Trans Cambrian Trail

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ian

Re: Trans Cambrian Trail

Post by Ian »

Good luck dude.

If the wetness in the Beacons is anything to go by, it'll be a tough one I reckon.

I'm sure you're up to it though :-bd
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Cheers, Ian. I figure there's some slushy bits here and there. Playing it by ear at the moment...might be a bothy stop in there somewhere, might not. If I'm on my own...I'd like to give it a go in one. I suspect your double time is safe :)

Greetz

S.
Stumpym4

Post by Stumpym4 »

Hope its a bit dryer there than it is in Birmingham ? ...
Its dark wet windy and miserable but warm !!
go enjoy yourself, look forward to the pics
Mike

Post by Mike »

If I wasn't working pal I'd of winged with ya :sad:
KamelTrek

Post by KamelTrek »

Hi All, Planning to ride this route Dec 19/20. Weather looks glorious. I'll start a new thread but wanted first to get a quick feel for who is up for it?

Likely train to Knighton Friday evening, ride Sat/Sun and back Sunday evening or Monday morning depending on progress.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/gb/wales/ ... 203?day=33

Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

G'day KT...I'd be up for another stab at this route. I'll watch out for your thread. Here's hoping the ground dries up a little beforehand and the lakes and swamps recede.

Greetz

S.
KamelTrek

Post by KamelTrek »

Scattamah wrote:G'day KT...I'd be up for another stab at this route. I'll watch out for your thread. Here's hoping the ground dries up a little beforehand and the lakes and swamps recede.

Greetz

S.
I'd love to have you there as I've never done this trail before and one year into bike packing means I can use experienced partners. Hoping that four days without rain will dry things out a bit. I'm inspired by the promise of sunshine and crisp cool days. Will wait to hear from others and will start my new thread.
Chew

Post by Chew »

KamelTrek wrote:Planning to ride this route Dec 19/20. Weather looks glorious.

I admire your belief that any long range forecast for Wales will be correct :wink:
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

KamelTrek wrote:...Hoping that four days without rain will dry things out a bit...
Four days?! Pack dry socks and be prepared for wet feet...and perhaps a serious ford crossing!

Greetz

S.
KamelTrek

Post by KamelTrek »

Hi Chew. I think it's the hangover from they last weekend in September in Wales when I did an adventure race. Probably they nicest weekend all year.
KamelTrek

Post by KamelTrek »

Scattamah wrote:
KamelTrek wrote:...Hoping that four days without rain will dry things out a bit...
Four days?! Pack dry socks and be prepared for wet feet...and perhaps a serious ford crossing!

Greetz

S.
I have these waterproof socks and Gore Boots. But I'm not counting on anything but getting wet. How deep are the fords? Knee high?
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

The first ford I went through was approaching waist deep. I'm 5'9" with avg length legs. I'd recommend the bridge next time around. The 2nd ford I took the bridge. I don't know about beyond the 50 mile mark as I bailed off the route.

Greetz

S.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The highest 'ford' I've ever crossed was the one at the end of Claerwen. The ford itself was too deep, wide and fast to attempt, so I went upstream a little and the water was around shoulder height in places ... granted, that may actually equate to thigh height for many :wink: That was after a wet couple of weeks in August two years ago. :shock:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

It was dark when I looked at that rather wide Claerwen ford...and I was subsequently delighted to see Ians GPX took the little bridge to the left of the ford. It was a touch tricky getting a bike back down the rocks when wet with shoes that aren't designed for rock climbing :)

Greetz

S.
KamelTrek

Post by KamelTrek »

Got it, swimming and climbing maybe required skills, and all I was looking for was a long bike ride.
Folks, thank you so much for your input and advice. I'm pumped and ready to go. I will start a new thread with the title "Trans Cambrian Way ride Dec 19 and 20, 2015"
Any advice on starting the thread, or requests, please let me know.
See you at the other thread.