Hub recommendations?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Teaman

Hub recommendations?

Post by Teaman »

choice recommendations?
I might be getting a new rear wheel built up and although I’ve only had SRAM on my MTBs to date, any good recommendations for hubs? Not sure what the pros and cons are of SRAM, Shimano HD or microspline.
I’m being told Shimano do good value hubs with cup and cone bearings. If going SRAM, Bitex hubs being recommended.
(It’s to replace a love mid hobo wheel).

@@@I hate loud freehub noises so the quieter the better for me 👍 @@@

Wheel will be used for off road bike packing/touring and will need to be strong for a typical tyre size of approx 29x 2.2-2.5.

Rim? My front wheel was built using a Kinlin TL29 with 32h and Sapim Force spokes with brass nipples. It’s stood up very well and seems to be an excellent wheel which has a Son hub. Thinking of going for the same rim.

Any comments/experience welcome.
Bearlegged

Re: Hub recommendations?

Post by Bearlegged »

Freehub styles:
*XD - works with SRAM and other aftermarket manufacturers XD Cassettes, in speeds 10-12. Allows a 10T small sprocket.
*Microspline - Shimano 12 speed only (I'm yet to see any other aftermarket manufacturers). Allows a 10T small sprocket.
*HG - a variety of Shimano, SRAM and other aftermarket manufacturers, in speeds 7-12 (some may require spacers). Allows an 11T small sprocket.

So, it depends rather on what kit you want to add to it. FWIW, I run Shimano chain and cassette with a SRAM AXS mech.

Hubs, Shimano cup and cone bearing are OK if you are happy to perform regular maintenance on them (or pay someone else to do so).
For off road use, I'd suggest something with sealed cartridge bearings. Bitex are probably a good shout here, regardless of what freehub you go for. DT Swiss are another popular option. Personally, I use Hope, but ALLL THE FREEHUB NOISE will probably put you off.

Rims, I've been running TL29s for a while now, I like them.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

DT swiss are quiet - even the non ratchet version is nowhere near as noisy as a hope
Hunt are not that loud
Not had a recent shimano hub but none of the ones I have are loud
Easton also not a loud hub but not sure if it can be had stand alone.

Also a hater of Hope noise.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Lazarus wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:27 pm Hunt are not that loud
My Hunt road wheels are embarrassingly loud, louder than any Hopes I've had.

Go for DT350 or 240 if you've got the cash; silent and robust even if you never touch them.
Teaman

Post by Teaman »

Thanks for your replies so far which are appreciated. Will update here once I’ve decided what to go for 👍
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

. My Hunt road wheels are embarrassingly loud, louder than any Hopes I've had
Guess they have changed but no idea on age of mine as it was from a mate ( it's not silent but it's not loud and nothing like a hope)so likely old ish
substandard

Post by substandard »

Hunt are just rebranded novatec or powerway depending on the model. -not that there’s anything wrong with novatec, I just wouldn’t personally pay the additional ££ they charge for 4 engraved letters.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Dyffers wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:54 pm
Lazarus wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:27 pm Hunt are not that loud
My Hunt road wheels are embarrassingly loud, louder than any Hopes I've had.

Go for DT350 or 240 if you've got the cash; silent and robust even if you never touch them.
I concur. Don’t need a bell anymore
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Polisherman

Post by Polisherman »

DT Swiss.
Reliable and easy to home service
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Hope + a bit more grease, FTW, as the kidz say :grin: