GPS Recomendations

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Scotswookie

GPS Recomendations

Post by Scotswookie »

Hello Everyone

Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent SAT NAV that i would be able to upload a GPX Map too ?

Cycling the Badger divide at end of July and i think i may need Navigation
i just bought a Mio Cyclo 200 from Ebay , which does have Maps and GPS to destination , however i have been struggling to connect this to a PC of any type to upload a Map.
If i cant get this to work , which i dont think i will as i have tried multiple machines and IOS with no joy , before i buy another one i thought i would check

I see loads of Garmins on Ebay , but which version would allow me to upload a map which in turn would give me turn by turn navigation if required

May i ask what everyone else is using ?

Thanks

G
whitestone

Re: GPS Recomendations

Post by whitestone »

I think you have some confusion in your use of terms :wink:

GPX refers to a file format for routes and tracks, you don't have GPX "maps". (There's also general confusion about "tracks" and "routes" as well - when you get a file you actually want a "track" not a "route"). A "map" is just that - a digital representation of the area you are in. A "track" is a series of points, usually marked at each bend in the desired line, that you wish to follow.

Garmin have two ranges, one cycle specific - the Edge series, and a general range - Etrex, Dakota, Oregon (they might have renamed things recently but basically if it doesn't have "Edge" in the name it's a generic device). I don't know about Wahoo devices as I've never owned one. The Edge series have in-built batteries while the generic ones use AA batteries. The Edge series can link to things like power meters and HRMs but apart from that that there's little difference. There are touch screen and button driven devices in both ranges.

Uploading a map is relatively straightforward for most devices, you've a choice between OSM mapping and Ordnance Survey maps. The former are free but might not be what you are used to. OS maps generally require a subscription but there are <cough>other sources</cough>. Some devices like the Edge 520 have limited storage for maps so you have to go to Garmin's website, pick the area that you are interested in and generate a specific map for what you want - I had the North of England and Scotland for example - but it's not a simple processs. Move along one version to the Edge 530 and it's got more storage and loading a map is just a case of copying to the relevant folder on the device. The Etrex, Oregon, etc. are similarly simple and have lots of storage, I've the UK, Ireland, France, Iceland and Finland on my Oregon!

Uploading a track/route is easy with all Garmins - for the Edge series you drop the file in "New files" and then reboot the device and it converts the file to its internal format. For the generic devices you simply copy the file to the "courses" folder. Selecting the desired track depends on the device but it's basically looking through the list of tracks on the device and pressing the OK button.

Turn by turn is tricky on all devices for off-road routes and not something I've ever relied on. Definitely works on-road but off-road you need to keep your wits about you. TbT also relies on the track being created with it in mind, not all programs will generate them.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Scotswookie

Post by Scotswookie »

Thanks Whitestone
Apologies for my terminology , fairly new to the GPS side of things , so ultimately i was wanting to upload a route to follow on the device so i dont get lost lol
the Cyclo 200 i have just bought on Ebay , i am having issues connecting to upload a route i can follow for my Trip. The GPS aspect of it works , i cycled out to Balloch yesterday , a trip have done before and the device was fairly accurate and kept my in the cycle lane , i was hoping to upload a badger divide route onto it to give me some sort of guidance.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I use a Garmin Dakota with a knock off OS mapping card. Talky toaster maps are available free to download if you don't want to go the OS route
Either a Dakota or an etrex works well - Dakotas are generally cheaper SH. Simple things and they use AA batteries - a set of Lithiums lasts 30 hrs plus on my Dakota. They don't do turn by turn, just a purple line on the map which you follow.

Edges do turn by turn but on my 530 it was so tragically crap I turned it off and just use it like my Dakota - purple line on OS mapping. One battery charge does about 20 hrs or so.

I just bought a Garmin Oregon from CeX for motorcycle navigation purposes. They seem to have a few different ones so worth keeping an eye on. Mine was £80 and it's in very good condition. I've bought 2 Dakotas from ebay for c£50.
Scotswookie

Post by Scotswookie »

fatbikephil wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:19 pm

Thanks Phil , i am going to persist with the cyclo , have a few things left to try to make it connect , but already have one eye scanning ebay if it does not work , did not even think of CeX , that is probably a better call
the line to follow is probably what i need more than anything , i just need to make sure i am going in correct direction

Thanks

G
I use a Garmin Dakota with a knock off OS mapping card. Talky toaster maps are available free to download if you don't want to go the OS route
Either a Dakota or an etrex works well - Dakotas are generally cheaper SH. Simple things and they use AA batteries - a set of Lithiums lasts 30 hrs plus on my Dakota. They don't do turn by turn, just a purple line on the map which you follow.

Edges do turn by turn but on my 530 it was so tragically crap I turned it off and just use it like my Dakota - purple line on OS mapping. One battery charge does about 20 hrs or so.

I just bought a Garmin Oregon from CeX for motorcycle navigation purposes. They seem to have a few different ones so worth keeping an eye on. Mine was £80 and it's in very good condition. I've bought 2 Dakotas from ebay for c£50.