What bars are you using?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Teetosugars

What bars are you using?

Post by Teetosugars »

On you're ECR/ Krampus etc..

Currently running Renthals on my Krampus, but keen to try something a bit more, er, relaxed?

Any views before I drop a stupid amount on a set of Jones Bars I may hate? :oops:

Ben98

Re: What bars are you using?

Post by Ben98 »

On-one OG carbons, my perfect bars so far!
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Sorry but it's Jones H bars on my 29er+
Loop bars would also be good because of the Wildcat bag that fits in the hole.
Ask Shona for deal

Plus if you don't like then you'll be fighting buyer off selling them 2nd hand nut nearly new, so there isn't that much too lose
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

Jones all the way. I'd have them on every bike I have if I could afford them .... got them on the Jones and the Stooge. Prefer the Loops as I can mount a light upside down right at the front of the bike.
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

Cheers all!
So, how much longer stem do you need?
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Depends on your arm length.

Take your bike when you buy them and a set of allen keys
atk

Post by atk »

Teetosugars wrote:Cheers all!
Assuming you're not using something super short already, probably the same length - http://blog.jonesbikes.com/h-bars-and-stem-length/
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I didn't change stem length on either bike. I eventually reduced it on one. 710 Loops on El Mar and Spearfish. Normal and carbon. Like em a lot.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Depends on the bike and also how you use the loops as much as the bar /stem you hae now, I'd say. There's 100mm or so of fore-aft range on a loop bar so I found the place I like to hold onto for cruising with climbing and descending in mind (ie the mid, fore and aft positions) then chose a stem that put the bar in the right place for that, ie foir handling and my position. Generally 70-100mm seems to work.
The new 710 loops are a bit odd imo, there's a lot more rearward room, more than I can use since being able to use the brake lever limits my positions there, and if that longer rearward bit is in the right place to be fully useable the centre is then a bit out for me. I prefer the original 660mm(?) width and find that there's no need for more width/leverage when using this bar shape, but that probably depends on the bikes handling and personal preference etc. And you can just cut the 710s down anyway : )
All in all, worth some experimentation with cheap stems, in the end I found them to be the most comfy and handling-able bars for loaded or rigid MTBs by a long way.
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

Currently running a 70mm on my medium Krampus, which as far as reach goes, it's pretty much Spotty Dog.

Thanks again all, now just to find where to get bars from!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Thanks again all, now just to find where to get bars from!
Try Shona and Rich at Keep Pedalling or CTBM.
May the bridges you burn light your way
FLV

Post by FLV »

I've not tried the loops on my krampus yet. I'll get round to it eventually as theyre an expensive bar to be sat doing nothing.

I did use them on the el mar for a while and went to a 10mm longer stem in the end.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I don't bother changing stem length when I fit the Loops. I've overlaid my normal bars on them and my hands are in the same place - just a slightly different angle.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

ScotRoutes wrote:I don't bother changing stem length when I fit the Loops. I've overlaid my normal bars on them and my hands are in the same place - just a slightly different angle.
More or less the same as me then.
ton

Post by ton »

just put some of my loops on my fargo. those odd dropped things are a waste on me. I hate having to bend my back when doing anything strenuous. :grin:
FLV

Post by FLV »

Mine arent in use if you want a loan for a couple of weeks. Planning on re assembling the salsa with them in about 2 weeks time (busy times in the FLV household just now.)
DrMekon

Post by DrMekon »

Loop bars on my Stache. Very stable platform for dry bags, much fewer upper body aches. Just wish they weren't so heavy / carbon ones so expensive.
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

On one Mary bars for me. Waiting for someone to sell a set of Jones Loop bars at a bargain price. Don't all rush at once.
Dave42w

Post by Dave42w »

Farawayvisions wrote:On one Mary bars for me. Waiting for someone to sell a set of Jones Loop bars at a bargain price. Don't all rush at once.
Yeah like any of us with Loop bars are going to be willing to sell them ;-)
mtbmarkymark

Post by mtbmarkymark »

I've used Jones 660mm loops on my el mariachi and like them, good for long day comfort as i seem to get less shoulded ache. However i'm trying some Black Sheep Moustache bars at the moment and i really like them. Not quite as extreme as the loops. More 35° then 45 but comfy.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Are folk using Loops with suspension forks? Seems every bike I've ever seen them fitted to was rigid
DrMekon

Post by DrMekon »

I was until recently. They are great. Not just for long distance - I like them for techy stuff too.
stucowp

Post by stucowp »

I got convinced that they are worth the money, so I dropped a scary amount of money on a carbon set at 710 wide and used with rigid carbon forks and a 2.4 ardent it is the most comfortable ride only real ruff stuff rattles the hands!
Ian

Post by Ian »

ScotRoutes wrote:Are folk using Loops with suspension forks? Seems every bike I've ever seen them fitted to was rigid
I used mine with a suspension fork on the HTR, Lakeland Loop and various other things last year.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just out of interest, is there anyone aside from me who doesn't get on with Loops?
May the bridges you burn light your way