West Highland Way

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Blair512

West Highland Way

Post by Blair512 »

I've always wanted to walk the WHW but family commitments these days mean I can't be wasting a weeks holiday so I was thinking of a 3 day trip on the bike. Planning on a mid April departure, probably on a Friday and the pace will be easy going. Anyone fancy tagging along for moral support?
padonbike

Re: West Highland Way

Post by padonbike »

You'll need more than moral support when it comes to to the Loch Lomond bit between the wigwam campsite (North) and Rowardennan (South). Not pleasant and actually a bit dangerous in places trying to lift your bike up over horrible slippery massive boulders. The rest is pretty easy and rideable, but Loch Lomond is 15 ball-breaking kilometres.
MM-on-POINT

Post by MM-on-POINT »

I have this on the cards aswell for the 22nd April, plan is to leave Friday from Glasgow and average 25-33 miles a day spreading it out over 3-4 days.
Train from crewe-glasgow Thursday night and back from fort William when I get there. Not racing just rambling and camping.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

MM-on-POINT wrote:I have this on the cards aswell for the 22nd April, plan is to leave Friday from Glasgow and average 25-33 miles a day spreading it out over 3-4 days.
Train from crewe-glasgow Thursday night and back from fort William when I get there. Not racing just rambling and camping.
I had planned the weekend before but I can see if I can get that Friday off work if you fancied teaming up? Rambling and camping is exactly what I'm looking to do as well
Last edited by Blair512 on Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

padonbike wrote:You'll need more than moral support when it comes to to the Loch Lomond bit between the wigwam campsite (North) and Rowardennan (South). Not pleasant and actually a bit dangerous in places trying to lift your bike up over horrible slippery massive boulders. The rest is pretty easy and rideable, but Loch Lomond is 15 ball-breaking kilometres.
Yeah I've read about the brutal hike a bike, considered taking the west side of the loch but I'd really like to complete the actual route. May regret this decision when the hiking starts though!
deft punk

Post by deft punk »

Depending on your timings you can always take a look & head back for the ferry if you're not into that bit
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

If your taking your time then Doune bothy would be a good place to stop on day one as it comes at the end of the bike hike section and there is always plenty of wood to be had for a fire along the shoreline. Also, if there are two of you then you can help each other over the worst bits like the scramble and ladder steps. Try not to have too much weight on the front end either or else you'll end up with very sore shoulders from all the lifting, a newbie mistake I made to my regret as I suffered aching shoulders for the rest of the ride.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Cheers Ray, I'll have a look at that. Trying to decide whether to take the hard tail and get a cheap frame bag for it or take the susser and carry a back pack. Leaning to the susser for a bit more fun on the descents, what do you think?
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

WHW is one of the few times i would say a backpack over loading the bike up.

I hated it. I dont mind hike a bike but having to carry the bike for hours does my head in.
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

about 10km or more of that .... once you past that it is actually nice to ride if you do it early or late season.

nightmare in peak.

Fit a bell.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Yeah a backpack could be a good idea by the look of that, might pad my back a bit from the weight of the bike!
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Blair512 wrote:Cheers Ray, I'll have a look at that. Trying to decide whether to take the hard tail and get a cheap frame bag for it or take the susser and carry a back pack. Leaning to the susser for a bit more fun on the descents, what do you think?
Either would do. If you take the hard tail then maybe take a small backpack that you could decant the bar bag into for the bike hike section. There really is only the one bad bike hike section but it's a bugger, about 5 kilometres worth from Inversnaid to Doune. The section leading up to Inversnaid is also bike hike but with rideable bits, nowhere near as bad as the next bit.The Devil's Staircase is more of a push in my opinion. From what i recall the only descent really worthy of a full susser is the Devil's Staircase to Kinlochleven. The descent off Rannoch Moor is nice too though but then again I've never ridden a full susser so what do I know :wink: .
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Ray Young wrote:decant the bar bag into for the bike hike section.
I did similar when I rode it with full gear. My approach was to have an Alpkit Airlok Xtra on the front in a Wildcat harness, and I took the two straps it comes with so I could simply clip the bag onto my rucksack.

The Loch Lomond carry section really isn't that bad. If you just accept it's part of the route and you need to do it, and you'll be through it within a couple of hours, then it's fine. Doune Bothy is a good shout, or you could press on a bit further to Beinnglass Farm as there's a pub and camping. Second day, ride to Kinlochleven to the hostel and then it's an easy morning to Fort William, or camp at the Kingshouse.

The Devil's Staircase is a push but 30-45 mins, but the descent over the other side is just sublime. It's easily one of my favourite trails, and is well worth the push. I also love the descent from Rannoch Moor to the ski centre, and some of the singletrack on the side of Loch Lomond. All in all it's a lovely bike route.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Not much to add. I liked using my full susser, did it in about 1.5 days from Fort Bill to Glasgow (and didn't know about the hike a bike bit, that caught me off gaurd!). Bivvied by King's House Hotel. Some good riding to be had, full sus was good as I didn't have quite as much core/fitness as now, so the full sus took the bumps out on the long slogs, and you could be a slight hooligan on descents!

I'll just leave this here:

West Highland Way (2012) by Chris Reeves, on Flickr

This was the extent of my setup..!

West Highland Way (2012) by Chris Reeves, on Flickr
MM-on-POINT

Post by MM-on-POINT »

Hi Blair,
Yeah I am game for teaming up, I may be able to swap to your weekend if you can not to mine.
Lets chat and work out plans, what side of the country are you coming from?
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

:lol:
AlasdairMc wrote:

The Loch Lomond carry section really isn't that bad. If you just accept it's part of the route and you need to do it, and you'll be through it within a couple of hours, then it's fine. Doune Bothy is a good shout, or you could press on a bit further to Beinnglass Farm as there's a pub and camping. Second day, ride to Kinlochleven to the hostel and then it's an easy morning to Fort William, or camp at the Kingshouse.

The Devil's Staircase is a push but 30-45 mins, but the descent over the other side is just sublime. It's easily one of my favorite trails, and is well worth the push. I also love the descent from Rannoch Moor to the ski centre, and some of the singletrack on the side of Loch Lomond. All in all it's a lovely bike route.
Pub or bothy, now there's a question I'll have to ponder!!! :lol: I was thinking a bivvy somewhere between Kings house hotel and the devils staircase night 2. Means we are hitting the devils staircase with fresh legs in the morning.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

MM-on-POINT wrote:Hi Blair,
Yeah I am game for teaming up, I may be able to swap to your weekend if you can not to mine.
Lets chat and work out plans, what side of the country are you coming from?
Sounds good Matt, I got your PM. I'll drop you a text tomorrow when I have some time, I'm off to chuck my kit together so I can try and get out for a quick Friday night bivvy to keep up my bivvy a month! :-bd
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Blair512 wrote: Pub or bothy, now there's a question I'll have to ponder!!! :lol: I was thinking a bivvy somewhere between Kings house hotel and the devils staircase night 2. Means we are hitting the devils staircase with fresh legs in the morning.
Just bivi outside the Kingshouse as there's lots of flat grass. The ride from the Kingshouse to the Devil's Staircase is a wee climb and some lovely trails, but probably not bivi territory as it's a hill to start with and then pretty close to the road at the end.
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

the loch lomod bit was memorable but just knuckle down and dont take to much stuff and it eventually ends ! then its great !!! decent down to kinlock leven is vaguely exciting, the glen coe part is stunning ye loved it but never again after the lochlomond part ;)
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Blair, have you set a definite date yet?
Artie Fufkin

Post by Artie Fufkin »

Ray,
The weekend before the WRT is when we are going. Friday from Milngavie and hopefully first train out of FW on Monday morning!
Fancy a spin?
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Leaving on the 22nd of April Ray, 3 days riding a night in fort bill and the train home on Monday. Fancy a wee jaunt?

* What Adam said ^, too slow with my typing!
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I'm tempted. If I am unable to do the ride I have planned for the last week of April then I may tag along. Will let you know, thanks.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

No probs Ray, would be good to get out with you again. Just drop me a text or an email and I'll fill you in on the details