Fargo V2 Forks

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

danielgroves

Fargo V2 Forks

Post by danielgroves »

I'm thinking of switching out the forks on my On One Inbred from the carbon X-Lite 475mm forks to a set of Salsa Fargo V2s. I'm a little nervous about this though, so I'm hoping someone can give me a piece of mind. My current forks have a 15mm axle, and obviously these would be a QR axle. This has got me a little worried about flex in the fork as the last QR fork I had (RockShox Revelation, 426 if I recall correctly) would often flex enough that the tyre would rub on the inside of the fork legs on cornering.

Secondly, my plan was to get a pair of 'anything' cages at the same time, running one on each leg with either a water bottle or my MSR fuel bottle depending on what stove I am using in one, and a therm-a-rest on the other. I'm a little nervous about placing my therm-a-rest on one though, even inside a dry bag, from the perspective of it getting ripped. What do those of you who use these cages tend to keep in them? Have you had any issues?

Edit: Ohh, I presume a 51mm mount is 160mm? Also, anyone know if it is IS as it says in the text, or post mount as in the picture?
Adventures and Photography Blog: danielgroves.net/adventures-photography
Twitter: @danielsgroves
Instagram: @danielsgroves
Photography on Facebook: facebook.com/danielgrovesphotography
Photography on Instagram: @danielgrovesphotography
Brothersmith

Re: Fargo V2 Forks

Post by Brothersmith »

I have a Fargo V2. Forks will be far more rigid than any suspension fork and I had no rub issues, could even fit a Rabbit Hole and Knard combo in there. However compared to the Niner's I know have fitted they do deflect a little but if your comparing to suspension you will be amazed at the steering accuracy. I did switch to using a DT swiss RWS though which stiffened things up a little and helped reassure me the qr wasn't going to undo.

Below is pic of Anything cage with POE either 6 mat attached in yellow dry bag (water bottle on other side). Never had issues with snagging, did occasionally lose water bottle on really ruff stuff though. In end I didn't like them for gear as they would occasional prevent riding in deep ruts.

Vr 2 fork is IS

The finish by Brother Smith, on Flickr
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

You could always go for the cro-moto with the 15mm axle.

http://www.ison-distribution.com/englis ... =FKSAC9M8K
danielgroves

Post by danielgroves »

However compared to the Niner's I know have fitted they do deflect a little but if your comparing to suspension you will be amazed at the steering accuracy.
Current fork is rigid, so I know what you mean. It's only really the axle type that concerned me wight he fork itself.
I did switch to using a DT swiss RWS though which stiffened things up a little and helped reassure me the qr wasn't going to undo.
Interesting, are those ratchet based QRs then? Will look ingot hem properly before I commit to doing anything.
Below is pic of Anything cage with POE either 6 mat attached in yellow dry bag (water bottle on other side). Never had issues with snagging, did occasionally lose water bottle on really ruff stuff though. In end I didn't like them for gear as they would occasional prevent riding in deep ruts.
Thanks for that, good to know snagging shouldn't really be an issue. None of the ruts around this way (Dartmoor) are silly deep, so that should be ok.
You could always go for the cro-moto with the 15mm axle.
Looked at that, no mounts for the anything cages which is half the point in swapping forks. Thanks, though.
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

danielgroves wrote:
However compared to the Niner's I know have fitted they do deflect a little but if your comparing to suspension you will be amazed at the steering accuracy.
Current fork is rigid, so I know what you mean. It's only really the axle type that concerned me wight he fork itself.
I did switch to using a DT swiss RWS though which stiffened things up a little and helped reassure me the qr wasn't going to undo.
Interesting, are those ratchet based QRs then? Will look ingot hem properly before I commit to doing anything

Yep that's the ones, currently £15 on chain relation (I think). My Niner's are qr too and don't have an issue at all with those. It's also a damn site easer to change wheel than with 15mm, which when your tired and in the middle of no where is a bigger advantage than a slightly stiffer front end (which your unlikely to notice with all that gear on the bike throwing everything out of kilta) IMHO
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Ridden rigid forks with normal QR's for donkeys - fargo, kramp, mukluk, on-one inbred with karate monkey forks, 531 custom made 26er with ultra flexi forks - all with no bother. Avoid weedy 'lightweight' QR's and use bog standard shimano ones. Hopes are good too if you are feeling flush
danielgroves

Post by danielgroves »

Cheers gents. Just need payday now!
Mart

Post by Mart »

htrider wrote:Avoid weedy 'lightweight' QR's and use bog standard shimano ones. Hopes are good too if you are feeling flush
Ive just gone onto shimano XT QR's ones and they feel very good.
The Hope ones I had kept loosening off, despite being done up tight every time
2924 miles per Gallon
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've run Salsa Enablers for the last 3 years with no problems at all, although I do use a Gusset screw up 'QR' for a little more security. I'd second the Shimano QR suggestion ... I had a rear snap in Scotland last year, replaced with a Shimano and no more issues.
May the bridges you burn light your way