West highland 550

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

West highland 550

Post by fatbikephil »

I developed this route a while back and it was 500 miles starting at Tyndrum. I've now re-jigged it to start at Balloch (good and regular train service from Glasgow) and added in a bit around Argyll to miss out the Trunk road schlep round Loch Fyne the 500 route used (hence it now being 550 miles). I've ridden most of it and a fair bit has appeared on various other routes so it's not really anything new.

Anyway, it's a reasonable way of spending a week or so if you fancy a decent cycle tour (ne bikepacking route :grin: ) Think of it as an old persons Highland trail!
Guaranteed no death marches and plenty of re-supply options - also ferry rides!, Sea Eagles! Red Squirrels! Lochs! Glens! Midges!

You could do a few short cuts with a bit of map appraisal. Probably do-able on a gravel bike...

I'm thinking of having a wander round it second week of June but only if the weather is half decent. I'll be using the Jones and I won't bother changing my gearing.

https://explore.osmaps.com/route/212571 ... re&type=2d

PM me with an email and I will send you the GPX direct.
Last edited by fatbikephil on Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dean

Re: West highland 550

Post by Dean »

fatbikephil wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:26 pmProbably do-able on a gravel bike...
Is it just Corrieyairack you're uncertain about regarding tyre width? I find the hairpins hard going no matter the width of the tyres.

I've never been out West into Ardnamurchan or the peninsulas, I am interested in going. But there is a lot of road (but actually probably badly beaten road) for 2.8" tyres instead of 40mm.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Dean wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:34 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:26 pmProbably do-able on a gravel bike...
Is it just Corrieyairack you're uncertain about regarding tyre width? I find the hairpins hard going no matter the width of the tyres.

I've never been out West into Ardnamurchan or the peninsulas, I am interested in going. But there is a lot of road (but actually probably badly beaten road) for 2.8" tyres instead of 40mm.
That's probably the worst bit for narrow tyres. There is a section of single track on the north side of Ardnamurchan which I've not done, and whilst it does go (I'm told) is a bit 'variable' but quite short. When I originally planned it I had a Salsa Fargo! That said I've done a fair bit of road riding on 3" Bonty XR2's and they roll fine
Dean

Post by Dean »

Bing Maps suggests that the singletrack is part gravel stalker's path, part underwater for 2km. I suppose if I wanted to save wet feet I could go by the road, there won't be heavy traffic there.

40mm tyres I can ride at almost 30km/h on heavy road and nice gravel, 2.8" can barely reach 20km/h on perfect freshly-laid tarmac. Strava doesn't know all of the surface types but it looks like it is could be 50/50. I guess the state of the forestry roads after 18 months of rain will be the deciding factor.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I have 4 days in early May, so planning to 'enthusiastically tour' the Western portion from Fort William to Tarbet. I only really know the bit around Dunoon, from the Dirt Dash, and some very midgey camping on Ardnamurchan, so keen to explore. Though if the weather looks great, I'm going hill walking.
It'll be on a rigid MTB with 2.3" tyres I reckon.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Is there a gpx as i dont have OS
Keith74

Post by Keith74 »

Looks rather good. Have cycled most of it but never the lot together so might need to find a few spare days.

If anyone is heading round it I’m not far outside Lochgilphead should you need any help or anything.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100086163783548

Stay in the banks of Loch Fyne in Argyll.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Lazarus wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:25 pm Is there a gpx as i dont have OS
*sigh* I rashly assumed the OS link would allow non OS users to download...
PM me your email John and I'll send it to you. that goes for anyone else too.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

boxelder wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:12 pm I have 4 days in early May, so planning to 'enthusiastically tour' the Western portion from Fort William to Tarbet. I only really know the bit around Dunoon, from the Dirt Dash, and some very midgey camping on Ardnamurchan, so keen to explore. Though if the weather looks great, I'm going hill walking.
Should be fine Andy. I'm hoping the current cold snap will slaughter a few billion midges :grin:
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:05 pm
boxelder wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:12 pm I have 4 days in early May, so planning to 'enthusiastically tour' the Western portion from Fort William to Tarbet. I only really know the bit around Dunoon, from the Dirt Dash, and some very midgey camping on Ardnamurchan, so keen to explore. Though if the weather looks great, I'm going hill walking.
Should be fine Andy. I'm hoping the current cold snap will slaughter a few billion midges :grin:
Well it snowed on the Buttermere fells this evening. Poor little midges........ :mrgreen:
I suspect I'll get onto Mull and want to explore the west coast - not been for 18 years
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Keith74 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:23 pm Looks rather good. Have cycled most of it but never the lot together so might need to find a few spare days.

If anyone is heading round it I’m not far outside Lochgilphead should you need any help or anything.
Well I'm pleased Phil's latest route goes nearer Moine Mhor, as I'm keen to visit. I'll keep your offer in mind Keith.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:03 pm
Lazarus wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:25 pm Is there a gpx as i dont have OS
*sigh* I rashly assumed the OS link would allow non OS users to download...
PM me your email John and I'll send it to you. that goes for anyone else too.
Would like to see the route.

You’ve probably got my email Phil, if not I’ll PM you
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Cheers Phil.

Here's a video of the section across the north coast of Ardnamurchan - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTrXPyGiay8.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
Looks a fine trail, particularly in those conditions!
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Ygm
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

fatbikephil wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:14 pm :-bd
Looks a fine trail, particularly in those conditions!
It'll be just like that next Monday though, right? Train booked to FW, for a tour round to Garelochead. Gravel bike. :-bd