Tyres...any suggestions for BB200

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Karl

Tyres...any suggestions for BB200

Post by Karl »

I currently ride on one chunky monkey and smorgasbord but they're quite draggy. Thinking that a faster rolling tyre might be better, any suggestions? I have racing ralphs on my single speed and have previously used specialized purgatory which both seem faster rolling and probably more suited to a ITT. Any advice will be much appreciated.
Richpips

Re: Tyres...any suggestions for BB200

Post by Richpips »

I've never got these what tyre threads..

I've done MTB rides on 25mm road slick tyres when the going is good.

I rode some wide 2.4s today, they felt slow.

There is no right answer.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

There is no right answer, but if you're looking for a 29er tyre, I love my Geax Saguaros. Quite fast rolling but they corner well and slide predictably.

However, they're an utter bastard to fit first time.

Edit: I ignored the part when you said you run Ralphs on your SS. So do I, and I think they're great.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Cheers Rich and alasdair.

Its more of a passing question of what you ride and generally find comfortable. I wouldn't ride with my on ones as they are really heavy and quite draggy - great for a blast round the peaks but for anything with big miles would make it much harder.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Stu & Ian are using Race Kings & X Kings and seem to know a thing or two about the BB200. ;)
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Conti X-Kings are amazing tyres, they roll really fast on smooth stuff/road and have plenty of grip except in slimy mud. They also haven't had a single puncture in 700 miles of flinty east devon riding, unlike Schwalbe ones which got five large punctures in one ride, then went on a shelf in the shed.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Love my small block eights
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

+1 for the small block 8's.. they came as 'standard' with my bike. i bought some smorgashbords, but quickly reverted back to the 8's
slarge

Post by slarge »

I am sure tyres are a bit like shoes. Some fit you, some don't, and different ones fit different people better.

The best tyre for the BB200 could well be the one already on your bike. Or if you are looking to spend some cash, the ones you like the look of.

I like Schwalbe tyres, and usually use a Nobby Nic on the front and a Ralph on the back, set up tubeless, but I am not a downhill god, am 11 stone and like to go fast on fire roads etc. they suit me and the sort of riding I do.

Good luck choosing, there's a whole world of choice out there!
composite

Post by composite »

I'll be on smorgasbords front and back. :)
Robster

Post by Robster »

Hi, For this years WRT I had Schwalbe Land Cruiser MTB Tyres on as our route included a reasonably amount of road & the off road sections were fine. They may be heavier than some but I reckoned the central tread would help & the puncture resistance would be useful.
Certainly it was smooth on the road when pumped up hard but consequently interesting on some of the off road at speed.

Just back from an evening at Haldon in Devon, very dusty & no so good cornering but doable.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schw ... -prod24622

Good luck with the BB200 & of course Thanks to Stu & Dee for organising these events

Cheers Rob
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Conti X-King 29 x 2.4 Protection. Did use Racesport version last year, but if you ride rough stuff, the sidewalls won't last 1000 km.
The Protection version is only slightly heavier, but faaar more durable (and puncture resistant). With Conti's the important thing is to use those with Black Chili Compound.

If you're looking out for more grip up front, I can recommend the Mountain King.

For a TwoTon O'Gravel I would've gone with a X-King up front and Raceking at the back.
If you're looking out for more grip in the dirt up front, I can recommend the Mountain King.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Go for round knobbly ones. Rounder the better. If it's wet, pick bigger knobbles than if it's dry ;)
Karl

Post by Karl »

Ian I think your right. I have decided to go for round black ones, I know there are strong arguments for square and hexagon ones but I've made my decision :smile:

Sounds like a lot of people have used the conti's to good effect think I may get some and try them out.

Really want to make sure I'm best prepared to complete the BB200.