Northern Winiter Bivi

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Chew

Northern Winiter Bivi

Post by Chew »

The weather during the day was a bit bleak, but the forecast suggested that things would get better after 4. George and Rob joined me in the pub to enjoy a beverage and some pork based products as we watched the rain radar for progress.

At 4.30 the worst of it had passed, so we headed out into the drizzle. The rivers where high and the puddles deep, but nothing a bit of bravado couldnt overcome.

Over to the pub to warm up in front of the fire and eat quite a bit of food. Heading back out into the cold night and chatting to the landlord, he says wait a minute.....

.....well it would be rude to turn it down.
No real plan about where we would stop for the night, but the cold wind and sodden ground would make choosing a spot crucial. As we arrived up at Withins farm we discovered that the the walkers shelter was unlocked. A nice bench for 2 to sleep on and George ended up on the floor after loosing out via Paper, Scissors Stone.

We awoke to a fantastic sunrise and a frost.

A bum clenching ride over the icy stone slabs towards Widdop and then picking up the various trails over to Tod before dropping to the canal and along back to the pub

ianfitz

Re: Northern Winiter Bivi

Post by ianfitz »

I was think of you all yesterday. good to see that you have survived, and had a good one!

I'd be very interested to know the GR for withins farm too!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ianfitz wrote:I was think of you all yesterday. good to see that you have survived, and had a good one!

I'd be very interested to know the GR for withins farm too!
It's Top Withins, AKA Wuthering Heights - http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=398116 ... &A=Y&Z=115
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

despite the weather this was great fun if a bit cold and treacherous at times haha !
here are some photos:

thanks to Chew for organizing this !
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I was wondering where you managed to get dry shelter :)
Rob A

Post by Rob A »

Cheers for a great trip out, a nice variety of trails and weather. Glad I didn't let the forecast put me off but delaying the start was a good call.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Well done for getting out chaps, after looking at your pics i'm sorry i missed it :|
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
FLV

Post by FLV »

I cut my teeth riding out of burnley back in the day, the pics bring back fond memorys.

Looks a nice little trip. I'll make a point of getting back up that way before too long.