One do-it-all bike - too many options?!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

d45yth

One do-it-all bike - too many options?!

Post by d45yth »

Hi, sorry to ask this question, as I know everyone has their own ideas on these things, but...

I'm after a new bike, something better suited to putting in more miles on (plus extra gear carrying space) than the 6" full-sus I'm currently not using. The days of driving to places to go biking are over for me! I've been watching the classifieds all summer for a decent 29er hardtail - second hand, just to get more bang for my buck (still £1k+). A 29er, because I was thinking that's what will be best for longer distances. I've now been sidetracked by all I'm seeing about '+/plus'-sized tyres though!

I've been and tried a few Surly's for size (ECR and Krampus), but I'm not happy with the weight of them - a rigid bike weighing more than my current bike is just wrong. Mentioning rigid, I'd also want a suspension fork (as well as a rigid one), but I'm also aware of new hub standards coming in that can stop a lot of wheels being compatible with both! Although that might not be as bad as it sounds if you plan on using a size smaller 'plus' wheelset, as well as the next size up standard wheelset. But that's all starting to sound like too much faff, isn't it?

I've also looked at a Trek Stache. It comes with a suspension fork and can accommodate most wheel sizes. The only extra layout for now would be a rigid fork while I weigh things up. Hmm.

As I've been writing the above, I'm thinking forget plus, as I'll end up with a better second hand 29er anyway. Some I've looked at would be about 10lbs lighter than the Surly's. I should say that I'm planning on going off somewhere and bikepacking for a few months too - surely a lighter setup is better? Anyway, I'm doing my own head in and I'm going round in circles reading too many articles, reviews, trip reports, etc. If I wrote down all my thoughts on this it would become one very long essay.

I guess I need to book a few demo rides, but deep down know that n+1 really is true when it comes to bikes!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or voices of reason.
Last edited by d45yth on Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- The seasons blow away, but the love is just the same -
Gilbo71

Re: One do-it-all bike - too many options?!

Post by Gilbo71 »

Wouldn't a lighter bike be more prone to breaking? I know the Surly bikes are heavy but they are made of steel and I would guess that there is more chance of that being fixable than aluminium/titanium/carbon etc?

If you are set on a plus bike have you thought about a El Mariachi? I have mine set up at the minute with carbon forks, 29+ front and 27.5+ rear (you have to pull the alternator plates all the way out). Admittedly I haven't actually ridden it like this yet, but I have tried a 29+ ish in the rear and it gobbled up any roots, rocks etc, so I'm hoping that 27.5+ will be betterer (and the top tube less close to my balls).
Solo

Post by Solo »

Totally biased here but second hand Solaris?

There is one on ebay atm (nothing to do with me) that is on its third try at advertising so have a look.
d45yth

Post by d45yth »

I had looked into the bikes you both suggest, the Mariachi more than the Solaris, but that was just because I'd seen cheaper deals on the former. I wasn't aware that it can fit + tyres in the rear though - I'll look into that, and standover heights too. I'm tall, but with short'ish legs. Thanks.

EDIT: Gilbo - breaking frames isn't something I'm too worried about. I've had plenty of lightweight bikes before and I only weigh 10 stone myself. The only frame I've ever snapped had 6" travel!
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

There's a Stooge for £750 in the classifieds and that is definitely a do it all bike
Solo

Post by Solo »

The Cotic does take 650b+ by the way. There is a report on it in the news section of their site.

That Stooge looks great vfm too.
Gilbo71

Post by Gilbo71 »

Singular Swift or Rooster are another couple of options. Or at the other end of the spectrum you could go Jones+ or Spaceframe with 27.5+ in the back, with a fat front I can see that being lots of fun.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Surly's can be made to be light enough - my Krampus is weighing in around 27lbs which is well within reasonable levels. As for the ultimate do it all bike....

http://surlybikes.com/blog/post/wednesd ... d_hump_day

A careful build should see its weight to about 30 lbs.
But I am biased....
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

What about an Inbred 29er? I had one for ages and did some big trips on it. I ran mine with both a rigid fork and a RS Reba. It handled very well loaded to the gunwales and would have been a decent trail bike too if I had put some better wheels and tyres on it.

Edit: they also have rear rack mounts if you're planning a big trip and might need to use a rack and panniers.
I'm just going outside ...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Another biased Solaris owner here :grin:

Does it all for me: bikepacking; trail riding; Alpine downhill. Bike weight with a 1x10 drivetrain, dropper seat post and 120mm suspension forks is 12.7Kg. It should be possible to lose about 1.5Kg by using a carbon seat post and rigid forks. As Solo says it's possible to fit 650b+ wheels to it, in fact the Mk2 has been explicitly designed to give plenty of clearance to such wheels (it's also one of their build options) so it's definitely something Cotic expect the bike to be used for.

The one downside is that the frame only has one set of cage bosses.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
d45yth

Post by d45yth »

Some good suggestions! I'm still no nearer to making my mind up though. I do know I won't ever get a proper fat bike! My budget won't stretch to a Jones either. Also, if I do go plus, I'm wanting to use a double chainset (one of the reasons I looked at a Krampus Ops), so some options are out due to that, I think?
d45yth

Post by d45yth »

I'm liking the sound of the Solaris Mk2. The bottle boss thing doesn't bother me, as I be fitting a full frame bag for longer rides or I wear a rucksack for anything else.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The Solaris will take a 1x, 2x or 3x chainset, I just happened to choose a 1x setup.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
d45yth

Post by d45yth »

The chainset remark is due to clearance with plus-sized tyres, not whether it can be fitted or not - some setups can't use the lowest gears without the chain rubbing on the tyre.

Edit - Anyway, the Solaris is looking to be the top contender. I'm liking the fact it's a 29er that can take 27.5 wheels, rather than the other way round. Although, I see Cy's testing has been with 2.8" tyres, so I need to find out tyre and mud clearance for wider ones.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

If you want + rims/tyres and a double chainset then I reckon you are going to need a Boost rear end (or a fatbike 100mm crank and 177/197 rear end) for chain clearance. That's going to limit your frame choices as the former are only just becoming available. If you are short of leg, then also consider how high your saddle will be above a 29+ rear tyre and how little room might be left for a decent sized seat pack. That might limit you to B+ anyway.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Personally, I think a bike that fits and makes you grin is best.

Saying that though, if you spend your spare time in the garage weighing things (as I sometimes do) then a 29+ is unlikely to be the 'one'

For pure weight, look at a canyon carbon hardtail maybe. For comfort / proven fun and going a long way, salsa el mar (or any number of similar bikes, such as the solarais above) would do you well.

I have an el mar and its been rigid, 100mm, 120mm, rohloff, SS, 1x10, 29+ Front / 2.4 on a 45mm rear,
Its very versatile and never lets me down. I've ridden a long way ITT, toured and commuted on it. I'm a constant fiddler so it gets stripped and re built differently all the time.

My opinion would be to look for something light enough, but that you can change to suit if you fancy.

44mm head tube, fits most forks. 100mm travel by design means you can go rigid or 120 with other spec adjustments, long enough TT to allow funny bars and around 70 or 80 stem normal bars. Adjustable dropouts preferably replaceable,
d45yth

Post by d45yth »

Cheers for the headsup, Scotroutes. I vaguely remember reading about saddlebag clearance with the biggest wheels... looks like I need to get my tape out. I might just buy a retro bike instead, ignore the internet, and pretend it's 1993!
d45yth

Post by d45yth »

FLV - All good points. I've looked at a second hand carbon Niner and a few similar Cannondales, but they're out and out xc race machines - the reason I've been apprehensive is because there's not much, bar fork and tyres, that can be changed. I think you're right about having somehing to tinker with, especially if this is going to be my only bike.
Solo

Post by Solo »

d45yth wrote:Cheers for the headsup, Scotroutes. I vaguely remember reading about saddlebag clearance with the biggest wheels... looks like I need to get my tape out. I might just buy a retro bike instead, ignore the internet, and pretend it's 1993!
My winter project is getting my 1990 steel Fisher running smoothly (headset ground to a halt amongst other things) and enjoying it in single speed guise.
MussEd

Post by MussEd »

Well I have a krampus ops weighing in(unladen) at a smidge under 25lb with big tyres on, (tubeless) running 1x11 cos that's what I had left when I sold the previous frame, and no bother with saddle bags. A great bike.

My do it all? I thought it was then I accidentally bought a Salsa vaya second hand and now the two are locked in a bitter duel to the death for my affection before I sell one.
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

My surly Karate Monkey weighed 22.5lbs at its lightest, not that anymore with gears though :( i love my KM, and it fits your requirements perfectly ;)
Solo

Post by Solo »

If you do look at the Solaris - I'm not sure if this makes a difference but the mk2 is aimed at either 100 or 120 forks.
However the mk1 was for 80/100/120.
d45yth

Post by d45yth »

Thanks for all the extra suggestions. I'm still not much nearer in making a decision! I've seen the Solaris plus-sized wheel tests have been with WTB trailblazers, which are supposed way narrower than their supposed size! I'm just waiting for an email back with more info on the Solaris' clearances, etc.

I still haven't written off the Krampus Ops. I'm going back to the shop today with my saddlebag, so I can see if it's going to fit.

Depending on the outcome of the above, another option is to keep looking through the classifieds for a decent 29er. I spent a lot on my existing bike, so will end up with something more comparable buying secondhand.

I won't be buying a frame with 4130 tubes if I don't go for plus-sized wheels - I've considered Ti, but there doesn't seem to be many for sale, and you hear lots of horror stories. I had a Litespeed Obed which was the perfect size for me (med seat-tube, long toptube), the chances of finding similar in 29er flavour seem to be slim.

The search goes on!
FLV

Post by FLV »

d45yth wrote:
I won't be buying a frame with 4130 tubes if I don't go for plus-sized wheels - I've considered Ti, but there doesn't seem to be many for sale, and you hear lots of horror stories. I had a Litespeed Obed which was the perfect size for me (med seat-tube, long toptube), the chances of finding similar in 29er flavour seem to be slim.

The search goes on!
I had the same OBED. Same size. I then had a scott 29er but then had a Ti Kona raijin. It was really good but when I bought an el mariachi to use SS I ended up riding that more.
I also have a krampus ops too. Mine is nearer 28 or 29lb though.
d45yth

Post by d45yth »

This is the problem FLV, there's too much choice! Although, now I've had breakfast and woken up properly I realise I've more or less answered my own question when saying I won't be buying standard steel if not going plus... That leads me back to the Solaris! I'm going past a Salsa dealer today, too, so will have a look in there.

Edit - Did your Obed creak too?