Iceland

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

SteveM

Iceland

Post by SteveM »

I'm thinking that August would be a good time to go, and with cheap flights from Manchester on a daily basis it seems now (this year) is the time to go, I'm thinking that I could just turn up at the airport, build my bike and set off, do my standard 2 nights sleeping outside 1 night inside routine.

Does anyone know if this is realistic ?, or would I have to be more organised ?

thanks in advance for any info :-)
Dan_K

Re: Iceland

Post by Dan_K »

Yes but I'd imagine you'd want to get transferred from the airport to somewhere decent to ride.
We were hiking but I think it is just lava field around the airport.
Chew

Post by Chew »

I spent a fair amount of time talking to someone who had been touring there a number of times. Think it depends on what you want to do vs how much planning.

I believe Iceland is a lot bigger than you may initially think. All of the population is on the edges and theres not much civilisation once you head inland, so if you are thinking of a trip across the middle you'll need to be prepaired (it'll be worth it). Also when its windy, its very windy and nowhere to hide with there being no trees on the island.
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

The nearest camp site is just a 5 minute ride away from Keflavik airport

http://alex.is/home/

You are about 25km from Reykjavik along Route 41. For true Icelandic interior excitement, I would head out of Reykjavik towards Pingvellir (Oldest Parliament in the world) then on to Geysir and Gulfoss. From here you can take the F35 across the interior North and come out on the main ring road (Route 1) just East of Blonduos. Then head East to Akureyri (Iceland's 2nd city). There are lots of transport links available from here. It's worth checking out Dettifoss, Skogafoss, and Jokulsarlon.

Distances are big, and take an age to cover by bike. When I go again, I may try to link up some significant sites with bus journeys to cover more of the island.

I have been 3 times and one thing is for sure, it's an amazing country that may well capture your soul...

I found a good blog on the Salsa site the other day: http://salsacycles.com/culture/guest_bl ... in_iceland

Si
Last edited by darbeze on Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

thanks all, ordering a map right now :-)
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Dan_K wrote:Yes but I'd imagine you'd want to get transferred from the airport to somewhere decent to ride.
We were hiking but I think it is just lava field around the airport.
Seconded, it's a great place, the wife and I went for a long weekend several years ago and loved it, but the international airport is a bit out of the way.

I'd find transport to the furthest point and ride back to the airport calling in at the Blue Lagoon for a few hours for a bit of R&R after your ride.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Iceland feature on Salsa's page too:

http://salsacycles.com/adventures/touring

SWMBO has been and really enjoyed it, not made it myself yet.... :roll:
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Steve, I've fancied a trip there too this year (wanted to go for years).... this looked good - bikepacking the classic Lagaveur trek http://bikeisthenewblack.blogspot.co.uk ... ar-to.html.
Will check out the cheap Manchester flights too (who're they with?)
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

99percentchimp wrote:Steve, I've fancied a trip there too this year (wanted to go for years).... this looked good - bikepacking the classic Lagaveur trek http://bikeisthenewblack.blogspot.co.uk ... ar-to.html.
Will check out the cheap Manchester flights too (who're they with?)
Nice memories, that's the trail we hiked. Shame that they weren't interested enough to learn that it's the Laugavegur trail :wink:
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

:oops: I bought the Cicerone guide and maps too :oops: should have known better!
The blog did suggest it will be possible to bike a fair bit of the interior trails without too much hassle (other than hike-a-bike and grinding paste volcanic sediment in everyhting) which I thought was interesting.
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

99percentchimp wrote::oops: I bought the Cicerone guide and maps too :oops: should have known better!
The blog did suggest it will be possible to bike a fair bit of the interior trails without too much hassle (other than hike-a-bike and grinding paste volcanic sediment in everyhting) which I thought was interesting.
We didn't see anyone on a mtb the whole time we were there so I'm not sure of the "legalities" of riding trails and this route in particular.
It is a beautiful route and well worth the effort. There would be some hike a bike and some steep flinty descents.
Campsites are around 8-10 miles apart so there are plenty of options. I wouldn't bother wild camping on the trail as the sites are only £7 and have showers.
Bus travel is very easy and although you can book in advance, there's no need as the pricing is fixed.
We opted for the hiking bus passport which was a hop on/off service. It was with Reykjavik excursions who operate the flybus service too.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

good stuff this, thanks folks
Ian

Post by Ian »

Beth and I went way back in 1999. We took an internal flight to Akureyri and toured back via the NW to Reykjavik. Biking in the north would be good from what I've seen.

Talked to Aidan about it last week as he was planning something. I would love to take the Puffin and ride across the interior.
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

I'd love to go back with a bike. Hiking was good and I think we chose a good route but barely scratched the surface. Was good for a taste of what's on offer.
It really is geared up for tourism though to the point where you can just arrive in Reykjavik and do whatever you fancy. The campsite in Reykjavik is a great base to dump gear. Again, I think it was only £7ish a night and had good facilities next door to a great thermal swimming complex. The bus company do a daily pickup at 7.30am that takes you to the central bus station although it is only a short cycle.
Gari

Post by Gari »

Havering about my trip to Morocco now...... 2 shorter trips rather than 1 long one?
Mike

Post by Mike »

do folk have to put ideas into my head now ve been looking into flights hostels and a route! Looking good for a 10 day march trip or april trip.
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

Funny Yetiman, similarly re-visiting long ago dreams to visit here too, never considered bike packing before. :grin:
The old git in the yellow socks
Mike

Post by Mike »

Im trying to look at a similar option to Ian and beths trip, getting to Akureyri then riding back to Reyk, ill only have ten days but direct on the main rd its about 330miles ish. so looking to extend it by another 200 or so. The camosite in reyk looks great but not open till may. Found a great backpackers hostel in Akureyri also. Then probably wildcamp the rest, just need to look at flights
Ian

Post by Ian »

We went early May too - not much open at that time, especially in the North, and there's usually a lot of snow then too though not so much the year we went.
We camped on a site near Lake Myvatn (pronounced My-var, the -tn part is actually silent), which was the only open one we found. Also wild-camped at Thingvellir, which is the original site for their Parliament in the 11th century, neatly positioned on the expanse created where the north American and European tectonic plates part. Oxararfoss was pretty dramatic. :cool:

Mike

Post by Mike »

that looks amazing Ian! oh do you think id be better going in june then when im off rather than april....strange coz the flights are cheaper in june. £198 inc the bike
composite

Post by composite »

As if anyone needed any more inspiration. https://vimeo.com/search?q=iceland+bike Looks great.
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Most routes across the interior do not open until the end of June. 4x4 road names are always prefixed with an F. You would be limited to staying on the main, tarmacced roads if you go before then.

The site to check on road conditions is: http://www.vegagerdin.is/english/road-c ... d-weather/

Have checked flight costs and bus passports now.... Tempting me.

Si
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Mike

Post by Mike »

Looking like JUNE for me then now i have twelves days off at the start so plenty of time to plan, will just have to do Scotland in April now :wink:
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

So, been thinking a bit more about this, looking into flights etc, the idea that the flights are cheap has been disproved, cheapest I can see is around £300 return (Easyjet with bike) and then all the way upto £1000 !.

Not all have flexible returns, and most seem to fly in the opposite direction :-/ making for a long journey..

Still kind of tempted to just pitch up with bike and bags and see what happens though :-)