gRVOL 2016

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

GregMay

gRVOL 2016

Post by GregMay »

First there was the RVOL - Ronde van Oost Lancashire. An event my good friend Alan put together to ride on the day of The Ronde van Vlaanderen taking in the best of the cobbles he knew about as well as some brutal climbs. It was always a precursor to a few beers and some shouting at cyclists on the TV. Fun times.

In 2013 he stopped doing it as - lots of people turned up (ace) it was never an official event (hmmm) there were crashes and people grumbling about who ran it (bad). He walked away and a few of us still rode it when we could on the day it is supposed to be run. The first Sunday of April - Flanders Day.

I've spoke with Alan - claimed his original idea as my own - then changed it from a road event to "a thing that probably shouldn't be done on road tyres, but hey, you're vaguely exciting so I'm sure you can but I wouldn't if I were you" thing.

As that wasn't a snappy name I changed it to gRVOL - gravel Ronde Van Oost Lancashire.

April 3rd - meet at the front of the Old Gate in Hebden Bridge (http://www.oldgatehebden.co.uk/) to roll out at 9am. I'll post a link to the GPX and Route Map before the week before the gathering.

Usual self supported rules apply (http://selfsupporteduk.net/) apply except for drafting - do that all you like - it won't help on a 30% cobbled climb anyway. As ever, this is not a race, sanctioned event, or anything other than a suggested route to take - enjoy the scenery - maybe even take a picture of a lamb. There are no prizes, no timed sections, nothing - just you and your bike.

Afterwards, beers in the Old Gate.

ps - I really wouldn't take road tyres, but I would take tyres that roll well on road.
atk

Re: gRVOL 2016

Post by atk »

In the calendar, should be there!
Chew

Post by Chew »

Free that weekend, so should be up for that.

I'll decide which bike after seeing the route.

I'm assuming an gentle warm up via the Buttress???
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Got it in one Chew :)
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Just to clarify for a few people:

[*]This is not the ITT I've been working on - that'll be later in the year.
[*]A MTB will be overkill - a road bike will be a silly idea.
[*]It'll be about 100km, with close as I can to 3,000m of climbing.

I think that's it for now.
mikehowarth

Post by mikehowarth »

Hey Greg

I'm moving back in to my place in 'Fax later on in the month, so should be about more at weekends.

My diary is currently free for this weekend so definitely up for this!

Cheers

Mike
mjsmart

Post by mjsmart »

Sounds good! Hopefully I'll be there.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

So, I rode the route on Saturday in .... interesting weather conditions. With some stops for photos, some route option checking, and some faffing. It took me 6.5 hours. Frankly, it's what I wanted it to be - a big ride that I can use for Tour Divide training, on that bike, that will give me a minor pummelling.

ImageHome by Greg.May, on Flickr

Basic stats:
40/60 - road/off-road mix - where the roads = back roads and cobbles.
95/99km in distance.
3,250 ish METERS of climbing.
Many, many food options...well some anyway.

ImageIMGP1234.jpg by Greg.May, on Flickr

Breakdown:
Starts at Hebden Bridge, at the Carpark beside the pedestrian area - then up a nice little opener to Heptonstall....yes, nice.
0-10km has 550m of climbing - if you're not happy after this, possibly turn around, ride some trails, go to the pub. This is probably the easiest bit of the route.
10-35km - mixture of some road, mostly off-road on gravel, bridleway, grass, some packhorse. All ridable -the most technical bit of riding on the whole route is on this bit, on the way to Wycoller.
35-60km - Industrial North, road + cobbles + climbs. Once through the bridge at Colne it's the original RVOL route with some tweaks.
60-85km - Back into Yorkshire over the tops on a mixture of gravel - road - bridleways - some random trails. High, and exposed to the wind.
85-95km - Calderdale at its finest. You drop into Tod - then up to the top again, along London Road, then down a nice descent to finish you off.

ImageIMGP1229.jpg by Greg.May, on Flickr

Notes:
Don't bother trying to ride this on a road bike - it's not the RVOL.
Seriously, don't.
You'll easily get a CX bike, with decent volume tyres around it - if you're the kind of rider who thinks it's quite normal to ride CX bikes around the 3 Peaks.
A rigid MTB would be fine. It's what I used.
It's definitely singlespeedable - but the road sections may suck a bit.
Suspension, sure, why not. But there is nothing you really need it for TBH.

ImageNearly There by Greg.May, on Flickr

Caveat:
There are some steep downs - obviously you'd be smart and watch your speed and watch out for other users.
Due to building works on the Clowbridge Reservoir - and the Bridleway across it, the route diverts up a footpath, the way everyone else has been - naughty, but it's the current diversion in place. Obviously you'd walk this.
In order to get onto the RVOL loop at Colne, there is some footpath at the side of the river for 500m. Obviously you'd walk this.
The Pennine Bridleway still has gates. Close them after you.

Not going to lie. This route is harder, and better, than what I thought it was going to be. I'm quite, quite happy with it.

I'll be riding out from Hebden at 9am on Sunday morning from the carpark - info here for 7 Days https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yfzg1alffpw4 ... nk1fa?dl=0
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

This sounds quite good Greg, thanks for making/testing/sharing. It's the sort of distance and place in the UK that I could fit into a weekend, so I might plan this.

Cheers.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

No problem.

I'll be releasing the ITT I've been working on at some point soon.

Some trails will be from this.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Might be user error, but can't get the file to work :cry:
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Chew wrote:Might be user error, but can't get the file to work :cry:
User error :wink:

atk

Post by atk »

I also had problems with the file, converted to GPX track and it seemed to work ok, pm me an email and I can forward if needed...
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Tcx plays nice on a Garmin.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Works fine for me.

TCX had extra data in it - that may be the issue for some.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Thanks

Sorted now
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

:-bd
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

People are dropping like flies :)

But I will still be there around 8.45/50 - rolling at 9am.

Happy to send the route to anyone who misses it.
Chew

Post by Chew »

I will be too. Looks a nice day for it.
See you before 9 assuming I get out of bed in time.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Most excellent. Giles is coming too. Possibly Phil Simcock. Should be a laugh at least.

Anyone who's bored - my SPOT is here: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... HLOn6GBpu0
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Most excellent day today.

Started off a bit grey and moist. At this, I was not impressed. Still, a ride is a ride as my old man used to say.

ImageIMG_3821-Pano by Greg.May, on Flickr

Met Phil Simcock and Giles - a lot of people had sacked it off overnight - which was fine. Up the buttress...walking within 10m as it was way too greasy to ride. Up the Heptonberg and the weather started to clear before we dropped down again, and up to Jack Bridge, past the House of sub standard before taking off layers. It was now warm, it didn't change -14'C for the rest of the day. BOOM.

Up and over the gravel roads before down to Egypt and over to Gorple. Pace was a little much for Giles arthritic foot so we agreed he'd ride on to Wycoller and see what happens from there. Over the Bronte Way, down the PBW until SPLASH across the ford and a cheeky coffee in the tourist cafe - parking bikes beside a few Astons and a Ferrari!

Road now, and Giles pulled off, so we bombed down to Colne to relish the cobbles. I'd forgotten just how much there is in so short a distance! Up and along into Pendle Witch Country and the 1 in 4 climbs started to drag my fully TRD ladened bike down a bit, but suffer on and get it done. Quick bit of gravel into Sabden before up and down into Padiham. Where my GPS, that I hadn't changed the batteries in after all, crapped out. Phil of course didn't have the route. So we found a shop, bought some batteries and food, then got back on the gas.

Up and over the industrial roads before we climbed up beside Hameldon Head. Now we're off road again and along the Kings Road talking about probable extensions to the route into Rammy - this will be a MEGA route. Over by the golfball weather station, down to the sailing club - nearly wiped out - and over onto PBW and MTL before we run into a few mates who'd been stalking my SPOT.

ImageIMG_3826-Pano by Greg.May, on Flickr

Phil splits off to Rammy and I ride with Chipps and Beata for a bit before bailing up and over the top of Thievly Pike and down past the House of Pigs before ringing the wife in Tod - "fancy a chip supper and pint" find out she's buying with winnings from the Darwen Half Marathon. Game. On. I've got 30mins to make the chippy.

Up Honey Hole Road (quite steep) along London Road before hammering it down the last descent to get to the chippy in time. Food + beer.

101km in 6hrs 19mins - great day out.