SP dynamo hub - is mine borked?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

slarge

SP dynamo hub - is mine borked?

Post by slarge »

After a little jaunt in Wales last week I have been checking my bike over and the SP dynamo hub has a tiny bit of play in the bearings (about 1mm lateral play at the wheel rim, and you can see the bearing end cap move a tiny amount). Also the hub is really notchy, turning the hub by hand it is quite difficult to turn, and feels like far more resistance than just magnets and windings. It's only done about 500 miles from new (October last year). Is this normal? I don't want to strip the hub out of the wheel, return it to wherever (Germany) only to find that it's normal.

Also, what is the turnaround time for hubs? I need it for the HTR in May....

Thanks!
ianfitz

Re: SP dynamo hub - is mine borked?

Post by ianfitz »

Where did you buy it from? I had them fail, there was no play or anything. Just no electric coming out o' it! Two now...

I got mine through 18 bikes who got in touch with the distributor (ison) and they sorted it quickly. Ison paid for the wheel rebuild too. There were no questions asked, just sorted quickly. It's one of those times when the service I got means saving a few pounds over the LBS prices just ain't worth it!

I'm looking at having a second wheel built ATM. So happen to know that ison have a big stock of pd8x hubs at the moment.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

noticed that mine was quite notchy when packing the bike ready for a flight home, put it into the fork and it felt fine, took it out and still notchy, didnt it notice when I first got the wheel

not unpacked the bike yet so no idea if its borked or not, its done about 4000 miles, of which maybe 500 plugged in, it did get submerged in water a few times in NZ but worked flawlesley when needed
slarge

Post by slarge »

Got it from Leisure Lakes in Daventry, but they didn't seem to know much about it. I can't work out whether it's normal notchy or borked notchy, but it does feel like mechanical notchiness not magnetic notchiness, if that makes sense.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

First thing I noticed about the hub was that it was notchy, bought it s/h on here, but seller confirmed it was like that from new and mine worked fine once fitted.
jameso

Post by jameso »

I can imagine it being hard to tell due to the magnetic feel at the axle but any play that goes beyond 'maybe a fraction, hard to tell at the mo' would mean a return for mine, SBs do tend to get rough before developing play and going to bits fast.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Thinking about it, my first one went back as a whole wheel and was rebuilt by them. The shop should be able to sort that for you I'd hope.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Had another look tonight and it's not right. With the wheel in the forks, and a tyre fitted etc the wheel spins, but there's a vibration through the fork legs and the wheel slows down quickly. If you turn the wheel slowly you can feel the magnets, which I am sure couldn't be done before. It'll have to go back this week.
ir_bandito

Post by ir_bandito »

Email Vic at Shutter Precision:
shutter.company@msa.hinet.net

He's always happy to help. You may need to send the hub back to him, but he'll replace the bearings and send it all back for free.
composite

Post by composite »

ir_bandito wrote:Email Vic at Shutter Precision:
shutter.company@msa.hinet.net

He's always happy to help. You may need to send the hub back to him, but he'll replace the bearings and send it all back for free.
Is that a UK/euro based "service centre"?
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

Has anyone done bearing replacement themselves? If so what bearings do you need and are there diagrams/instructions somewhere?

Mine has developed slight play and I would like to get it sorted before the HT550. I don't want to be without the wheel for a few weeks while it is sent away.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Has anyone done bearing replacement themselves? If so what bearings do you need and are there diagrams/instructions somewhere?
I don't think it's possible Tom.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

s8tannorm wrote:
I don't think it's possible Tom.

its absolutley not possible. apparently the bearing presses are huge and super powerful. i imagine they would also need to be very precise due to the power of the magnets.

If it has play in it get it back to ison or the shop you got it from.
ir_bandito

Post by ir_bandito »

Is that a UK/euro based "service centre"?
No, its Taiwan.
slarge

Post by slarge »

The guy ir-bandito recommended has been really helpful. A couple of diagnostic tests and it sounds like he is sending me a new hub. (At least, he asked for my address, maybe he just liked the way I wrote to him!)

Bearings replacement sounds like it is not in the uk at any rate.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Warranty replacement hub arrived today. Top service from SP.

Just need to get it built into a wheel now?
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

I've been in touch with Vic at SP and with Lloyd at Ison.

I'm going to need to take my wheel apart as "hubs cannot be split-open for servicing whist assembled as wheels".

I then need to send this to Ison who will exchange this for a reconditioned hub (and send my knackered hub back to SP for servicing). There will be a charge for this, but no indication of how much yet.

Bit of a pain in the arse really, but hopefully I will be able to get my wheel rebuilt in time for the HT550.
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

Update - Ison are charging £25 including freight and vat to swop the hub for a reconditioned one.
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

I now have the "reconditioned" hub. Turnaround time was very rapid from when they had the hubs in the country.

It's actually a new hub - possibly a second as there is the tiniest defect in the anodising, but has clearly never been built into a wheel.

Good work from Ison distribution getting this sorted.
composite

Post by composite »

NewRetroTom wrote:Update - Ison are charging £25 including freight and vat to swop the hub for a reconditioned one.
Just to confirm Tom.

When sending it off for a bearing replacement, they don't replace the bearings and send your one back. They send you another one that has had a bearing replacement done?

That service, including postage, costs you £25.
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

Hi Composite

That's correct - Ison hold a stock of reconditioned hubs in the UK.

The theory is that they can send you a reconditioned hub the same day they receive your knackered hub. The knackered hubs then go back to Taiwan to get reconditioned.

In practice I actually got a new hub. I guess the flow of reconditioned hubs maybe hasn't got going yet.

Yes it costs you £25 (plus the cost of sending the hub to Ison).
composite

Post by composite »

OK thanks. I have 2 now and although there is still certainly a decent amount of life left in them (not withstanding a catastrophic seal fail) it's good to know there are other options than having to ship them to Taiwan.
Javi

Post by Javi »

Mine has developed a little bit of play too after 1 month of usage and there will be no time to sort it out in time for HTR. Do you think the dynamo will last whole race?

I'll have to contact them today
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

Mine had developed some play, but didn't show any signs of failing for months - I'm sure you'll be fine.
Javi

Post by Javi »

OK, that sounds good. Hope it doesn't give me much trouble. Sorted!