Windshields for meths stoves

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

faddyvictor

Windshields for meths stoves

Post by faddyvictor »

Is it just a case of blocking as much wind as possible or is there a science to placing vent holes in strategic areas :-bd
composite

Re: Windshields for meths stoves

Post by composite »

Stu's advice to me previously was to put vent holes opposite the opening so the flame doesn't get drawn in one direction.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is it just a case of blocking as much wind as possible or is there a science to placing vent holes in strategic areas
Part science, part common sense :wink:

Centre burner or side burner? ... if side, does the pot sit directly on the stove?

Diameter of pot + diameter of stove?

Do you want to fully enclose the stove or leave a gap so you can see the stove?
May the bridges you burn light your way
faddyvictor

Post by faddyvictor »

s8tannorm wrote:
Is it just a case of blocking as much wind as possible or is there a science to placing vent holes in strategic areas
Part science, part common sense :wink:

Centre burner or side burner? ... if side, does the pot sit directly on the stove?

Diameter of pot + diameter of stove?

Do you want to fully enclose the stove or leave a gap so you can see the stove?
Centre and side burners Stu, it seems that you have started me off on a collection of meths stoves :roll:
So looks like of couple of slightly different shields to be made, one of the lads at work has knocked up some really nice pop can stoves, the small style can and they
burn really nicely, I seem to get the best results with my pot or mug on a trivet.
Have also got a vargo triad which is really sensitive to any sort of wind, not the dutch oven type I hasten to add :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

For the pop can stoves I'd suggest making something which goes round the entire stove that's 20mm bigger in diameter than your pot ... aim to have it the same height as the centre of the pot when everythings together. Punch a series of holes around the base, make them 10mm(ish) diameter and do them in pairs so you can can cut out the material between each pair and turn them into slots. Depending on the size of the windshield aim to end up with 6-8 slots about 20mm long with the bottom of the slot about 5mm from the base of the shield.

Now you need some 'exhaust' holes along the top edge, 10mm should be ok and about 15mm down from the top edge. If possible try and position them so they're offset from the intake slots ... this'll help draw the flames across the pot rather than straight up.

If you want to go mad try folding the top edge of the shield over so the gap between the top of the windshield and outside of the pot is halved and polish the inside too :wink:

I think that sorta makes sense?
May the bridges you burn light your way
mtbmarkymark

Post by mtbmarkymark »

I've got a Triad and decided to make my own windshield from a poundshop foil platter.
After much messing about i learnt the following.
for fast boil times and best fuel economy you need a wide pan. My pan is an Evernew 600ml which is 13cm in diameter
I tried it with a 11.5cm pan and this was slower and guzzled more fuel. The flame flared around the side much more easily too
If any one has any success using the Triad with a Mug ( typically 10cm diameter ) i'd love to know
After testing many different windshield diameters i settled on pan diameter + 2cm as the ideal
I tried different heights and settled on just over a 1/3 the way up the pan side when the pan is sat on the Triad.
This is handy as the windshield stores inside the pan.
I found a double row of holes formed around the bottom edge with the hole punch vital to allow enough oxygen to the flame
I also made a disk (12.5cm ) in diameter to sit under the stove. i punched holes for the feet in it so that i can push the stove into the grass for good stability
This set up will bring 500ml of water to the boil in 9.5 minutes using 14g ( 18ml approx ) of fuel. Not fast but frugal

I have subsequently bought a Caldera Cone to try with the same pan.
The Caldera is faster ( 7mins 45s ) but marginally more thirsty ( 15g / 19ml approx )
The major disadvantages of the Caldera is that u haven't figured out a good way of storing it moving ( too big for the pan ) and it is slightly heavier
so for the time being i stick with the Triad

edit : and having just read Stu's post i have a few more ideas to try
faddyvictor

Post by faddyvictor »

Thanks for the info Neil, Stu and Mark i shall retire to the laboratory :-bd