One for Reg - The Slate of Tintergel

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

One for Reg - The Slate of Tintergel

Post by redefined_cycles »

Apparently the slate roofs have lasted 500 years without much maintenance (who'd have thought.. is that why it gets nicked!). The local buildings can only use slate/rock mined in the town.

Looks beautiful: south-west. Never actually made it that far via bike due to trechearous rain. Hoping Reg enjoys the little episode (Roger is really good at presenting/teaching) as it's one of their first where they explore a village/town and the workmanship therein.

https://youtu.be/1aMOFZvOEt0?si=QWpva_O2CdvchUiP
RIP

Re: One for Reg - The Slate of Tintergel

Post by RIP »

Thanks for that. Mmm, people tend to think 'North Wales' when it comes to slate, but of course it's mined/quarried in other, er, countries, too. Even if they don't count :wink: .

Talking of Tintagel, I'm pretty sure Arthur's round table was hewn from a single block of slate, but admittedly I wasn't there at the time...

Cue entertaining discussion of where the best slate comes from, where Arthur's table actually was, who indeed Arthur was.. etc etc...

I'm just off to fondle one of my little collection... I may be some time... and oh, that reminds me I just wish I'd bought that giant slate salad bowl from Gloddfa Ganol when I had the chance :sad: .
Last edited by RIP on Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

Apparently the millstones were always too cumbersome to move. Hence left put. Arthur was a fable (I never actually knew that 😆) and the mill they are staying at produced flour (I think). But the hill would have been too steep for waggons to get up.

I checked the gradient... doesn't look too bad!
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

RIP wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:24 am Cue entertaining discussion of where the best slate comes from
Clearly Ballachulish :wink:
Was impressed by the age and state of the tomb stones on Eilean Munde - the isle of the dead - when visited during a stormy kayaking trip, from which Loch Leven gave a bit of a shelter.
RIP

Post by RIP »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:07 am Arthur was a fable (I never actually knew that 😆)
Eh??? 'Course it was all true! Just ask Glastonbury! Or, er, obviously Tintagel. Or Winchester. Oh, and Caerleon because obviously Arthur was, er, Welsh. And Camelford/Camelot. Or even Eamont Bridge in Cumbria. Or Monty Python. Of course it was true!

Sadly Arthur's court died out in the end because Strange Women Lyin' In Ponds Distributin' Swords Is No System For A Basis Of Government.
Last edited by RIP on Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

I spent a night in King Arthur's cave last year that was real so by extension he must have been :???:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Ooh yes you did didn't you Kev :smile: . Definitely true then.

PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

What I want to know is if he was from Cornwall, why did he leave his seat in Scotland?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

We all know that he was from Wales and no doubt a cheery story told by the Britons to cheer themselves up as the Romans advanced ever westward.

Anyway, slate. I was told by a roofer recently that they expect Welsh slate to last around 100 years, Italian slates around 25 years and those imported from India around 5 minutes as finding a flat one can prove quite difficult leading to an early demise as they're chucked off the roof and into a skip below.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

PaulB2 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:03 pm What I want to know is if he was from Cornwall, why did he leave his seat in Scotland?
Yes. Been up that mountain lots of times when visiting my sister up in Edinburgh. What a hoax :grin: :sad:
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Sadly Arthur's court died out in the end because Strange Women Lyin' In Ponds Distributin' Swords Is No System For A Basis Of Government.
In light of recent performances I'm prepared to allow this another go.
Last edited by johnnystorm on Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:12 pm We all know that he was from Wales and no doubt a cheery story told by the Britons to cheer themselves up as the Romans cleared off as the Angles & Saxons advanced ever westward.