Gorilla cages now available.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Gorilla cages now available.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just had a message to tell me that Gorilla cages have landed in the UK and are now available: http://www.cyclemiles.co.uk/shop/free-p ... A3aGSjoc20 They're £19.95 and include a set of 3 Monkii cleats ... and yes, they do fit Anything cage mounts.

My initial thoughts are here: http://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.co ... rilla.html
May the bridges you burn light your way
Ben98

Re: Gorilla cages now available.

Post by Ben98 »

Could you use 2 monkey clips and just have an empty cleat at the top?
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Nice one Stu, I've been looking for a system to enable me to carry flasks on my forks and that looks perfect :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Could you use 2 monkey clips and just have an empty cleat at the top?
Yes. There's 3 fittings on the back of the cage, you can use all 3 (Anything cage style) or just use 2 ... either the top or bottom pair depending how high / low you want the cage to sit. If you've no fittings then you can also use a Monkii clip and attach it to pretty much anywhere you like.
polarcherry

Post by polarcherry »

If you wanted a cage to hold a full 1 litre naglene bottle would you go for a gorilla cage or a monkii cage????
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If you wanted a cage to hold a full 1 litre naglene bottle would you go for a gorilla cage or a monkii cage????
I'd go for the Monkii, it'll hold a 1L bottle fine.
Yorlin

Post by Yorlin »

This looks cool! :cool:

Monkii clips - I looked on the site but I'm a bit hazy on the sizing - can I attach monkii clips onto a suspension front fork, to have the gorilla cage? And if it's technically possible, is it kinda unsafe in a things-into-the-spokes kinda way? :oops:

The monkii clips are here http://www.cyclemiles.co.uk/shop/cycle- ... A4VxWRdVSY and it says 25 to 38mm tube...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Monkii clips - I looked on the site but I'm a bit hazy on the sizing - can I attach monkii clips onto a suspension front fork, to have the gorilla cage? And if it's technically possible, is it kinda unsafe in a things-into-the-spokes kinda way?

The monkii clips are here http://www.cyclemiles.co.uk/shop/cycle- ... A4VxWRdVSY and it says 25 to 38mm tube...
I did fit some to a pair of suspension forks when I first tried them out a couple of years ago ... can't remember what diameter the forks were though. As long as you don't try and carry anything too heavy then they should be fine.
Yorlin

Post by Yorlin »

Grand - thanks for that! :-bd
Mart

Post by Mart »

One guy at SSUK used these on his rigid forks to mix up cocktail ingredients inside a bottle as he raced around :)
How many other uses do they have ??
2924 miles per Gallon
jameso

Post by jameso »

Minor PSA - there's some cheap (£2 posted!) Monki cage copies on ebay. They're crap.. the fitting cleats are loose and they're made of that shiny hard plastic that looks like it'd last 5 mins. Thought it was worth a try last min as a fuel bottle holder, but no. The usual cheap ebay stuff result : )
RayKickButts

Post by RayKickButts »

woooo thanks for the heads up Stu and purely by chance i'm in Portsmouth today, just spoken to Miles and am off up to see him later today to get some for the Pugs ;-)
RayKickButts

Post by RayKickButts »

Well now proud Gorilla and monkii cage owner. Miles is a great guy took time to show me the various ways of fitting the system onto my pugs. Then i decided to pull over and have a play, set up one gorilla cage with a 2 litre water bottle in and had a bit of a ride. Very easy to fit and looks to be very well made and pretty durable. WIll be using them on a 3 dayer on 19th so they'll get a really good test in Doethie,Elan valley. Pics on my FB page if you wanna have a look