Equinox

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Equinox

Post by RIP »

OK, 'Live BaM In Progress'. A last minute decision after prodding by the ever-persuasive Verena. I chucked some gear on the bike and started to scout round the house for all the essentials for a jolly pagan night out. I believe the nude dancing at midnight is confined to the Summer Solstice so I packed my jimjams first, then it was ransack the kitchen cupboards. We've already mentioned the infernal goose, but the fruit and veg was a bit easier.

Oh, you can listen to this while reading these ravings: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sebSXrmdo1Y

If we look at Verena's website it says you need the following: an altar with fruit and veg on it, some pecan nuts and hazelnuts and a goose, some apples to 'feast on' (doesn't sound much of a feast to me), some 'moon cakes' (I substituted with some chocolate muffins out of the freezer, hope that's ok), a visit to Stonehenge, and 'watch a shadowy snake at a Mayan temple'. Hmm.

Anyway, I did my very best with the fruit and veg altar. See what you think. Made out of seed trays. It's got (drooping!) candles and everything. Plenty of fire extinguishing water handy in my bottle don't worry.

Even managed the hazelnuts AND the pecan nuts so the gods should be well happy.

Last edited by RIP on Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:41 am, edited 5 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Re: Equinox

Post by RIP »

C n B for Stu....

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

Almost a goose.

RIP

Post by RIP »

The "ancestors" bit was harder because they're all 100 miles away in Derbyshire, so my plan was to bivvy at the pet cemetery in the country park because at least they're somebody's ancestors. Getting dark now after all those altar sacrifices....

Last edited by RIP on Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP

Post by RIP »

and Stonehenge? Brainwave! Even more famous than the real one is of course Spinal Tap's Stonehenge. And as luck would have it I do indeed possess the rare limited edition Stonehenge-shaped EP!! "This is the piece??? Are you telling me this is it????".....

Go on, you know you want to play it:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zg5Ovdu6bOE

Reminds me when I saw them live at the Albert Hall and ended up at the backstage party afterwards!
Last edited by RIP on Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

You are a legend :-bd

I feel bad that I've bottled it, but the forecast here is rain all night and Ralph says he's done 3 nights in the rain in September already and didn't want another soaking :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

So I thought I might kip in the curious dilapidated shed (miles from anything else in the country park, quite bizarre) next to the pet cemetery but the bloody thing was a foot too short and my legs stuck out! Didn't fancy that as it was starting to rain. But cemetery and shed... honestly, it's the best bivvy combo going. Apart from cemetery and toilet block obviously.

Last edited by RIP on Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RIP

Post by RIP »

So time to flap and try to find some covered shelter as I couldn't be arsed to put the tarp up.

Ah! Old woodshed near the offices. Perfect. In we go. All set up, and just time for a pagan beer before turning in. Happy Equinox you lot :-bd

Last edited by RIP on Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RIP

Post by RIP »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:48 pm You are a legend :-bd

I feel bad that I've bottled it, but the forecast here is rain all night and Ralph says he's done 3 nights in the rain in September already and didn't want another soaking :lol:
Nah, you da man! And Ralph. All that rain you put up with mate - you're catching me up in the Rain God stakes :-bd

PS. and yes I failed with the snake and Mayan temple :sad: .

Verena

Post by Verena »

Yep, I'm out as well on what will surely be one of those memorable nights...so far it's all been a bit chaotic, but I'm in and out of the rain of sorts, have done some feasting, and as long as the river doesn't rise too much during the night, shall live to tell the whole sorry tale in the morning :lol:

I shall now move on to making that list of things I'm grateful for whilst hopefully drifting off to sleep...

Good night all
Verena

Post by Verena »

So, my equinox bivvy, well that was quite a laugh in the end!!

I left home late at about ten, it was always going to be just a little local one down the road. As the clouds were low, I had changed my mind from the initial plan of the higher, private/ do not enter wooded slopes, to my usual riverside spot, hoping to stay underneath the clouds...

It all started to go a bit weird right from the start - I met our neighbour on my way out, who asked me where on earth I was heading this time of the night.... awkward! I mumbled something fairly non committal I hope....

Short hop down to the end of the tarmac lane, and then I would be off road for the rest of the way. I stopped to send a little message to Reg to say I was out to play, and as I did so, I heard strange noises coming from the direction of my chosen field....bit like late summer combine harvesters working late into the night, except it's September and it was drizzling... did not fill me full of confidence...This was shortly followed by a landrover passing me, saying a cheery Hi to be fair, and heading down "my" track. This track goes literally nowhere in particular, other than to the field I was planning to sleep in.... didn't fancy that any more.

I wasn't well equipped for any sort of plan B, as I had just my head torch, no proper bike lights, so couldn't go on any roads. Only option was to go to the other field by the river, which is practically in town, on prime dog walking/ teenage partying territory, but I did remember a spot with some overhanging trees where I had seen a tent at some stage during the summer...

When I got there, I found that there were a fair few tall nettles under said tree, but it was now starting to rain properly, so there was no option really but to hang my tent up in the tree, shove my stuff underneath, then climb in and rip up nettles from inside :roll: . Probably deserves a place in my top three worst pitches ever.... sleeping on a slope in a patch of nettles, in the rain right next to a river, on the flood plain....

As for the equinox celebrations, no time to make an altar or anything, but I had come equipped: An apple and cider to feast on. Nuts to also feast on, which I had decided were eminently more practical to transport encased in chocolate :oops: . A boiled egg to try and balance, which didn't work so well as I had squished it during transport.... To be honest, the Mayan snake and the visit to ancestors had completely slipped my mind, but I did catch the occasional whiff of something that smelled like it had died not so long ago... does that count??
The fattened goose likewise was a bit of a challenge, so I had to make do with a flamingo - close enough right? :lol: It had a handy sort of compartment in the belly for putting snacks in, for extra challenge and mental stimulation I think, which was right up my street, so I made good use of that for my chocolate.
There were also lots of ducks quacking nearby all night, which was sort of goose like - ish.

I was well underway with getting squiffy on my strong cider, when I knocked it over and spilled at least half the bottle :cry: , leaving a pleasant apple flavour with me all night...

I was going to be good and leave some chocolate for the morning or 3 am snack, but then heard a suspicious noise outside I thought, which made me think of rats, near river and all that, and immediately had the mental image of rat not just eating my chocolate, but then proceeding to gnaw at my face as I slept, so I thought I'd play it safe and ate everything I had....

ImageIMG_20220922_225310 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

On a more serious note, I had as suggested on the website spent some time during the day pondered on the whole theme of "darkness" and light, and the balance between them, and also made a mental list of things that I am grateful for. That was a nice thing to do I thought.

By the morning, it had all dried up, I had dozed for the last couple of hours before it got light with the tent door open, and when I got out and had a look at it all, it actually looked like quite a nice little spot. One dog walker passed, no bother at all.

ImageIMG_20220923_075139 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Sat by the river for a coffee, and it was really really lovely, in the soft autumny warm morning sunshine and a little bit of mist, then headed home for breakfast.

ImageIMG_20220923_075229 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
RIP

Post by RIP »

Fair play for getting out there Verena, and big compliments for winging it in not ideal conditions. If a panda counts, a flamingo certainly does :smile:

TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Honestly, funniest thread forever ... lovely
I'm just going outside ...
Verena

Post by Verena »

Thanks BrownDog, glad you're enjoying it.

Actually, that reminds me, I don't know you, but whenever I see your name I think of a guy I used to work with called Dave. He told me that when he first moved to Wales and started learning Welsh, he used to go round shaking hands with people and introducing himself, and get funny looks, because he was actually saying "Hello, I'm a brown dog" :lol:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
Well done folks. Don't worry Verena, a rat won't gnaw your face if there is an egg nearby (and chocolate)