Old School of GPS, What's the crack ?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

karlytown

Old School of GPS, What's the crack ?

Post by karlytown »

Hi All, have been out on a couple of adventures and since then have now got my kit pretty sorted. Wish I could say the same about my map reading skills !

Wondering what the form is these days. I've seen people using different things, such as printed sheets form progams like memory map. On my last "planned" trip out I tried photocopying and printing off sheets from my OS maps, but found this to be a reight ( As we say in Sheffield ) PITA ?

What systems do most people prefer, and who thinks GPS is cheating ?

If it's not Cheating, Android or dedicated handheld ?

Hints and tips appreciated
wfbroddy

Re: Old School of GPS, What's the crack ?

Post by wfbroddy »

Printed sheets as a back up and when I want to brush up on my skills, I use memory map to print as needed though I've read good things about OS maps own print as required service called "GetaMap", not used it yet as I have the memory map thingy and dedicated GPS,

that way the unit isn't a compromise and does what it was designed to do. so generally waterproof, good battery life (or able to take AA batterys etc...) good robust build, I use the Garmin 60csx GPS which is a few years old now but does everything that required of it and can now be picked up for a good price. the Etrex also get a good general review.

HTH
Roddy
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

There is no alternative from being able to read a map and use it to navigate.

A GPS can make it slightly simpler and can also make it easier to get yourself someplace from where you cannot escape if your GPS fails/breaks/runs out of battery.

I "always" use a GPS but that's with the requisite back-up and skills.

I also keep my phone dry and protected so it's there if I need it for making a phone call
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

There is no alternative from being able to read a map and use it to navigate.
I kind of agree with this, though it's not often I'll take a map on a big trip, just because they take up lots of room.

I do think that looking on a map (paper or online) before you follow a GPS is important though. It enables you to visualise where you are going. So at least you have a mental map in your head. For a complex route I might take a cue sheet, with shelter, shops, nearest villages etc.

I have in the past blindly followed someones .gpx file in an unfamiliar area, and I can say that is absolutely fine, though if a) you need to escape, or b) your GPS packs up. You will have issues.

There are those (and I know a few) who say that GPS are the devils work. Those people tend to be excellent map readers. Not many of us are though.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I have a halfway house between maps and GPS.

My GPS has my routes and I usually stick to that for nav. for backup I have my phone which I keep switched off but ensure it has offline viewranger maps on it just in case I need them. I then carry 1 sheet of paper with an overview of the whole route on.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I should also say that map reading off a GPS/phone screen is still map reading. Being able to determine gradient, features etc is still necessary, as it being able to work out a safe/quick route.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If I'm trying to follow someone elses route I use a gps ... wouldn't dream of riding HT, BB200, CL with just paper maps.

If I'm off out exploring with no particular plan I'll use paper maps ... I like the overview they offer.

Also usually have my Touch with me, which has UK off-line OS mapping on.

As Colin says, gps, phone or paper, you still require map reading / navigation skills. Electronics are certainly a help but they're not a substitute ... unless of course, you're willing to blindly follow a line without actually having a clue where you are, where you've been or where you're going :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

s8tannorm wrote:... unless of course, you're willing to blindly follow a line without actually having a clue where you are, where you've been or where you're going :wink:
Sounds like 95% of the british motoring public :lol:
Ian

Post by Ian »

Yes, as others have said, unless you blindly follow a line, you still need to be able to read a map even with a GPS.

What GPS's don't have, which paper maps do, is a legend. Understanding all the notations, colours and symbols on a map is the key (did you see what I did there ;) ) to effective map reading.

I'd recommend as a good starting point, taking a paper to a place you know really well and see who the features on the ground that you can see are represented.

The black art of contour reading is a few steps down the road, but with experience and practice it'll come eventually.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Always carry a map and read from that. My GPS only comes out when I'm completely lost (grid ref). Many times, I wish I followed a GPS route do I could stop less but it gives me the flexibility to change my route half way around
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

And why would using a GPS prevent you from altering your planned route?
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Ian wrote: The black art of contour reading
Crums, if that's black magic, that makes stuff like thermodynamics pure witchcraft :shock:
Ian

Post by Ian »

Zippy wrote:
Ian wrote: The black art of contour reading
Crums, if that's black magic, that makes stuff like thermodynamics pure witchcraft :shock:
I said art, not magic.

At least, I presume there's an art to it, otherwise you wouldn't see people pushing their bikes up 45 degree slopes on the WRT :lol:
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

If the OS map looks like a tea stain, it's steep.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

If the OS map looks like a tea stain, it's steep.

Ah but is it steep up or steep down? :lol:
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Mariner wrote:If the OS map looks like a tea stain, it's steep.

Ah but is it steep up or steep down? :lol:
Doesn't matter, one follows the other.
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

I have mountain biked for years but all so coming from the world of fell running where many races like the mountain trial require map reading and GPS is band and defiantly cheating , the route changes every year and isnt released till the day so lots of nav required . i am always slightly amazed by the reliance on GPS by the Bike Packing community.
having said that i always use my smart phone with back country navigator for bike packing as the event format or self supported time trial format is convenient this way. but still think relay good map reading is important for any outdoorsy person and im only ln my early 20s so use technology gps smart fon navigation all the time , just think it can be unreliable battery etc .
and maybe it would be cool to have some mountain trial style events for bike packing , like way points not released till the day no gps , to test more skills?
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

There are events like that. The open 5 ones incorporate running too. There are Mtb orienteering events around, not as popular as it used to be though...
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I have mountain biked for years but all so coming from the world of fell running where many races like the mountain trial require map reading and GPS is band and defiantly cheating , the route changes every year and isnt released till the day so lots of nav required . i am always slightly amazed by the reliance on GPS by the Bike Packing community.
having said that i always use my smart phone with back country navigator for bike packing as the event format or self supported time trial format is convenient this way. but still think relay good map reading is important for any outdoorsy person and im only ln my early 20s so use technology gps smart fon navigation all the time , just think it can be unreliable battery etc .
and maybe it would be cool to have some mountain trial style events for bike packing , like way points not released till the day no gps , to test more skills?

Fellrunning has its fair share of rubbish navigators. The tactic of many is follow my leader, a bit like following a GPS trail, but with the chance your leader is going the wrong way.

As for bike map reading events, for years there was the 2 day Polaris, the format of which seems to have fallen from favour.

There are still shorter bike orienteering events though.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I don't think gps is the downfall of navigation skills (yet). As mentioned earlier in the thread, you still have to be able to read a map (although maybe to a lesser degree if you're willing to follow 'the line'). If / when 'outdoor gps' become more like satnav (which may be happening with the edge) and it's all next left, second right, etc, etc, then the above will likely change.

Out of all the people I've ridden with from here, I can't think of one who couldn't read a map, plan a route or navigate without a gps or computer ... could that be an age thing perhaps?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

s8tannorm wrote:... could that be an age thing perhaps?
im not sure as a fairly young person (23) i have always been able to read a map etc , though i do have very outdoorsy parents who made sure i could (making me go orienteering when i was younger etc) . but also most of my mates are ok at navigation but i do live in Kendal and we are all climbers, mountain bikers and fell runners haha so it helps i guess. though i can think of some who would get lost even with a GPS hahahaha so not shure its really an age thing. do agree that you have to be able to read a map to get the most out of a GPS anyway.
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

Adman, George and myself are all 17, we can all read a map but choose to use GPS for speed and ease. Neither stops us getting lost, we still manage that every trip without fail!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

s8tannorm wrote:could that be an age thing perhaps?
Sort of like lack of punctuation and poor spelling?
karlytown

Post by karlytown »

This is great stuff people thank you. Yes I do need to improve my map skills, however I also probably need to curb my enthusiasm. Last time out on unfamiliar ground, I had done my homework, had checked my coordinates and scanned and printed off sections of the maps.

Then got giddy and just blindly cycled on thinking I knew my next way point and missed my turn off like a berk !

Found myself pretty damn lost. No worries ( That's the beauty of bike packing.) Just set up camp and enjoyed the beautiful countryside. Next morning, got the proper map out, turned it over and ooooh there I was !

Didn't spoil my adventure, but meant that everything took far too much time and No chance of covering any proper distance.

Good advice though and practice makes perfect

Thanks all appreciated :grin:
psling

Post by psling »

I have mountain biked for years...
...im only ln my early 20s...
Sorry (and nothing personal) but this made me chuckle :lol:

I'm a bit older and, embarrassingly, something of a luddite when it comes to gps. My enjoyment of the outdoors is to explore beyond a (loosely) planned route and grab the opportunity to pore over a full map in a cafe or at the trailside and alter my plans on the spur of the moment. Events like the WRT and the Winter Event are great for this and I end up carrying 2 or 3 full OS maps (covers removed to save weight of course!!). I'm sure that if I was wanting to do events like the BB or HT then gps is something I would need to adopt to give full reverence to the style of event.
A map sprawled over a table can provide an evening's entertainment in a way no gps could ever replace :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.