The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Verena

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:31 pm
Verena wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:46 pm First "secret" Christmas present, which accidentally fell into the wrong hands and got opened....oops....
One of those fancy aeros pillows, which had been so warmly recommended to me... until Reg just posted this week that he doesn't like it much... :roll:
Mr Z has now put it away somewhere safe for the big day, which is almost guaranteed to mean that he won't be able to find it, and it'll turn about around May.... :roll:
No no, it's dead good honestly! Plump feather-filled pillow? You won't tell the difference.
Hmmm... we'll see...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Tell you what, you can have a go of mine when I see you on the SWWB. If it turns out to be a dud, Mr Z will have plenty of time to get his money back and swap it for a huge box of Crimbo chox instead :-bd .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:03 pm Tell you what, you can have a go of mine when I see you on the SWWB. If it turns out to be a dud, Mr Z will have plenty of time to get his money back and swap it for a huge box of Crimbo chox instead :-bd .
O gawd, is this now officially pillow talk ?!? :shock: :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

:lol:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

...with something to focus on through the dark nights in the form of a couple of paper maps and guidebooks for an adventure in the new year.
RIP

Post by RIP »

woodsmith wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:45 pm paper maps
Good man. Nowt to beat 'em.

PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

...and dropped off a Montane Prism from the classifieds just in time for winter.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

2 insulated dry bags for my fork cradles from some very kind bloke in mid Wales :-bd

rudedog

Post by rudedog »

My new Copper Spur HV1 tent arrived today so I've finally replaced my trusty Vango helium 200 after 11 years of happy camping. Hopefully the new tent will be just as reliable.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Some stuff came in a few weeks back that I forgot to stick on here. There was a thread a while back on bothy slippers so after a bit of searching found and ordered;

Pair of Nordisk Down Slippers (that's the wife's xmas sorted) so a quick search on Bikeinn and I added the following :lol:

Cateye Orb flashy front light (been a bit of fog here recently). Lezyne Micro Drive Pro 800xl to replace the broken Cateye.

A couple of Gorilla Cage Dry bags, although the Gorilla cages came with the Longitude I've never needed them yet but I've a couple of longer trips planned for next year and I though some spare clothes might be handy. (I've actually got quite a few dry bags for sea kayaking but either too small or too wide. As they've got the loops sewn on for fitting to the cage might be useful on the odd occasion as a kayak deck bag.
Finally a Zefal Z top tube bag (apparently aero lol) for the road bike as I hate carrying food in the jersey pockets.

First time ordering from Bikeinn and all went smoothly about a week or so from ordering to receipt.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

...with a competition runners-up Goody-Bag from Bikepacking.com of stickers, Viole straps, bandanas, patches and such that I'd forgotten all about, and a couple of pairs of Vulpine merino shorts from Sport Pursuit.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

With a big box containing the first half of this year's Winter event goodies. I'm expecting a second box any day, maybe even today. :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
psling

Post by psling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:16 am With a big box containing the first half of this year's Winter event goodies. I'm expecting a second box any day, maybe even today. :-bd
Job lot from HSBC...? :grin:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

...with the columbia outdry extreme mesh jacket I'd thought I'd treat myself to on Black friday. Oh dear. Looks, feels and smells exactly like a black bin liner. Plus the sizing is miles out, medium is more like a large and the hood is utter poor show, the adjustment is internal and can't be reached with the zip done up. I couldn't exchange it for a smaller size even if I wanted to as they don't do exchanges, only refunds and they're now back at full price. :roll:
Outdry fans I urge you to give this iteration a miss. Oh well the search continues for a waterproof that is actually waterproof......

At least the cheap as chips Lezyne Power cages don't need to go back.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Sounds like you'd be better off with a cheap-as-chips smelly black bin liner really :smile:.

Bad luck :sad:

JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Double post, please delete this one
Last edited by JohnClimber on Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

After years of mummy sleeping bags, to quilts and back again I think I may finally be happy............. Yeh we've all said that before haven't we?

No zippers, loads of room inside, clever and very simple design, fits to the mattress perfectly. Plenty of room for a good sized inflatable pillow, simple be effective closure.
Perfect for side sleepers, the bag doesn't twist around when you do, no insulation to crush when you lay on it. Foot ventilation option too.
Worked well in this evenings sub zero garage and warm kitchen tests. Plenty of room inside if you wear clothing or down jackets, boots and trousers too.
My first Sierra Designs item and the quality looks top notch too.

Saturday should see it's first outing but in the van, so I'll leave the heater off for the night.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

JohnClimber wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:19 pm After years of mummy sleeping bags, to quilts and back again I think I may finally be happy............. Yeh we've all said that before haven't we?

No zippers, loads of room inside, clever and very simple design, fits to the mattress perfectly. Plenty of room for a good sized inflatable pillow, simple be effective closure.
Perfect for side sleepers, the bag doesn't twist around when you do, no insulation to crush when you lay on it. Foot ventilation option too.
Worked well in this evenings sub zero garage and warm kitchen tests. Plenty of room inside if you wear clothing or down jackets, boots and trousers too.

Saturday should see it's first outing but in the van, so I'll leave the heater off for the night.
John... I seem to remember that there is a site where you can go to 'check my down'. You put in some details from inside one of the tags of your SD and it will come up with more production info. I recall mine stating 650 (or something like that) but the QC site actually clarifying that it was closer to 750 (or something like that).

I think I figured it out from juat looking through the various paperwork in the bag or maybe someone on here shared a link. I'll try and have a look too...
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Here we go. Pretty certain it's this site...

https://www.trackmydown.com/

Congrats btw...
RIP

Post by RIP »

After a particularly challenging few days at the Perrinery the postie has saved my insanity by turning up with a copy of the book of Sir Henry At Rawlinson End - of course, Sir Viv Stanshall's masterpiece. Very difficult to get hold of these days, I just happened to search for it for no reason the other day, and unbelievably it appeared for the princely sum of a garden gate, mate, on Abe.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus fed, Miss Havershambling opsimath and eremite, feudal still, reactionary Rawlinson End…..

In his adolescence, during the summer, in a northerly direction parallel to the Earthly axis, Hubert would throw himself naked onto the lawn, and with that loathsome bluey Roman clock-face tattooed about his private parts, think about Jean Harlow very hard, and, from the shadow cast, tell the time with remarkable accuracy….

And who could forget Old Scrotum, the wrinkled retainer, one of the best, and shortest at five words, jokes of all time....

Nowt to do with cycling? Sir Henry rides a unicycle!

Armed with this, and a copy of Under Milk Wood, you'll never need to buy another book again....

Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

JohnClimber wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:19 pm After years of mummy sleeping bags, to quilts and back again I think I may finally be happy............. Yeh we've all said that before haven't we?

Looks lovely. Always fancied one of their quilts.

What are you storing in the excess length of that bag though :wink: :grin:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Full first sleep review here on this linky
https://www.bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/ ... untry-bed/
psling

Post by psling »

I have one of their Cloud 20 bags and it is indeed a lovely snuggly bag, easy to get in and out and roomy for my 16 stone bulk. I also have their Backcountry Bivvy bag and the two of them work very well as a system.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Boab

Post by Boab »

... and dropped off some wheels from Superstar. For £51 I can't complain, but am left wondering just how tubeless ready they are with those holes near the bead. Best track down some 30mm wide Tessa Tape.

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just wrap them with Gorilla tape Bob.
May the bridges you burn light your way