Whats lighting your ride?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jamiep

Re: Whats lighting your ride?

Post by jamiep »

This season's must-have Chinese light is a NiteFighter BT21, ~£40 from Gearbest.

The beam has a very wide throw with no hot spot, and is natural-coloured rather than blue-ish. Unlike previous Chinese jobs, the battery is very good (according to the MBTR forum reviews). And there is a very low mode suitable for road riding as well as an utterly stupid high mode (which much brighter than last year's SS2).
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Indeed, last years was the Solarstorm X2, which I have

I broke the mount the other day by falling off the bike so I've bodged it back together for now. I did think about buying this year's favourite, the BT21, but the X2 is doing fine enough to keep it

I bought an upgraded battery pack separately, and still have the original that came with the X2
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

2 joysticks, one on the bar and you've guessed it, one on my helmet.

Quite a big fan of cordless lights as this seems the weak point in my existing lights. I seem to but lights every two years, they just don't last (niterider, hope and topeak) but exposure just keep on going :-bd
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

And if you have a moment of stupidity with Exposure they will fix it for you. FoC for me despite my fault and being out of warranty.

Using some mix of Revo, MaxxD and an early Joystick.
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Was in the Lumicycle camp (good halogen) but now a Hope M4 - on the bars when no bar harness to obscure the throw in front of the wheel... on the head when a bar harness is on the bike and it's then handy for arrival in camp/set up of tent etc. until small Alpkit/Petzl head torch takes over.
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
stucowp

Post by stucowp »

I run a troutie liberator and exposure diablo mk1 just purchased an extra battery for both for the YD200 and BB200. Both been great just ran out of power too soon! Especially for riding 7 hours in the dark.....
danielgroves

Post by danielgroves »

Hope Vision Two (I wouldn't buy one again) and an Exposure Joystick on the lid.
Adventures and Photography Blog: danielgroves.net/adventures-photography
Twitter: @danielsgroves
Instagram: @danielsgroves
Photography on Facebook: facebook.com/danielgrovesphotography
Photography on Instagram: @danielgrovesphotography
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

danielgroves wrote:Hope Vision Two (I wouldn't buy one again) and an Exposure Joystick on the lid.
Why wouldn't you get another Hope? Just curious as I've had one for eight or nine years with no problem.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Perhaps an odd question but when mounting a helmet light where do you point the beam?
Ian

Post by Ian »

Usually at a shorter range to the one on my bars, to aid looking at things closer to me off the line I'm riding (eg in tight singletrack, or for things like bike/GPS). I'm usually using a Joystick that lacks umph for longer range illumination, in combo with a Revo.
atk

Post by atk »

I aim to have it pointing where I'm looking, if it's too low you end up craning your neck to see ahead and if it's too high, all scruching up your neck and shoulders.

Thankfully the Exposure mount has a fair bit of movement so you can adjust easily as you ride. Once set it's fine for looking at the trail ahead, concentrating on techy stuff or checking GPS/finding snacks in bags.
Yorlin

Post by Yorlin »

I picked up a fairly cheap Exposure Equinox in the sale, and it's been great fun to play with... in the house... :oops: If I use that on my helmet (it's got a cool wireless button you mount on the handle bar), would a joystick be good on the bars? (have an exposure rear light as well so would be easiest in terms of piles of chargers) have a brightish commuter light, but was heading down from the pentlands on friday evening just as the sun was going down and some guys were heading up with some super bright lights on bars and helmets!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Anyone else got a '14 or '15 maxx d with the touch activated back panel? mine seems ultra sensitive - it sometimes switches itself on if you hit a big bump and tends to reset itself to programme 1 when you plug it into the mains or even when removing the rubber cap off the plug...
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Chinese light but supplied by a respected UK retailer:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Torchy-BK-O1n ... Sw9r1WAGB1

Not much of a premium over buying direct from China for piece of mind regarding batteries and charger.

Take out a 6 month sub of What Mountain Bike for £23.99 and get a light with helmet mount that retails for about £50:

http://cycling.buysubscriptions.com/wmb/wmbp39/
danielgroves

Post by danielgroves »

Why wouldn't you get another Hope? Just curious as I've had one for eight or nine years with no problem.
Sorry, only just noticed this :oops:

Simply because it's been back about five times now, because the cable for the external battery is rubbish. The cable core has snapped multiple times, and it ripped out of the back of the light entirely once as well. The Exposure unit I have, and those friends have, are way better built. You can see that in the machining as soon as they come out of the box.
Adventures and Photography Blog: danielgroves.net/adventures-photography
Twitter: @danielsgroves
Instagram: @danielsgroves
Photography on Facebook: facebook.com/danielgrovesphotography
Photography on Instagram: @danielgrovesphotography
ootini

Post by ootini »

johnnystorm wrote:Chinese light but supplied by a respected UK retailer:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Torchy-BK-O1n ... Sw9r1WAGB1

Not much of a premium over buying direct from China for piece of mind regarding batteries and charger.

Take out a 6 month sub of What Mountain Bike for £23.99 and get a light with helmet mount that retails for about £50:

http://cycling.buysubscriptions.com/wmb/wmbp39/
I'm actually thinking of buying one of these. Does anyone have any reviews or advice on the above. For £20 seems very good.
lionelrik

Post by lionelrik »

Ay-up!

I've had Ay-ups for the last few years. To be honest I can have no complaints. Used em skiing and for my weekend rides. They also spent almost 6 continuous months (in all conditions) on the bikes during our ride round NZ and California. Only now I'm having a problem with the batteries due to a weakness in the cables (apparently a common problem). But I imagine if you looked after them (I can't say I'm the best at looking after gear) there's no reason they wouldn't last you any longer.
Unfortunately they don't have any retailers in the UK anymore so ordering is from Australia. Which make getting replacement batteries a PITA. All in all, a good investment, as I imagine they'll last me years (they come with numerous attachments and accessories too) but lack of UK retailer is a bummer.

Pro's. Lightweight, Battery time is good, multiple settings, bomb proof lights, very adaptable for multiple activities. Cons. Slightly bulky when you add the battery, Known battery issues, No UK retailer.
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Sorry, I know it's a tangent but it's sort of relevant.

What rear lights are people using (especially interested in usage when running a saddle bag/dry bag on the seat)?
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

What rear lights are people using (especially interested in usage when running a saddle bag/dry bag on the seat)?

A basic 4 way Cateye. Have got permanent bike mount on seatpost or just clips onto pack when covered or failing that on me.
Dont bother off road unless riding in a group saves getting shunted if I slow down or stop.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ctznsmith wrote:Sorry, I know it's a tangent but it's sort of relevant.

I've a Moon Ring http://www.evanscycles.com/products/moo ... t-ec119001. Dead small but really bright, USB rechargeable. Can fix to seatpost or handles on baggage. Usual multiplicity of modes.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

tend to put my red eye on the seat stay with a zip tie at the rear.

My more pressing issue is making room for my maxx d upfront with the bar roll on - pain in the ass hole. not even a revo will be easy if crown mounted- on a ragley TD-1 the 13litre bag takes up all the room between wheel and the bars on a kanga.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Front:
Bikepacking - Revo Mk1 on bars, Joystick Mk8 on head, piggy back battery in bag. Sinewave charger for Revo is planned for TD duties.
Racing - Race Mk10 on bars, Joystick Mk8 on head - Race Mk7 and Diablo Mk7 as spares. Spare spares a full set of Ay-ups.
Riding - Race Mk10 on bars, Diablo Mk7 on head.

Rear:
Bikepacking - Redeye.
Racing - Nowt unless required, then a Redeye Micro in my helmet light.
Riding - Exposure Flare + spare Flare.

Note on the new Diablo - the beam pattern looks like it has changed to me, it feels really diffuse and gives less depth than my Joystick by a lot. Great for fast singletrack, terrible for finding something far away on a fireroad at speed.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Interesting, was considering a Diablo, but now might go for an Axis or a Joystick. I'd rather something multi purpose as I already have a ridiculously powerful head light for downhill duties.
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Has anyone ever run a redeye on the back of their saddlepack?
(Or alternatively on a seatstay somehow)

Also has anyone ever run a redeye, revo light and a (in parallel) charging device all at once and what was the impact?
(I know my Revo sometimes fades and brightens as power is diverted to the charging device for example)
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

ctznsmith wrote:Has anyone ever run a redeye on the back of their saddlepack?
(Or alternatively on a seatstay somehow)
Yes. Works on Apidura seatpacks with some...persuasion. Being tall I can run it under my normal Wildcat bags no issue.

ctznsmith wrote:Also has anyone ever run a redeye, revo light and a (in parallel) charging device all at once and what was the impact?
(I know my Revo sometimes fades and brightens as power is diverted to the charging device for example)
Yes. You get a slighty dimmer light, or, you just run a switch and charge things during the day, power the light at night. Simples.