Whatever floats your boat...

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Whatever floats your boat...

Post by RIP »

... in this case a canal.

........................................................................BargePacking(TM)...................................................................

No.23 in the RegPacking(TM) series of hare-brained escapades. Also see No.12 GigPacking(TM), No.17 ShedPacking(TM), No.20 GravePacking(TM) etc etc etc.

Fancied something a bit more interesting for my March BaM than just nipping up to the woods again, but didn't want to go too far either. Andy Roobell7 lives up in Northamptonshire so I dropped him a message wondering if I might pop up to see him at his barge home. He's sometimes away maintaining a Nigerian prince's private plane (sorry if I've got that a bit wrong Andy :smile: ), and of course his barge could be more or less anywhere, so it was all a bit hit and miss. Luckily he was "at home" and parked up at Braunston marina, and kindly agreed to meet me on Monday afternoon near Long Buckby which is a just a few stations up the railway from me.

I arrived early afternoon and met Andy at the salubrious location of a bridleway bridge over the M1, and from there we enjoyed a nice towpath ride down to Norton Junction where the Leicester, Birmingham and London routes join up.

Turning off the towpath we headed across various fields and tracks to arrive at the Heart Of The Shires Shopping Village. "Shopping village" are words that would usually strike fear into the hearts of brave (married) men. Luckily no females of the species were accompanying us today so we managed to get away with just a coffee and a cake. Three waitresses arrived at our table at the same time which confused things a bit, and I expected to end up with three cups of coffee and three bits of cake. Everything got sorted out and I received the requested cappucino ("lots of chocolate on top please. If you can see the coffee there's not enough chocolate on it") and carrot cake and Andy had coffee and lemon cake.

The "village" bit felt like a sort of strange science-fiction film set, but it did have a shop called Ro[o]bell

Suitably refreshed we headed towards Daventry, with the drizzle settling in gently (rainy drizzle, not lemon drizzle...). I love a good ford, and Andy suggested I tried the one at Dodford. It's one of the rarer type, which enter the water, but follow it for a while before emerging some distance downstream. I was very tempted but glad I didn't because it quickly became over a foot deep with steep sides, and I didn't fancy a new set of wheel bearings again thank you.

We rode past the site of Daventry transmitting station, which broadcast from over 40 masts spread over hundreds of acres. Sadly only one is left now, but the support cable bases are dotted across all the fields. In 1923, the BBC's chief engineer deduced that it would be possible to provide a broadcast service to most of the UK using a single high-power long-wave transmitter located in central England. This 50-acre site on Borough Hill was chosen and T-aerial was suspended between two masts, each 500 feet high. It was also here that "The Daventry Experiment" was demonstrated by Robert Watson Watt & Arnold Wilkins in 1935 who showed that the detection of aircraft by radio means was possible. The government then funded "Radio Direction Finding" before it was named, of course, "RADAR" later in WW2.

A quick tour of various Daventry industrial estates followed, particularly to pick up some bits for Andy's barge at Screwfix. Scenery? Pah, overrated :smile: .

As dusk drew in we headed across the fields to the canal, sampling that well-known "Northamptonshire Gloop" which is a speciality of the area. It's an amusing mixture of glutinous clay and cow slurry, which immediately adheres to every part of your bike and body.

After dropping the bikes off at the barge at Braunston, we headed straight to the pub for a few jars and a nice dinner. Andy offered me the fold-out bed to sleep on, but I took the hardcore option of the barge floor.

While Andy enjoyed his full English for breakfast next morning I thought it was only fair to have my usual porridge if I was counting this as a BaM, so I brewed it up on the foredeck.

With the bikes clamped down to the foredeck we headed off towards Crick where Andy needed to moor up for the next few days. There are three locks at Braunston which are then followed by the mile long Braunston tunnel, so there was plenty to enjoy on the route.

After the tunnel Andy foolishly offered to let me have a "drive" while he spent some time doing his day job in the cabin. Back we went past Norton Junction, to arrive at the interesting Watford flight of locks. These are of a "staircase" design rather than the more common single pound design. One has to be very careful to operate them in the correct way or you risk being marooned half way up with no water left to go either up or down. Quite what you do if that happens would be amusing to find out. Wait for it to rain or call a bloke with a giant crane presumably. Piloting the barge carefully between the first lock and the staircase entrance, I was rather chuffed that the lock keeper told me that it was the best bit of maneouvering he'd seen for a while, although I bet he says that to everyone. Anyway, we emerged at the top with no damage, and proceeded to moor up near Crick.

From there I bade my farewells to Andy and headed back to Long Buckby station and home. It only remains to thank Andy very much for his hospitality and barge-skippering opportunity; I had a fantastic couple of days thanks mate! :-bd
Last edited by RIP on Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Lazarus

Re: Whatever floats your boat...

Post by Lazarus »

Do boats really count as a BAM*?
If they do I did one on Saturday as he is not the only boat dweller on here [ and i rode there ]
* already done one this month and doing another at the weekend so dont need it

Is the boat a full trad or semi ?
Cannot tell from the pictures- miss mine but dont really fancy sharing that limited a space with two kids
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yep, all Rules obeyed :smile: .

Well it was a nice craft, 58 footer or whatever they are, although of a modern internal style rather than 'trad' so no yellow/red/green painted pots and buckets and whatnot :smile: . I'd better stop there and let Andy speak for himself.

With kids? Well why not I guess, they're very adaptable. Even if us parents aren't :smile: . Then again one week's family hols on the Llangollen was plenty enough for me to get the general gist thank you :wink: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

My eldest was born on a boat ( well taken home to it ) too little space for a family without a widebeam

Olden days they all lived in a boatsmans cabin...god knows how.
RIP

Post by RIP »

https://braunstonmarina.co.uk/length-style/

Ah I see, 'trad' ... well the stern counter only had room for one person, so 'modern trad'?

RIP

Post by RIP »

Lazarus wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:13 pm My eldest was born on a boat ( well taken home to it ) too little space for a family without a widebeam

Interesting :smile:

Andy mentioned that the image we all have of the whole 'canal family' living and working on their boat was actually quite a recent thing - 1920s onwards? I found that interesting, but haven't really looked further into it. Must investigate a bit more....

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Knew a guy who re created one with an internal engine etc.

Incredible use of space to be fair but by heck it would be cramped
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Lazarus wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:13 pm
Given that the whole family lived in that tiny space, I’ve often wondered how the family ever grew beyond that first child. Think of having to do “it” with all those ears listening…
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Couple more pics from Andy

RIP

Post by RIP »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:06 pm Think of having to do “it” with all those ears listening…
Maybe that's where the phrase "don't rock the boat" comes from :smile: .

Perhaps they waited until there was a thunderstorm or something....

Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Great trip and write up :-bd
Verena

Post by Verena »

Looks great couple of days, that mud though :shock:
Roobell7

Post by Roobell7 »

A great write-up by RIP

Other than a thank you for the opportunity to show off West Northants springtime delights. It was a pleasure to host you on NB Duke
Lazarus wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:40 pm Do boats really count as a BAM*?
I did offer the use of the Tug Deck as well as the bed :grin:
Verena wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:52 pm Looks great couple of days, that mud though :shock:
I saved some of the best West Northants mud for another visit. This was all ridable :|

There are seven locks out of Braunston but Reg may only recall the three he operated :lol: The rest he had the easy option of steering the boat :wink:
He claims the last time he'd set foot on a narrowboat was when he was a teenager. Something I found hard to believe given how well he handled it. The Lockie at Watford noted how well he maneuvered into the narrow locks without bouncing off the walls :-bd

A few more pictures

Cheers, Andy
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

That's ace
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams