coffee on the go

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

voodoo_simon

coffee on the go

Post by voodoo_simon »

What do people do for coffee on overnight trips? I normally go without as I don't like instant coffee and it's not very practical to carry my espresso machine!

I have thought of making an espresso and storing it in a small container, then adding boiling when needed
Zippy

Re: coffee on the go

Post by Zippy »

Coffee bags.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

These are ok, but pretty expensive & there's the pouch to deal with afterwards. I usually just keep the sachets from the travelodge. I've bought some with milk in but they never seem to mix well.

*edit* A link might help:

http://m.cotswoldoutdoor.com/growers-cu ... colour=143
Last edited by johnnystorm on Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

I've found some of the single serving sachets to be ok, might be worth trying a couple.

Would never normally touch Starbucks, but their single serving sachet thingys are good, expensive though.
I actually do some work at the place that makes these, but they're not available in the staff shop :sad:
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

I'm tempted to give the coffee bags a go, although I had one for the first time last Saturday on a flight and it was a bit weak and rubbish despite being left to brew for a good five or six minutes. That could be down them being cheap ones on an EasyJet flight though, so I am prepared to give some decent ones a try.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Lyons ones I use. Not a patch on doing it properly, but worth it for the lack of weight. Do need to brew it a while mind. I also only drink coffee black as a rule, so dunno what they're Luke with milk.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

I just bring a small bag of proper coffee (peruvian etc etc) and boil water in my ti mug, then take it off boil, add 3 sporks of coffee, stir, and let settle, within about 3-4 minutes, the grounds settle to the bottom, and you can drink. No faffing, no extra stuff to carry.
InspiredRamblings

Post by InspiredRamblings »

So, I suspect that this is definitely not the lightest way to go but I think it may be the tastiest, and will be one bit of luxury on a long trip.

I've got an Aeropress, and a Porlex Mini Mill grinder. Amazingly, the Porlex fits inside the Aeropress, except for the handle.

Just add beans :-)
Salsa Horsethief XT (2020)
Jamis Dragonslayer (2016)

http://www.uninspiredramblings.com
jameso

Post by jameso »

One of these for coffee filters, a small bag of Milicano instant if there's less time, or just pro-plus if I'm in a rush.
Coffee sachets, choco milk and a bit of water's passable too.
jameso

Post by jameso »

mountainbaker wrote:I just bring a small bag of proper coffee (peruvian etc etc) and boil water in my ti mug, then take it off boil, add 3 sporks of coffee, stir, and let settle, within about 3-4 minutes, the grounds settle to the bottom, and you can drink. No faffing, no extra stuff to carry.
This is a good idea, like drinking green tea. Will try it. And a good reason for a quality tash.. )
Backcountrybiking

Post by Backcountrybiking »

mountainbaker wrote:I just bring a small bag of proper coffee (peruvian etc etc) and boil water in my ti mug, then take it off boil, add 3 sporks of coffee, stir, and let settle, within about 3-4 minutes, the grounds settle to the bottom, and you can drink. No faffing, no extra stuff to carry.
Ditto, Google 'cowboy coffee'
http://www.backcountrybiking.co.uk
UK distributor of Revelate designs gear, Alpacka rafts and Force ten tents and provider of bikepacking and packrafting skills training courses and adventures and Packraft hire
Mart

Post by Mart »

I've done 'Cowboy Coffee' whislt in the woods in Finland. Works pretty well
The only problem I find is If drink any of the grains (makes my tum poorly big time)
Hince I now prefer Coffee bags or a filter paper system (will do instant at a push, depending on where I am)

If only there was a way of filtering the grains as you drink - maybe something like a little gauze filter that clips onto the mug
Just got to figure out how to ....
2924 miles per Gallon
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

jameso wrote:This is a good idea, like drinking green tea. Will try it. And a good reason for a quality tash.. )
Tash = filter, great idea. Wonder if I can convince the wife I need a large "filter" when I do TD next year! :grin:
Gari

Post by Gari »

Biff Boff, job done. one of my "wings" has broken but still works fine. Sits in the mug so doesn't even get in the way.... :-bd
http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/cookw ... er/product
jameso

Post by jameso »

Would it work for coffee?
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

That msr filter looks like the best option, I've been on the lookout for something like that. Most mugs that have a built in filter force you to make the brew and then plunge (making the brew stronger and stronger) , but that msr looks the reverse of it :smile:

Some other good options to try out now, cheers everyone
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

See MYOG.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I've tried a few instants, and the best by far is Starbucks VIA, despite being quite expensive for what it is. It's far better than Nescafé and is the closest thing to real coffee but without the weight.

I also have a Smartcafe cafetiere mug which while heavier doubles up as a mug so the weight penalty isn't too bad, and it's very well insulated.
jameso

Post by jameso »

AlasdairMc wrote:I've tried a few instants, and the best by far is Starbucks VIA, despite being quite expensive for what it is. It's far better than Nescafé and is the closest thing to real coffee but without the weight.

I also have a Smartcafe cafetiere mug which while heavier doubles up as a mug so the weight penalty isn't too bad, and it's very well insulated.
Is VIA the stuff that comes in a small tin? Someone brought that along on a trip a while ago, good stuff, had forgotten what it was but pretty sure it was starbucks now.
And you reminded me, I have a smartcafe mug, light and it fits a bottle cage perfectly, not used it yet though. Saw one in TK Maxx the other week. This one, rather than the more mug-shaped version -