Lovely weather ... anyone out?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Lovely weather ... anyone out?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Well it feels like springs has sprung here ... hopefully it's the same where you are. Anyone out and making the most of it?
May the bridges you burn light your way
didnothingfatal

Re: Lovely weather ... anyone out?

Post by didnothingfatal »

More road miles going into the legs, and bedding in the new carbon wheels, so that'll just pile more pain into my aching body! :(
slugwash

Post by slugwash »

Setting off for Dartmoor just after lunch for a night under the stars. Got the fly rod strapped to the top tube so hoping to catch our supper. (Packed some John West tuna fillets in spicy Thai sauce just in case though) :)
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

didnothingfatal wrote:More road miles going into the legs, and bedding in the new carbon wheels, so that'll just pile more pain into my aching body! :(

Are you a roadie now?
didnothingfatal

flatfishy wrote:Are you a roadie now?
Roadie as in as much as I built a new bike and I'm using it as one element of my training, I'm getting better results from it than mountain biking, plus loving the speed! Still logging miles offroad though, testing setups, etc.

Body aches I haven't had day where I haven't biked or lifted in about 6 weeks, and looking at the plan won't have one until 5th June :?
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

didnothingfatal wrote:
flatfishy wrote:Are you a roadie now?
Roadie as in as much as I built a new bike and I'm using it as one element of my training, I'm getting better results from it than mountain biking, plus loving the speed! Still logging miles offroad though, testing setups, etc.

Body aches I haven't had day where I haven't biked or lifted in about 6 weeks, and looking at the plan won't have one until 5th June :?
What are you in training for?
didnothingfatal

WRT, and if things work out and I manage to get the summer off, a possible attempt at Alpine Trail 1 in Switzerland 666km east to west, but instead of doing it the regular way staying in guest houses, do it bikepacking style. But currently just enjoying riding and training and the effect it's having on the body.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Are you getting out for overnighters?
That seemed to be one of your biggest problems.
Road riding doesn't substitute loaded off road either.
didnothingfatal

The overnighter is the easy bit, really just got caught in shitty location last year and then all hell broke loose :lol: but a few have been done, several more planned, the bike has been loaded for weeks, nearly dialled in the gear setup! Few options on what to use depending on forecast, with far too much money spent on the lightest gear I can find! I'm praying for sun, the nights will be cool but the setup is the nicest for a few days in the sun. I'm currently trying to decide suspension or rigid, and if rigid which setup, original plans to single speed are going out the window as I want to put foot when I can.
Training is long miles, interval sessions at cycle track, really miserable soul destroying kettlebell drills for improving VO2, loads of core and back work with calisthenics, all combined with getting my body down to the size I was when a teenager. Experiments with crazy supplementation to keep me going, weird weigh nothing foods (hoping the new xbionic nutrition is available soon) and most nights now are spent in recovery tights with legs twitching!
Also entered a few endurance events, prior to WRT. Main thing currently is to start experimenting with ride nutrition starting in 3 weeks.
gairym

Post by gairym »

i was 'out' and am just finishing up editing a little video and write-up - will post when finished.....

am now in the Alps (weather also amazing) but unfortunately just here to babysit while the wife hits the slopes (as repayment for abandoning them to ride so often - seems a fair trade to me).
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Training for the WRT? Is there a prize this year :D

One day off in the last 6 weeks and if you have no recovery periods between now and June then your body is going to be a mess. Recouperation is how the body grows stronger, don't train too hard!

Sounds ace though, unfortunately my life this year hasn't enough time for specific training, I'm having to dip into trips at the drop of a hat.

On the plus side, it means all rides are fun rides ;)
chris n

Post by chris n »

Supposed to be out roadie-ing it up on a 200km DIY audax tomorrow, but I sliced my thumb open on a piece of glass this morning :cry: and then fainted and banged my head :oops: :roll: . Four stitches in my thumb and a headache to show for it, so I'm nursing a pint of wheat beer and watching Ride the Divide instead. :D
didnothingfatal

Anthony wrote:Training for the WRT? Is there a prize this year :D

One day off in the last 6 weeks and if you have no recovery periods between now and June then your body is going to be a mess. Recouperation is how the body grows stronger, don't train too hard!

Sounds ace though, unfortunately my life this year hasn't enough time for specific training, I'm having to dip into trips at the drop of a hat.

On the plus side, it means all rides are fun rides ;)
Technically looking at the training log, I haven't not done something with a Kettlebell in over 6 weeks, don't ride everyday, do a nice calisthenics program, and lift heavy stuff. Today is easy drill 5minutes of Kettlebell swing and push ups, which is nice and just pushes the metabolism and helps to get the heart pumping!

To be honest if I didn't currently train I'd go insane, thank god the sun is out this week ;)
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Went to the south coast with the kids yesterday. Nice walk on the cliff tops.

40 miles on the road bike this morning. Beautiful day for it...
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

Lovely ride out this morning - above the clouds in Hope valley

gairym

Post by gairym »

adjustablewench wrote:above the clouds in Hope valley
nice - i love the riding/scenery round there.

(grew up in a crappy village near rotherham and hope/edale were where i escaped to)
didnothingfatal

Taken out, didn't even stop! Came by so close, hit the grass verge and flipped, leg is messed up due to the way I landed.
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

DNF - what a bugger! Hope you are OK and the damage isn't too bad.... healing vibes!

I was expecting the same this afternoon on a road ride but I was very surprised by everyone's patience and politeness except some nobbers in a 4x4 (a bit close but not as near as your encounter by the sounds of things) and the usual boy racers in a sh1te little Corsa! They couldn't spoil a great couple of hours and the views of Snowdonia on the return leg in the evening sun were special from the top road (+300m). Sunshine and no wind - ?March?!
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

Healing vibes indeed DNF. Particularly crappy to be injured with the weather so kind at the moment.

Been making the best of the weather here. Popped over to Bristol yesterday for the Bespoked show, then rode up to Clifton & had a blast around Leigh Woods and Ashton Court. The latter was really to suss out the new surface prior to Bikefest, and quite a change it's had too.

Tomorrow is going to be great. I've taken a sneaky day off work & popping over to the Beacons for 80 miles of hills on the singlespeed. About 10k feet of climbing planned (need to get some hilly miles in the legs before the TCW ride in April). Should be a beautiful day for it. Early start though, 5am alarm, which considering the clock change will feel like 4am. Ugh. In fact, I should really get to bed...!
Mart

Post by Mart »

Trail reclamation for me this weekend.
Forestry commission trashed some favourite trails do thought I would try and get returned!
Seriously trashed and brashed as they have been thinning the forest.
Not so much Trail Pixie more like Trail Fixie

So much more to do, softly softly catchy monkey ;o)
2924 miles per Gallon
didnothingfatal

Thank god for diclofenac :) dose up, and try and figure out what training I can still do! Hopefully I'll be bak out on the weekend, still gives me a reason to rebuild the bike, and wonder why a Middleburn Duo is so tricky to setup! :?
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

Amazing weather yesterday. I was out for 9 hours & even got a bit of sunburn :oops:

More pics here and route here
DanLear

Post by DanLear »

Quick post-work ride, first time out in a while due to man-flu and general busyness.

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout ... 60qjbic28g
Ian

Post by Ian »

I've taken a sneaky day off work & popping over to the Beacons for 80 miles of hills on the singlespeed. About 10k feet of climbing planned (need to get some hilly miles in the legs before the TCW ride in April).
I have an overwhelming feeling of unpreparedness :(
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

Ian wrote:
I've taken a sneaky day off work & popping over to the Beacons for 80 miles of hills on the singlespeed. About 10k feet of climbing planned (need to get some hilly miles in the legs before the TCW ride in April).
I have an overwhelming feeling of unpreparedness :(
Oh I'm sure you'll be fine Ian. We can always delay it a bit if either of us doesn't feel up to it. Ironically, I was actually musing on the fact that this coming weekend would be a good opportunity. It's forecast to be a bit cooler, with light winds and still dry. I'm trying to persuade myself that it's a silly idea :-)