Shand Bahookie "Lancia Stratos"

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Re: Shand Bahookie "Lancia Stratos"

Post by jameso »

Just had a look at the blog post about the project, a good read. I know where I'll be going for a custom bike one day.

I geeked out on the bikecad file pic .. but what I didnt see there is what this thread needs, a good side-on proportion appreciation pic :ugeek:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I'm very impressed, it's a great looking bike
Javi

Post by Javi »

Beautiful bike!!
danielgroves

Post by danielgroves »

Fantastic read Ian, a custom bike is something I've always wanted to do, and do I hope I'll get the chance to do one day.

Gorgeous website and fantastic writing too, by the way. You've just made the select few in my RSS reader.
Adventures and Photography Blog: danielgroves.net/adventures-photography
Twitter: @danielsgroves
Instagram: @danielsgroves
Photography on Facebook: facebook.com/danielgrovesphotography
Photography on Instagram: @danielgrovesphotography
Ian

Post by Ian »

Cheers chaps - really pleased with how well it's been received. As I think was evident from my write-up, we didn't really know exactly how it was going to come out - a lot owed to imagination.
danielgroves wrote:Gorgeous website and fantastic writing too, by the way. You've just made the select few in my RSS reader.
Very kind, thank you. Pressure's on now to keep up the quality posts! :smile:

The fork is nice - Shand's own spec I believe, and the tapered triangular profile makes it look a lot slimmer than some of the less attractive but much more expensive offerings from the likes of Enve. The paint does give the fork a slimmer appearance, but even bare, it's a good looking fork. 735g uncut with 15mm bolt thru axle.

As requested, here's the best side on pic I have, though possibly not square enough on be able to gauge proportions...

danielgroves

Post by danielgroves »

Just a thought… you should really submit it on here: http://www.cycleexif.com

Some truly incredible builds if you dig around on that site, too. I'm a bit of a fan of the attention of detail in this one, for example: http://www.cycleexif.com/firefly-bicycl ... oad-tourer
Adventures and Photography Blog: danielgroves.net/adventures-photography
Twitter: @danielsgroves
Instagram: @danielsgroves
Photography on Facebook: facebook.com/danielgrovesphotography
Photography on Instagram: @danielgrovesphotography
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

That's a work of art! Have you got a suspension fork/29+ front for it for doing the HT550 etc? Really really stunning :cool:
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

Ian wrote:Cheers chaps - really pleased with how well it's been received. As I think was evident from my write-up, we didn't really know exactly how it was going to come out - a lot owed to imagination.

This is the thing about a custom build. The leap of faith required especially if it's your own substantial amount of coin funding it. I guess this is where the choice of a builder with experience and previous comes into it, but what if you don't like it? :shock: Even if it is intrinsically a good bike what if you just don't bond with it or it doesn't feel like an improvement over your previous mass produced frame?
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

That's very nice Ian, enjoyed the read too. Like you said, it really is the little details that make it, and because it is custom to you, everything looks in proportion. Will it be coming to the WRT to be seen in the flesh? :cool:
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Very nice that Ian, really nice finish to it :-bd
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
flat_4

Post by flat_4 »

Staggeringly beautiful, Ian. I assume CL300 this weekend will be its proper debut? Shame I can't be there now, would have loved to have seen it!
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Wow, you even put heli-tape on the bottom of the forks. Attention to detail! And a good idea, off to do that now...
Ian

Post by Ian »

Wotsits wrote:Very nice that Ian, really nice finish to it :-bd
Cheers Jase - It'll be at the WRT :-bd (if you get there in time...)
flat_4 wrote:Staggeringly beautiful, Ian. I assume CL300 this weekend will be its proper debut? Shame I can't be there now, would have loved to have seen it!
Not this year John - fitness not where it needed to be for me to give it a good go this year. Maybe next!
mountainbaker wrote:Wow, you even put heli-tape on the bottom of the forks. Attention to detail! And a good idea, off to do that now...
Good spot :geek:
Solo

Post by Solo »

Brilliant, just brilliant and brings back memories of a model of that Lancia I had as a kid.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

jameso

Post by jameso »

Oddly I saw a rally-equipped Stratos on the M1 last weekend, don't recall seeing on on the road for a very long time, if ever? It looked really out there styling-wise. (There's a name for that effect, ie someone mentioning a song then you hear it for the first time in years?)
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

If you got a stratos (or a Hawk HF kit car) you could have the rear 'window' modified to take your bike wheel like a team sky time trial jag, but cooler....
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Mariner

Post by Mariner »

what if you just don't bond with it or it doesn't feel like an improvement over your previous mass produced frame?

Interesting turn of phrase. I am trying to bond with my new bike but its not happening not while I have the old one.
I dont know if its familiarity with the old one or changing to Jones Loop and a new Brooks at the same time on the new bike.
I am totally sold on steel frame with larger tires.

My Stratos tale.
Back in the days when the RAC actually went round Britain I was heading back down the M6 one day when the air started to vibrate and noise started to fill the car. I was passed by a works team Stratos in the outside lane traveling at warp speed and minus its rear bodywork. It was closely followed by the Lancia team support car full of people tools luggage what have you with the rear bodywork strapped on the roof and keeping up with the Stratos.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.