Is it ever alright to alter a trail?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

Is it ever alright to alter a trail?

Post by Ray Young »

I am miffed :x !!! In rock climbing circles you would never ever chip extra holds or alter existing holds to make climbing the route easier, it is strictly forbidden, totally taboo and just not done. In fact if you were caught doing such a heinous crime you would probably be strung up by the wotsits there and then.
Now my question is this, is it ever ok to alter trail obsticles to make the trail easier to ride? The reason I ask is because I was out on a local trail yesterday and there is a narrow culvert over a little rain gully which is about 3 feet deep either side. The top of the culvert is only 1 foot wide and has exposed roots growing over it so in the wet it is sketchy at best, but this is not all. To make it more interesting, on the approach there is a 8 inch diameter log lying at an angle right across the path and it is only a bikes length from the culvert. I clean this section about 75% of the time but now some prat has come along and removed the section of log that lies across the path. In my opinion this i just not on, just because someone doesn't have the skill to clear an obsticle does not give them the right to remove said obsticle!
OK, rant over, but what do you think?
Nick

Re: Is it ever alright to alter a trail?

Post by Nick »

I agree, I wouldn't remove/sanitise something that others can ride just because I can't.

Even when considering a bit of cutting in to make a bit of off-camber section more rideable, I then witnessed someone riding it (still not sure how), so I shrugged my shoulders, gave it a go, fell of, pushed until I could ride again.

I've even put obstacles back that have been removed. On one favorite trail in Shropshire (on Haughmond Hill) theres a trail that goes between two tree stumps, it's not at all hard, but some wallys had started to go around it, widening the trail, so I found a big rock and dragged it into the gap.

I wouldn't do that if it wasn't clearly visible/safe though (it's a techical, slow trail), on faster runs it's best not to put anything "unnatural" in where it can't be seen in time.
didnothingfatal

Post by didnothingfatal »

Am I on singletrack?
Nick

Post by Nick »

You could be, there's threads about tyres n'everything, won't someone think of the children? :D
The Boss
Site Admin

Post by The Boss »

Am I on singletrack?
No ... we'd be talking about relationship problems, designer loafers and why steel/aluminium/ti/carbon/whichever bike you own, is so much better than every other bike ;)
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

we'd be arguing about relationship problems, designer loafers......
:(