Bivvy a month 2014 thread.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Blackhound

Re: Bivvy a month 2014 thread.

Post by Blackhound »

9/9

Lost camera within 5 miles of the start so no pictures.

Rode most of way from Berwick to Derby this week. Set off from Berwick on NCN68 about lunchtime feeling a bit tired from the off. Decided to stop early and saw a track disappearing into some woods. Leaving the bike I saw a patch of green about 50m away and went to investigate and discovered an old church which was nice to set up in the doorway. The next day after breakfast I headed off to Bellingham for second breakfast and then on some nice tracks over the moors to Once Brewed for ice cream. Again I was not going well so carried onto Alston and booked into the YHA.

Next day I decided to take a rest and have an easy day and went to Appleby and from there went through Tebay and Sedburgh. I decided to go up through Garsdale and found nowhere likely to stop and went to the rail station. The station had a signalman who saw me so I could not stop there. I found an old church down the road and decided to wait there until it was dark. At 7pm a warden showed up as I was eating my red rice, grains and quinoa tea so decided I needed to move again . Got last train to the next station (Dent) and decided to go to the hostel - but that was closed. Eventually down the road I saw a gate leading under a viaduct and spent the night there.

I was struggling on these lesser hills and knew there would be a lot of walking from Settle and through the Calder Valley so decided to change plans. Next morning I did 14 miles to Settle and caught the train to Leeds and then Rotherham and picked up NCN 6 riding to Edwinstowe YHA via an ice cream stop in Rother Valley CP. This morning it was a steady 40 mile ride home past the site of my accident in July. Quite a bit of off-road between Rotherham and home was nice.
composite

Post by composite »

Glad to hear you are back riding Kevin, after the July incident. :smile:
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Thanks Neil. Really struggling though. Took a look at my Strava times from a local ride Saturday and way down on normal. Every mile seems hard at the moment. Not going to worry about it, late in the year so just try and get back steadily for next year.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Cracking 3 days out with Dave int' hills. Considering it's mid-way through September the weather was superb.

Packing up Sat morning after a spot of 'cowboy camping' Fri night.

After a proper breakfast by the sea and my second puncture of the day we headed for the mountains again.

Keep your eyes open for this bridge if you're riding the BB 200 ... it'll save you a ford crossing :wink:

Landed at Penrhos Isaf about 7.00pm, got a brew on and sat talking bollox until bed time. Early start this morning and a whole new way of getting home - smashing. Oh, and WTF leaves a set of table tennis bats at a bothy?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Looks cracking :cool:
s8tannorm wrote: Oh, and WTF leaves a set of table tennis bats at a bothy?
To help get the fire going?
Mart

Post by Mart »

Zippy wrote:Looks cracking :cool:
s8tannorm wrote: Oh, and WTF leaves a set of table tennis bats at a bothy?
To help get the fire going?
To assist helicopter and aircraft landings?
2924 miles per Gallon
composite

Post by composite »

Is that top picture on the track by last years winter bivi spot?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is that top picture on the track by last years winter bivi spot?
It is. Just about dark when we arrived, we started to look round for a decent spot then realised we were stood on the perfect one :wink:
Chew

Post by Chew »

Good to hear you're getting out again Kevin.

9/9
Plans were to head up for the Shindig, but it seemed a long way for a a weekend ride. Instead we headed out across Calderdale in search of Hills for a spot of BB200 training (we have a few) and some scouting ahead of the Winter Bivi.

Through the streets of Halifax and then up the delights of Shibden Wall and then over Odgen Moor
Colour coordinated with the heather, while flicking me the finger

Lovely dry trails at the moment as we made our way down into Oxenhope to raid the Co-Op, before heading over to one of the Pubs i was wanting to check out. After that we headed off out into the sunset to pick up the PBW back south in search of new trails, lost sheep and somewhere to stop for the night.

In the morning we leisurely packed up (after the customary lye-in) to head back south on the PBW and onto the MTL
A bit like Wales just 1/8th scale

Some new trails down to the cafe at Hardcastle Crags (how much?) before dropping down to Hebden.
Choices easy (flat) way back or the hilly way back. It was early and more hills bound as we climbed back out of Hebden up to Stoodley Pike planning to take the route back home i used for the Tdf Ride.
The wind had picked up a bit, but fortunately it was behind us as we hit the rocky moorland crossing. Unfortunately the wind caught Wenchie offguard, resulting in a fall and a tacoed front wheel. Fingers crossed you can get in sorted soon.

Cue me racing home to deploy Thunderbird 2 to the rescue.
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

It was a great trip until the wheel incident!

Edit - ooh I actually managed to post a pic the new attachment thingy - I suspect it may be a little small.

I have managed 9 this year but unfortunately didn't manage to squeeze one in during June - I have just been rubbish at writing about them. I seem to have featured as a plus one on quite a few post though :smile:
Attachments
I didn't think my lie in was that bad - i was awake before 9, and out of my bed before you (as this photographic evidence proves!)
I didn't think my lie in was that bad - i was awake before 9, and out of my bed before you (as this photographic evidence proves!)
20140914_090550.jpg (61.09 KiB) Viewed 5046 times
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

i was awake before 9
9 o'f**king-clock ... good God woman :wink:
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

Not my fault I sleep so well outside - im worse to be around indoors as I tend to wake up before 6.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Sleeping in a doorway - what is the world coming to?

http://www.blog.scotroutes.com/2014/09/ ... anges.html

composite

Post by composite »

I took a week off work with the intention of doing 4 nights out around mid Wales. I only ended up doing three nights in the end as the weather looked garbage for the last day. Fortunately I was right so avoided having to trudge home in the rain.

Full ride report and gallery here: http://www.composite-projects.co.uk/201 ... -triangle/
Video to come from this trip but probably not released until November. :wink:

First day was Newtown to Radnor forest which was a bit of an odd day for me really. I was fighting demons and had a lot on my mind. My bivi spot at Water breaks its neck was great though.

Second day I went east to Moel Prysgau bothy. It was my first time staying there and its a good one. On the way I passed through Rhayader where I stopped for lunch and climbed the devils stair case. It was a very sunny and warm day and everything was right with the world.

Third day I went north to Nant Rhys bothy. Again I had never stayed there before and I think this is probably the best appointed one I have been to as there is plenty of sleeping room in the snug. Also the burner seems to throw out a crazy amount of heat compared to the other bothies I have stayed in. Just a shame the water situation is a bit of a PITA. I stopped in Tregaron for lunch which again was very pleasant, sitting in the village square and chatting to an old boy waiting for the bus. Passed through the nature reserve just north of there as well which I think is worth another visit but this time of foot.

Forth day should have seen me heading up to Lake Vyrnwy but I decided to go home instead. I descended from the bothy past the sweet lamb crossing and up to Hafren. Stopped in at the family butchers in Caersws and picked up some rather nice lamb burgers and home made sausages. Train home was fine and I got home feeling very relaxed after a great trip.

Slacker

Post by Slacker »

Managed a Bivvy with my son on Friday 26th and very nice it was too!! This is 9th one this year so am on for the full house.
Slept in a old castle on top of a hill and weather was rather good. Anyone care to guess where it is ?? I know you all like a bit of guess where !! :-bd
Only one problem was that mine superstar freehub failed. It broke between the ratchet and cassette carrier, last one cracked in rachet area. I have decided alloy freehubs are a bit of a weak point as my Hope evo one has gone as well. Anyone else have problems ?

Anyway happy boy ,as we went to Degla afterwards for a blast on his new bike and a good feed in the cafe.
If the weather is like this in a couple of weeks I will be one happy bunny
I
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Zippy wrote:I've actually managed three in a row, and should be camping this coming weekend, which will count. Wahooo!

June - local bivvy, woke up about 3 metres further down the tiny gradient than when I started. Bit close to houses for my liking, too crowded down here.
July - Tour de France Bivvy
August - slept in my mates barn for his 30th birthday..ok it had a projector and we watched a couple of films, but it was in a barn with my sleeping bag and rollmat so that counts.
September - shall be camping at Japanese Auto Extravaganza car show, and off walking from Glenfinnen to Inverie in scotland later in september.

This sort of thing will have to do for this year :lol:
Ok, I'm on a roll. 4 months in a row now, September was Walking from Glenfinnan to Inverie, stopped in Corryhully Bothy and Sourlies Bothy on the Knoydart Peninsula.

Garmin Connect:

Day 0: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/597075021
Day 1: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/597075013
Day 2: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/597075004

Have some photos, will er get around to uploading them...

Best try and make some time in October :-W
welshwhit

Post by welshwhit »

Slacker wrote:Managed a Bivvy with my son on Friday 26th and very nice it was too!! This is 9th one this year so am on for the full house.
Slept in a old castle on top of a hill and weather was rather good. Anyone care to guess where it is ?? I know you all like a bit of guess where !! :-bd

I
Looks like Castell Dinas Bran to me!

Lovely spot!

Drew
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Slacker wrote: Slept in a old castle on top of a hill and weather was rather good. Anyone care to guess where it is ?? I know you all like a bit of guess where !!
I was unsure until you mentioned Degla :wink:
Is it the ruin above Llangollen/Worlds End?

And hats off to your lad for making it out as well, top stuff :-bd
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Slacker

Post by Slacker »

Yeah its Castle Dinas above Llangollen. Very nice spot and some good riding in the area.

We built up a new bike together, so he is very keen at the moment . Did Degla red and most of black ,he was a bit battered.
He has really come on since going full suss
DanLear

Post by DanLear »

First bikepacking trip with my 9yo boy...very proud :grin:
17 mile loop round from Burrator, via Foggintor Quarry, the Fox Tor Cafe (obvs!) and Eylesbarrow.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

There isn't a LIke button big enough for that last post!
composite

Post by composite »

Dan do you have a route that you can share, I like the look of that terrain.
Trying to broaden my horizons for next years biving. I feel I really "did" mid Wales this year and want to see some other areas.
DanLear

Post by DanLear »

No problem - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/249 ... vyLoop.gpx

Although the 3rd pic makes it all look a bit more dramatic than it is in reality, that's a really short section just coming out from Foggintor Quarry before you join the old tramway. It's really quite a sedate trip (as I didn't want to put my boy off on his first trip :lol: ), mostly on old tramways. The bit from Princetown over Eylesbarrow is a great bit of track, but really eroded now and can feel like the M5 at times.
That said, there's loads of good riding over Dartmoor, and there's plenty of options for linking up with Exmoor too. I did this (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/249 ... anEdit.gpx *) earlier in the summer, which was great over 2/3 days.

If you head down this way for a trip, give me shout!

* - Disclaimer - Not my gpx!
composite

Post by composite »

DanLear wrote:No problem - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/249 ... vyLoop.gpx

Although the 3rd pic makes it all look a bit more dramatic than it is in reality, that's a really short section just coming out from Foggintor Quarry before you join the old tramway. It's really quite a sedate trip (as I didn't want to put my boy off on his first trip :lol: ), mostly on old tramways. The bit from Princetown over Eylesbarrow is a great bit of track, but really eroded now and can feel like the M5 at times.
That said, there's loads of good riding over Dartmoor, and there's plenty of options for linking up with Exmoor too. I did this (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/249 ... anEdit.gpx *) earlier in the summer, which was great over 2/3 days.

If you head down this way for a trip, give me shout!

* - Disclaimer - Not my gpx!
Nice one, thanks. I will get in touch. Won't be for quite a few months though. :)
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Composite, if you fancy a good tour of Devon, with a night or two out, dump your car at mine and we can head off from here. could do Dartmoor, Exmoor then back to mine. Or something along those lines.