Headtorches - What do you use/recommend?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Farawayvisions

Headtorches - What do you use/recommend?

Post by Farawayvisions »

I have a headtorch, a waterproof LED that I found in Guatemala. It's Princeton Tec and a few years old now. It's excellent, the thing is, there are two of us and one unit is not enough, especially when riding in the dark. I want to be able to wear one when I'm on the bike, so not too heavy and something I can attach to the helmet.
Lightweight, not too pricey and waterproof.
What do you use or what would you guys recommend?
Cheers.
Last edited by Farawayvisions on Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan_K

Re: Headtorches - What do you use/recommend?

Post by Dan_K »

If you want something inexpensive to view the trail, I'd opt for a Cree xml torch from eBay with a helmet fitting.
If you just want a high powered head torch, Alpkit do some good ones.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I assume you'd like it to be bright enough to ride with rather than just camp duties?

If so, then maybe a Joystick + headband or possibly a Zebralight? Mike has one and I still can't believe how bright the thing is, he'll happily ride with it as his sole light source.

http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/zebralight.html
May the bridges you burn light your way
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

Alpkit gamma has been semi permanently zip tied to my commuter helmet for the last three years.
Just about bright enough as a back up bike light.
Grubby little urchin.
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

Damn! I just replied and it's gone.

So it's in addition to a proper bike light, so I can look around a bit more (check for bears in the woods) and also camp duties. Fairly cheap but not at the cost of robustness and waterproof would be good and light, my head is heavy enough. Thanks for the responses already in.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

My AK Gamma just gave up after many years use. Replaced it with an AK Viper. Still happy.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Had the same Petzl headtorch for over 10 years of relentless abuse. I cant remember the model and I dont know if its proper waterproof but its been in a few rain storms, been crushed in the bottom of panniers, been dropped and stepped on and survived ok. It will blind rabbits at 50 paces and has a nice little red light on it that is good reading in your tent without eyestrain.

PETZL. Accept no substitute*

* unless its Alpkit
I'm just going outside ...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'd like to throw a mention in for the Fenix MC10/11. It's another torch/headband affair but that just adds to the versatility, very bright, very tough, waterproof and just requires a single AA for hours of happy illumination :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Lots of torches here (including the MC10), but I've not had many headtorches as my Petzl Tactikka XP has lasted so damn long. Old tech now but very reliable, having the option of a red light is very important to me, red leds now very common but back then they weren't

I use the Petzl Zipka Plus for the dog, red filter set on flash, compact and long lasting dog marker for night walks/rides

I have 3 Petzl E+lite torches - 2 zip versions and 1 original with the headband and whistle. I really rate these. Really tiny, reliable and ridiculously light
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

Good point on the red light, always use them when we're sailing at night. I've been using the rear light for ambient light in the tent, much gentler on the eyes and keeps the night vision fairly intact too and you can still see the stars.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

My bikepacking set up is different to my walking set up

For bikepacking I use a proper torch on my head with a good output and running off an 18650 battery (possibly in addition to a bar light), and then a small head torch (E+lite). Give me a bike light and a hand light

For walking I'm more likely to use a 3AAA head torch with more slightly power and that's usually it

The Zebralights are fantastic torches but they don't have one (to my knowledge) with a white and red option. They do white lights (in cool and neutral tints), and red lights, but not one with both. If they did I'd be sold. The ones out there that I like at the moment are the Black Diamond ReVolt and the new Petzl range, I prefer an all in one light and battery pack, rather than a rear mounted battery pack

Despite all that, Alpkit is still the best budget option!
Mart

Post by Mart »

Alpkit Viper for me - dual purpose with spot or flood settings and each one has various intensities - Has taken some abuse already and still looks good
I used to be Petzl focused, but for me there was no advantage over the viper (for over double the cost)
2924 miles per Gallon
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Mart wrote:Alpkit Viper for me - dual purpose with spot or flood settings and each one has various intensities - Has taken some abuse already and still looks good
I used to be Petzl focused, but for me there was no advantage over the viper (for over double the cost)
The reason I went for the Viper was that my Diablo does the job if I want really bright when riding, and the Viper seemed to have similar battery life/weight/size to the model that's only £1.50 cheaper but not as bright!
Lughnasadh

Post by Lughnasadh »

A happy Alpkit Viper user here.