Fat Bike Help

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RayKickButts

Fat Bike Help

Post by RayKickButts »

Hi guys

Ive been lucky enough to have a bit of a windfall and would like to get me a Fat Bike

Its unlikely is gonna see a massive amount of use so i'm looking at spending around a grand, it'll be used for the odd bivi but mainly around the coast line in south wales

So far ive looked at the Surly (moonlander and Pugsley) and On one offerings

I'd appreciate feedback from anyone that's used any of the above of could point me to any other brands that may be interesting.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Fat Bike Help

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If I were in the market I'd be giving very serious consideration to the On One chassis kit @ £500 ... you could turn that into something very nice for well under a grand with some wise shopping.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Gari

Post by Gari »

I've got a pugs and really like it, very versatile and can be found used fairly regularly for the cost your looking to pay. The on one looks great value, esp given the fact you can get the non fat wheels for a song making it a 29+ too, but there seems to be lots of posts of folk replacing bearings etc after very short run times which could run the budget a little. Not everyone that has one, just enough to bear in mind.
I imagine that someone will be along shortly to disagree with everything I have just said, and tell you why xx is the way to go, but you did ask :lol:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I have a Salsa Mukluk that I'm rather happy with but it's the only fat bike that I've used, so can't really comment.

I built it myself and it was a right pain! The standards in fat bikes alter loads, do building it up was a little more costly than I imagined. I.e the front axle varies loads, the 2013 mukluk runs a 135mm hub based on a standard rear hub (for disc brake) but the 2014 spacing of the front 135mm hub for brake alignment runs as a standard mountain bike. So, my Salsa 2014 front hub didn't fit my Salsa 2013 front fork, despite both being spaced at 135mm :|

Hopefully that makes sense, in essence, if I were to get another, I'd buy standard off the shelf models for ease.

Other than that, they are really fun, capable bikes that can be used anywhere (although I feel like committing suicide on any road link ups as they're painfully slow)
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

s8tannorm wrote:If I were in the market I'd be giving very serious consideration to the On One chassis kit @ £500 ... you could turn that into something very nice for well under a grand with some wise shopping.
I've got a complete Fatty built from a frame kit in 18"/Medium that I've considering selling, easily under a grand....... :wink:

http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... tty#p34263
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'd hang around for this years Genesis Caribou (due in a few weeks). The On Ones look like good value but there have been issues with hubs (needing replacement) and the 1x10 gearing isn't enough for many folk. By the time you correct that, the Caribou seems to shade it for vfm.
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

Not much to add to what Gari, Simon and Colin have said, but the Moonlander is really too much bike unless it's what you really want/need. If it is then it's perfect, but otherwise keep with the 4" bikes.

btw, I love my Moonlander. :-bd
RayKickButts

Post by RayKickButts »

what do you mean by two much? and can there ever be such a thing :-)

I would also consider a used bike if anyone is selling

JS: we did talk about yours if you recall but frame is way to small for me, i'd need a large so 21-22"

Are there are brands to consider that i can get in the UK?
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Ah ok, no probs! :-bd
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

RayKickButts wrote:what do you mean by two much? and can there ever be such a thing :-)
If a pugsley or standard 4" fatbike is like one of these......

Then a moonlander or other 5" fatbike is like one of these......

Not the easiest thing to park at the supermarket! :lol:
RayKickButts

Post by RayKickButts »

LMAO moonlander it is then ;-)
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Not the easiest thing to park at the supermarket! :lol:[/quote]

Oh yes it is...................park it WHERE and ON what you want :lol: :lol: :lol: .
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I have a Fatty and I love it but wouldnt get another one now there are so many other better sorted bikes out there. The Genesis Caribou would also be on my list. OO make cheap functional bikes which is why I have three of them. The Fatty works really well, but after a while you find yourself shelling out for forks that dont feel like someone has slung an anchor off the front, brakes that dont need bleeding after every ride, gearing that will let you get a loaded bike up a hill or through some deep gloop, a saddle that was made for people to actually sit on, a bar/stem combo that allows you to steer the thing and gives you some feedback from the trail ..... it goes on.
I'm just going outside ...
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

TheBrownDog wrote:I have a Fatty and I love it but wouldnt get another one now there are so many other better sorted bikes out there. The Genesis Caribou would also be on my list. OO make cheap functional bikes which is why I have three of them. The Fatty works really well, but after a while you find yourself shelling out for forks that dont feel like someone has slung an anchor off the front, brakes that dont need bleeding after every ride, gearing that will let you get a loaded bike up a hill or through some deep gloop, a saddle that was made for people to actually sit on, a bar/stem combo that allows you to steer the thing and gives you some feedback from the trail ..... it goes on.
Hence you buy the frameset package! I've never bleed my BB7s. ;) While the steel forks are heavy, it's only disproportionate because the frame is alloy. I doubt making both from steel is going to liven things up. :)
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

johnnystorm wrote: I've never bleed my BB7s. ;)
They just feel like they need bleeding all the time ;)
RayKickButts

Post by RayKickButts »

i like the look of the Genesis Caribou may have to re justify the price to myself for whats going to be a occasional toy, i get out at least once a month for a over-nighter.

Have read other mediocre reviews of the OO Fatty and have been put off a little, and the chasis kit is OOS at the mo, i'd defo change the front end as they don't have the fittings for cages .... i take it from there on a kit build normal MTB parts will suffice?
Gari

Post by Gari »

For the most part yes. The BB will be 100mm rather than 68/73, if it is a square taper then standard chain set is fine, obviously if its a 2 piece then it needs to be a 100mm one. The forks need to be 135mm hub based such as the Salsa Enabler, and the hub is usually a rear with the appropriate adaptor for the callipers.
As has been mentioned already, initially trying to save money often doesn't save you anything at all in the end. As my old woodwork teacher would say " measure twice, cut once". Buy the right bits from the start is my advice.
RayKickButts

Post by RayKickButts »

Well i've gone and done it, used 2013 Surly Pugs in yellow rolling chasis with few extras , should be with me by end of month

Now to plan trip to break it in :-) V excited

Cheers Scotroutes for heads up IOU a beer ;-)
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

9:zero:7 owner here..
Love it.

RayKickButts

Post by RayKickButts »

Ok next question … Gears …. do i got three up front and 10 at back? Is there a best set up for Fat Bike … i defo aint no single speed demon and love my granny ring
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Gearing. Good question. I stuck with 1x10 on my Fatty but swapped the chainring for a 30T Raceface Narrow wide jobbie, and then stuck a 42T cog from OneUp components on the standard 11-36 10 speed Shimano cassette. It's a great set up and heaps cheaper than an SRAM groupset.
I'm just going outside ...
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

My twopenneth

It all depends on your type of riding and where you ride.

I've an Mukluk and an On One Fatty and they are 2 very different bikes.

Mukluk for longer rides and beach riding

Fatty for trails and trail centres

If riding on beaches avoid steel
If riding on rocks avoid carbon
Any classic double diamond frame Mukluk/Pug/etc ride very similar to each other, the On One and the new Ice Cream Truck are more trail orientated.

Tyres - On One Floaters amazing on all but sand, Nates amazing on mud, Larry's amazing on beaches and fire roads