An evening in the Shropshire hils

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ian

Re: An evening in the Shropshire hils

Post by Ian »

Mike wrote:Right iv made my mind up on this guys. The weather just looks far to shocking to enjoy riding in it for the day then camping out. I will put it on again next spring when the weather looks a little friendlier. For those of u hardcore enough to still and I know there will be a few of u fairplay have a good weekend I will think of u whilst I'm in the house keeping dry :wink:
I thought firemen liked water? :wink:
slarge

Post by slarge »

So, with all the dropouts it was left to an intrepid trio of Scott, Rob and me to brave the elements and ride bikes, drink beer, eat food and bivvy out in some strange place. After a quick coffee in Church Stretton waiting to see if Burty would turn up we ventured forth, straight into a sharp climb up through the golf course to the top of the Long Mynd. The weather kept promising the worst, but the rain kept off, with just light drizzle and a stiff breeze. A decent ride up and down the ridge, including a cracking descent of Minton Batch, we then headed over towards the Stiperstones - passing with just a small coincidence The Bridges pub. I don't think they minded 3 soaking wet filthy mountainbikers sitting in the pub, but a pint and a meal later we headed out up and over the Stiperstones. Some cracking riding, just a little slippy and slidey, the rain stayed vertical, and the ground getting more and more waterlogged, we were getting wet from above and below. The wind picked up as we headed back to the Long Mynd ridge, and as it got dark we headed towards All Stretton, down through the wettest grassy field you could imagine. We timed the arrival at The Ragleth Arms almost to perfection, and while Scott banged on the door, Rob and I went to check out the campsite at Small Batch to see if there was a dry sheltered spot. The campsite was empty, waterlogged, and quite shut, so on return to the pub we considered our options. A decent meal and a few pints later we hit the road, having decided to investigate a derelict cottage and barn we had ridden past earlier - if that didn't work we were off up into the woods. The wind was increasing to 40mph, so it was a choice of shelter or shredded tents. Around 11pm we got to the cottage, the door was padlocked and the windows too small so we checked the barn out, a good roof, dry floor, some walls meant this was better than most travelodges. I think we all had an interrupted night listening to the wind, but at least it was dry and we were sheltered. I think it was definitely an overnight spot to arrive late and leave early! Sunday was a shorter ride, up and over the Long Mynd again, then down to Church Stretton and up to the Caradoc hill and along the side of the ridge. The ground was completely waterlogged, and it was still pretty wet and windy, but we were all enjoying the riding. Time wasn't hanging around though so we decided to head for home, before we started not enjoying it :wink:
Over the 2 days we did around 90km, 1400m of climbing and found some new trails. Thanks to Scott for sorting the route out and Rob and Scott for the company - I thoroughly enjoyed it, and despite the forecast, the weather wasn't as bad as promised. It was a shame more didn't make it, and it's a route that needs repeating in drier conditions, a summer bivvy would be brilliant. :-bd
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Nice one Mr Large (I owe you a beer!). Big thanks to you both for waiting for me at the bottom of every descent and for the excellent company. One day, I may just get ballsy enough to rip downhill as fast as you two :) In an interesting twist, I bettered my best time down #9 in the wet on day 2 legs! I see a range extender in my future after watching you both use them to full advantage on the ups.

Greetz

S.
Rob A

Post by Rob A »

Cheers Scott for sorting out a great route and both of you for the company. A very enjoyable weekend with perfectly timed pub stops to keep things on the right side of fun. I agree with Steve that it's certainly a route worth revisiting in slightly less moist conditions!