WRT 2015 non attendees - excuses and plans?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

99percentchimp

Re: WRT 2015 non attendees - excuses and plans?

Post by 99percentchimp »

s8tannorm wrote:
I'm out again! Came away with work for "about 5 days" 2 weeks ago...... :shock: hopefully the low oil price will f*ck up the work finally and I can get a life for a change.
Sorry to hear that Mark.
Thanks Stu..... it's getting a bit weary... missed several things in a row now!
I hop everyone has a right good weekend whatever the weather :-bd
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

:sad:
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Must be a bit of a whirlwind in the Oil industry I would have thought. Better luck next time :wink:
Mike

Post by Mike »

No wrt riding for me either this yr. On duty all weekend.....currently on duty for the bb event to but im trying my hardest to make arrangements for that one!!
Ill just have to get out and do some riding whilst u guys are back at work mid week :o
RayKickButts

Post by RayKickButts »

My riding partners dropped out due to injury, so I've adapted and overcome i'm now ignoring all stu's grid refs and gonna head to the coast and back in via Borth, Aber and Nant Y Arian trail centre (for breki in the cafe) then wild night on saturday on some random hill .... i don't mind the rain and i enjoy solo rides no one to moan at me than about poor nav skills and how wet it is :grin:

I'm really looking forward to it
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I like it. Nice plan. :cool:
RayKickButts

Post by RayKickButts »

Fat Bikes also love the rain and mud Rich ;-) where are you based mate can't be to far from you? I'm in Bigend :-bd
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Cardiff, though I tend to spend most of my time over your way (Afan / Glyncorrwg / Blaengarw) or up in Merthyr.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

RayKickButts wrote:My riding partners dropped out due to injury,
Ditto,

However, I have stolen the route he planned, and it does go through the Strata Florida splashes.

I was thinking of avoiding them, but then decided that it's good training to put up with wet feet :-bd

Plan is something like 50k/100k/50k, with options for Bothie or the fields depending on my mood at the time (and navigational skills!)

Weather looks a bit nippy to swim across to that island checkpoint, but we'll see :???: - probs not if I'm solo tbh.
RayKickButts

Post by RayKickButts »

Zippy make sure you go into the Abbey at SF they do a ok brew and its a pretty cool site. Only reason i'm not heading south is ive done a fair amount of that area. Some cracking bivi spots over towards Elan Valley and the lakes

Rich i'll be riding a orange 907 fat bike come and say hi mate i'll be there after 11ish i would think
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

RayKickButts wrote:Zippy make sure you go into the Abbey at SF they do a ok brew and its a pretty cool site.
Been there a few times :-bd , route goes past so may well pop in.

Suspect I shall be there around 1200, google says 5 hours if traffic is ok and I don't stop... - but hey it doesn't matter if I set off late anyway :grin:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

RayKickButts wrote:Rich i'll be riding a orange 907 fat bike come and say hi mate i'll be there after 11ish i would think
Will do. I have a thing for fat bikes anyway so I wont need much of an excuse. :-bd
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

RayKickButts wrote:Rich i'll be riding a orange 907 fat bike come and say hi mate i'll be there after 11ish i would think
I'll pack some FatBike.com stickers for you to weigh your Fat Bike down a bit more
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

Was a no-go for me as at work we only get one of the May bank holidays off, and it's always the end of month one we get. So instead I'm doing a half-Iron triathlon on Saturday, and marshalling it on the Sunday
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

Poor excuse i should MTFU. Broken hip socket in early January has wrecked all my plans of fun. Just recently getting back in the real world with a bit of steady biking, can barely walk. Think off road is out for some time yet ;-)

Missing the bear!
The old git in the yellow socks
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

numplumz wrote:Poor excuse i should MTFU. Broken hip socket in early January
I don't think any MTFU needed there at all Jack - get well soon - sounds like a long road to recovery.
Have a good weekend all :-bd
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Poor excuse i should MTFU. Broken hip socket in early January has wrecked all my plans of fun. Just recently getting back in the real world with a bit of steady biking, can barely walk. Think off road is out for some time yet ;-)
You need a recumbent trike and then you could keep Steve company on his bowl circuits.

Hope you are fixed soon Jack especially given that you were doing something kind when the crash happened
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
ootini

Post by ootini »

Up until yesterday I didn't know what WRT was, plus I ride a road bike, plus I have no idea what I'm doing.
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Well, I've bailed. Drove over yesterday and rode the Penmachno trails and then stayed in a hostel. Currently sat in a cafe in Betws y Coed. Hoping for the rain to clear a bit so I can ride Coed y brenin later. Bikepacking is no fun when it's like this...

Enjoy the event everyone. Hope it brightens up for you.
richvs

Post by richvs »

It's the first weekend back after finishing a 30 week long course away from home.
I bought in on a wing and a prayer that I'd 'get permission' to go. I did not.
DPM

Post by DPM »

Team Sidebread were also one of the bailers - having got to the start, sat in the van with the sleet and rain hitting the window, we turned tail and ran down to Rhayader with the intent of riding day 2 and 3 instead. Needless to say, after a warm night in the pub in Rhayader on Saturday night we didn't feel any more motivated to head out Sunday either.

So sorry Stu to have missed it this year due to lethargy and slackness. However seeing as we have bought the food, the maps are marked up, the bags are still packed, so we are planning a rerun on the late May Bank Holiday. I'm guessing the bothies will be quieter, the trails slightly more lonely, and the cakes certainly lacking, but at least we'll still have an adventure (weather permitting :wink: )

Well done to all the riders tougher than us :-bd