Marrying a Revelate Spinelock to superlight carbon rails!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Marrying a Revelate Spinelock to superlight carbon rails!

Post by redefined_cycles »

Anyone got any tips on how to avoid disappointment (other than not to do it at all). I'm just stuck with a saddle that's amazingly comfy and needing to put the saddlepack on it. Previously have popped the harsh Shimano saddle on just to get the bag on, but it's an uncomfy saddle.

Also thought about buying another saddle but then I'm back choosing a comfy saddle. Brooks cambium has been tried but the shape of the rails won't fit the Spineloc adaptor.

Here is the saddle and bag

https://backcountry.scot/product/revela ... elock-16l/
https://www.berk-composites.com/product ... ed-saddle/

Not trying to be a weight weenie, honest (90g in case anyone wondered :grin: ).
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Marrying a Revelate Spinelock to superlight carbon rails!

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Superlight carbon rails + saddlebag = certain and painful death.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Superlight carbon rails + saddlebag = certain and painful death.
Thanks Stu. I'd thought so too and hence stayed away... I'll continue to look at ebay for something with ti rails and a comfy saddle.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Can you fashion something for the saddlebag straps that attaches to the seatpost and never touches the saddle rails?

For instance there's loads of different designs of seatclamps with rack mounts built in that you could add with a rubber shim at the top of the post? Then screw a couple of 'bars' into that?

Or perhaps use one of the front bag bag mounting parts on the seatpost?

I ride carbon-railed Toupe saddles and I've just wrapped my rails in helitape to stop rubbing, but I appreciate a 180g £60 secondhand saddle is a different beast to a 90g £250 saddle. :shock:

EDIT: have bothered to look at how the spinelock fits now...get yourself another bag with some simple straps. :lol:
Last edited by Dyffers on Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

INSHALLAH
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

If the saddle rails are strong enough to support a rider I would have thought that the added weight of a saddle bag shouldn't over stress them as long as the combined weight of rider + bag is within the max weight stated for the saddle (if there is one). My main fear would be the straps quickly sawing through the carbon rails when swaying with a bit of grit present. Perhaps if you could protect the rails with helicopter tape you'd be ok. But like the others I'd be twmpted to find something with burlier rails.
redefined_cycles

If the saddle rails are strong enough to support a rider I would have thought that the added weight of a saddle bag shouldn't over stress them as long as the combined weight of rider + bag is within the max weight stated for the saddle (if there is one). My main fear would be the straps quickly sawing through the carbon rails when swaying with a bit of grit present. Perhaps if you could protect the rails with helicopter tape you'd be ok. But like the others I'd be twmpted to find something with burlier rails.
Yes. This is kinda what I was thinking eventually and why I thought I'd ask the question. Regards the rails being worn through with the straps, it can't happen as the clamp is locked to the rails and the bag is clicked into the clamp.

The locking mechanism of the clamp being the main problem as it is locking the rails in a kind of jaw grip with a tooth missing - 2 grips on one side and just one on the other opposing side - so too much stress and like Stu said, rails would probably snap :o

I think a second saddle is probably the best way forward in this instance I guess. That saddle can maybe go on the mtb (as I don't plan to use a bag).

Oh, and Dyffers... It may have been expensive (I think about £200 after discount) but the customer service and care is second to none. Broke my first rails (cos I had a little McEnroe moment on the bike - just the once) with a tiny fracture or two... Told Berk what had happened (in a round about way, but that I'd had accident damage) and got sent out a spare saddle from the test-rides inventory for next to nothing (relatively).

So now lal am the happy owner of 2 Berk saddles :grin:
redefined_cycles

Going back to a standard saddlebag though... doubt I'd do that as the design on these is so amazing and the bag shape means it takes alsorts.

NB. The price of the saddle isn't just about the weight. The damping effect of this is really really good (don't think I've ridden anything as comfy on a long ride).
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I think it will be OK unless the rails are thin wall tubes. The seat post clamp is probably worse and they will be designed to resist these. I know I tend to be overly casual about such stuff but I'd be tempted with some bits of inner tube to spread the clamping force a bit.