: )
Fascinating write up.
I have been considering this route but in reverse as the end of an east west route starting in Aberdeen.
Did you consider the route via Gleann Meadail Glen Dessarry Loch Arkaig which I think is the 'classic rough bounds route' although could be wrong?
Is the hut at Barisdale open to the public or is it private and need to book or ask for key to get access?
Last edited by Mariner on Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

A great read and some fantastic photos. I think having the means of the mindset to adapt according to the weather, conditions etc is the best policy, keeps it fresh and enjoyable :-bd
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

I came in and out of Knoydart a couple of years ago on MTB - did not use the ferry!
Road along Loch Arkaig, then the normal Glen Dessary (or Disarray as I prefer to call it). Soon after A Chuil the path becomes unrideable and stays that way all the way to Sourlies.

Pondering on nuances of rideability with fat bikes or otherwise does not apply to Knoydart!

Stayed at Sourlies, then pushed all the way over the pass and managed to ride the rest of the way to Inverie. Road over to the other coast on a fine landrover track. I already knew the return trip over Mam Barrisdale to Kinlockhourn would be difficult: a bit of riding to foot of MB, then ride down and a little rideable bit along past the big house, then all the 6 miles by the side of the Loch Hourn to Kinlochourn was tough pushing. Later found out it was 30C that day!

I'd already walked all this and knew what I was letting myself in for. It's a great place and a unique experience, but it's far from bikeable.
It's so tough in fact that getting in and out of Knoydart with a bike was one of the main things that convinced me I might be able to cope with the HT.
vorlich

Post by vorlich »

Mariner wrote: Is the hut at Barisdale open to the public or is it private and need to book or ask for key to get access?
It's open to the public, no need to book. Bunks, running water and flushing loo. There is an honesty box with a £3 charge. Or I think £1 to camp out front and use of the loo.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

It's open to the public, no need to book. Bunks, running water and flushing loo. There is an honesty box with a £3 charge. Or I think £1 to camp out front and use of the loo.
Sounds as though its worth the effort just to see that stay there.
Personally traveling through unrideable areas is what its all about provided it doesn't turn into a death march.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
vorlich

Post by vorlich »

Mariner wrote:
Sounds as though its worth the effort just to see that stay there.
Personally traveling through unrideable areas is what its all about provided it doesn't turn into a death march.
It was tolerable for 4hrs, anymore would've been toys out of the pram. I did use the term 'death march' in the blog, but my mood and perception changed almost as soon as it was over. Dry conditions would've made it less miserable, and perhaps a companion to moan at/blame. :) But the midge will be hell come summer, make no mistake. :)
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Ian wrote:Liked that - a good read and photos (the one of the deer especially).
Second that - good to see your photos again Fraser :-bd
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Mart

Post by Mart »

Thank you - that brought back a few memories for me
At university, we used to do the upkeep on the Barrisdale bothy, and used week long work camps to explore extensively
The roof looks new, Does it still have the bath? fed by the heating of water via the stove. It took all day to heat the water enough for 1 fill, but it was sheer luxury in a bothy :-bd

The path over to Kinloch Hourn is bad with a heavy pack - sounds torture with a heavy pack and The road out to the main road, I remember hitching along.
only 2 cars passed us all day. First one was a farmer who took us the first third of the way. Then some kind tourists taking us to the end
I was always puzzled as to why they wanted to get to the end only to turn tail and return but it worked to our advantage

Thanks for sharing
Mart
2924 miles per Gallon